The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

I have no problem with this.  Guy bought a ticket, paid money for his jersey, was disappointed at the product on the ice, why not throw away the jersey in disgust?  Doesn't matter whose name is on the back, and may in fact show more disgust with it being a Sedin jersey, that you're willing to give up something valuable to you to show you are fed up with the state of the team.  Same as if you throw the hat on the ice to show appreciation after a hat trick. If it was English football, they'd have burned the coach in effigy a long time ago, along with death threats to players.  I'm a Crystal Palace supporter, I know ...    

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

the "bad habits" that JR keeps talking about is actually a curse put on by the team by Baumer, to be inclined to stick to his defensive systems long after he's gone

that and the undead zombie named jason king currently very present in behind the bench

6y10ir.jpg

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/wild/yeo-hints-at-divided-locker-room-felt-like-there-were-almost-two-groups

Straight out of his own mouth.  It's been a pattern everywhere he goes and the common denominator is a coach who has demonstrated that he's unwilling to conduct himself like a professional.  JR needs to do what he did with Doerrie and get rid of this cancer before the problem becomes worse.

Speaking of divided rooms, did anyone else find it a little weird when Luke Schenn went on afterhours and talked about how he’d tried to book a “table for 10” for a “team dinner” on the road?

Were only ten guys invited? Or were only ten willing to eat together?

It’s probably nothing. Most likely some of the other guys made different plans or maybe a few just wanted to stay in their rooms.

But at the same time, first trip of the year, first weekend on the road together as a team, and a veteran player is hosting a team dinner. You’d think, on a tight knit team, more than ten guys would be coming, if they were all invited.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Speaking of divided rooms, did anyone else find it a little weird when Luke Schenn went on afterhours and talked about how he’d tried to book a “table for 10” for a “team dinner” on the road?

Were only ten guys invited? Or were only ten willing to eat together?

It’s probably nothing. Most likely some of the other guys made different plans or maybe a few just wanted to stay in their rooms.

But at the same time, first trip of the year, first weekend on the road together as a team, and a veteran player is hosting a team dinner. You’d think, on a tight knit team, more than ten guys would be coming, if they were all invited.

Maybe just to be nicer to the restaurant and get a couple of tables.

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

How about not buying tickets and go act like whinny children? 

The only message it sends is that Canucks fans are just as of a laughing stock as the team.  They represent us all, not just themselves unfortunately, just like the rioters.  

Lol it’s not just ticket buyers. Pay for cable? Pay for ESPN+ or SportsNet’s streaming options?

Also not laughing stock. Fans care enough to show emotion. You need to go watch some EuroLeague Fútbol or something really understand what happens when fans are displeased. 

the rioters were not fans. They were out of town goofballs. The fans were the ones that cleaned up the next day. This isn’t a parallel. 

• Like 1

A lot of people here are thinking about the money it cost.  Do you folks know how much a lower bowl experience costs??  $100 for a ticket plus at least $30 in food and drink.  Poor people probably won't sit in the lower bowl, let alone come to a Canucks game.  That person's wallet (and conscience) are gonna be okay.  

5 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Lol it’s not just ticket buyers. Pay for cable? Pay for ESPN+ or SportsNet’s streaming options?

Also not laughing stock. Fans care enough to show emotion. You need to go watch some EuroLeague Fútbol or something really understand what happens when fans are displeased. 

the rioters were not fans. They were out of town goofballs. The fans were the ones that cleaned up the next day. This isn’t a parallel. 

Uh, no?  I won't speak for other teams, but you don't think Canucks fans have what it takes to trash the city again?  They were local Canucks fans and are part of the reason we have a terrible, entitled reputation on par with Leafs fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Nice find. Good prices if they are not fake ones. 

Edited by Jaimito

3 hours ago, AV. said:

Leafs threw a jersey and bagged Matthews
Oilers threw a jersey and bagged McDavid

Just give me Bedard and call it a day.

Didn't they tossed the jersey even after getting those players?  I think they tossed it last few seasons too. 

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

In 2022 your comment has more merit - but not necessarily applicable to some; perhaps to most, depending on where.   Anyways, ANOTHER miserable start to a season but a winning streak, here & there should appease most.

While I can't disagree with a fan showing dissatisfaction by throwing his jersey on the ice, I really don't think the teams early record over the last while is bad enough to warrant all caps for "ANOTHER miserable start"

The team actually has a pretty good record in October over the last decade (seems to be the consensus starting point for when the team started to consistently do poorly).

October record for the last 10 seasons (overall record in brackets):

2013-14: 9-5-1 (36-35-11)

2014-15: 7-3-0 (48-29-5)

2015-16: 5-2-4 (31-38-13)

2016-17: 4-4-1 (30-43-9)

2017-18: 6-3-2 (31-40-11)

2018-19: 8-6-0 (35-36-11)

2019-20: 8-3-1 (36-27-6)

2020-21(10 games approx proportional to normal October): 5-5-0 (23-29-4)

2021-22: 3-5-1 (40-30-12)

2022-23 (to date): 0-4-2 (?)

Total: 55-40-12

This is only the 2nd time in the last decade we've been sub .500 for the end of October and still a few games to improve it. We've actually typically had pretty good starts despite terrible seasons overall.

That being said I do agree that this is unacceptable and a clear sign of a major problem in the team construction/personnel. I believe that a major roster shake up is going to be the best thing to wake this team up.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

So you think it's just a matter of them not caring? I don't...I think they care a whole lot.

It's a matter of them learning how to let go of the "fear of losing" that they've developed. It's not like they've completely sucked...they've played some good hockey but not for the duration.

We have to let go of last year (and the years before) at some point too....to face forward and not give up on the team a handful of games in because we're somehow pinning a whole decade on them (still boggles my mind that people try to do that, despite me posting the difference in line ups from then to now). It's so extremely exaggerated....this team's been at it a lot less than a decade.

If last year taught us anything, it's that they're capable of turning things around.

At the end of the day, we all just want to see them win. Whether you are for or against the jersey toss.

The optimist in me still thinks this team snags a wildcard spot.

Also think JT turns it around, I was a big supported of the signing.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

At no point did I say it was an human right issue. A protest is a statement or action to show disapproval of something. That is exactly what the jersey on the ice was. A fan payed big money to go to that game,  disapproved of the lack luster performance of the team, voiced their disapproval. It was intentionally disrespectful, and while I don't agree with it, it was within their rights to do so.

Quite frankly, I hope the team felt disrespected. Hopefully it lights a fire under their ass to do better.

Actually, no...you can't throw things. Although they do make provision for hats during a hat trick, people can (and have been) thrown out for throwing stuff onto the ice.

You can protest outside the building...inside, you have codes of conduct to abide by.

Besides, it's kind of dumb to "protest" a team losing games. They aren't doing it on purpose, they want to win, they just aren't. 

Paying for entry does not give you the right to do what you like...believe me, they have rules. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Actually, no...you can't throw things. Although they do make provision for hats during a hat trick, people can (and have been) thrown out for throwing stuff onto the ice.

You can protest outside the building...inside, you have codes of conduct to abide by.

Besides, it's kind of dumb to "protest" a team losing games. They aren't doing it on purpose, they want to win, they just aren't. 

Paying for entry does not give you the right to do what you like...believe me, they have rules. 

Sure they can. They did. Are they supposed to? No, but they can. Fans throw hats, catfish, octopus and more on the ice. They aren't supposed to, but they do, sometimes.

They should be thrown out, they should be barred for coming back for a certain amount of time too. It's a stupid thing to do. I never said paying gives you the right to do whatever you want, but it does give you the opportunity to voice your displeasure.

Edited by Shayster007

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I never said paying gives you the right to do whatever you want, but it does give you the opportunity to voice your displeasure.

You actually did say they had the right to:

it was within their rights to do so.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You actually did say they had the right to:

It's your right to break rules if you decide to. That's on you when those choices come with negative consequences. But that's a decision people can make. Just like people have the right to continue to support the team and turn a blind eye to the bs we've been exposed to this year.

When idiots glue themselves to the road it's illegal and stupid, but still their choice and right to do so.

Edited by Shayster007