The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

my guess is Poolman is done for good. That could be part of the rationale for this deal. 

Very much could be the case. This is why the media / some of the “fans” need to have an open mind / look at the big picture. Not much risk in this and as I said in another post, I guarantee they are still looking at long term solutions. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I see desperation in management right now, which brings back bad memories of Benning and how he threw away picks and prospects just to make the playoffs, which had led us into the situation we are in now.  Sure, this trade could work out, there is always room for optimism.  My concern however is that JR/PA are going to do everything in their power to try and get this team into the playoffs rather than do the right thing, which is to collect picks and prospects, open up cap space and properly rebuild this roster so that we can be become a Stanley Cup contender someday...

if that was the path they ever intended, it would have been started in the offseason. What makes you think they ever saw this as their idea of how to run the team?

If this is your pov, you're going to be frustrated all season. 

• Upvote 1

Might just be a case of the coach putting him in the doghouse because of his conditioning rather than his actual play? I would imagine Brindamour takes that pretty seriously.

Not saying conditioning isn’t a concern but it can definitely be fixed. He’s also still only 25.

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Maybe a 6? Kid was very good for Edmonton and then struggled to come back from Covid in Carolina. His profile also suits us much more than Carolina. 
A 5th round pick and people are bitching this really is Canucks land. 

Who's bitching?  The majority of the complaints are from the individuals who don't want to see the justified criticism stemming from this move.  They feel the need to mindless protect the team, as per.

The truth is, Canucks shouldn't be dealing picks, nor is Ethan Baer fixing anything in the grand scheme of things.  These are just facts and the people pointing this out and discussing this aren't bitching, or trolling, or whatever buzzword.

Hope this helps.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

For a 5th rounder, well worth the chance..

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Bear is undoubtedly better than the vast majority of 5th rounders.

I agree that this move is ok. Still don't like trading away draft picks, but Ethan is likely to help the team and his cap hit is pretty good with Carolina retaining salary.

I think that taking on Lane Pederson was a benefit to Carolina and a cost to the Canucks as his minor league salary is $750K. It does not affect the cap for either team, but it helps Carolina to get rid of that salary as Pederson has been disappointing this season even at the AHL level.

Still, there is some chance that he plays well in Abby.

It is another "win now" move, but not too costly. 

Just now, RakuRaku said:

I don't get it.. so the Canes made us pick up their filler in Lane Pederson (AHL journeyman) but is willing to cover 18% of Bear's salary?? Do we even have any value in Pederson? just another Studnicka who got some "top 9 potential"?? 

Stud is a little younger and has more upside. Ped is pretty much set in stone AHL/veteran call up. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Thats good. The usual haters will do their thing I'm sure. 

Isn't it kind of like still being mad at your old boss for something happening at work today? I mean how far back should we go to be frustrated? 

What do you want to use the picks for? if you can exchange a late round pick for an NHL quality player you do that every time if you have the roster room.

Are mad about the trade, or mad about the lack of a dedicated tank?

To the date Rutherford was hired I suppose? You can't blame him for what happened before he was here, but being frustrated with what's happened since this management group took over is reasonable. Up until now I didn't have a real issue with how they utilized picks. We got one for Hamonic, we moved it for a guy with term in Dermott. 

Now we've moved a 2nd and a 5th in under a month, and it's now that my stance on how they've utilized picks has pivoted. Does that not seem reasonable? 

Could have gotten one of those numerous times off waivers since the beginning of the season, I've touched on that. Bear has 190 NHL games to his name, could have grabbed Ben Harpur who's got 156 off waivers for free. One could argue you take the NHL quality player off waivers for no cost the same way one could argue taking one back for a late round pick. 

I haven't once said I'm mad, don't know where you're getting that from. Frustrated? Disappointed? Sure. I haven't mentioned tanking in this thread, most of my ire has been towards moving picks out and that's historically pretty on brand for me. You know where I stand on the state of this club but you're also reaching a bit. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Doxm said:

You people will b**ch and moan if we do nothing, yet b**ch and moan even more if we do something. There's no pleasing any of you. 

I for one welcome this trade, we need RD badly & Carolina ate some of the salary all for a 5th round pick. W in my book. 

Old tattered book Stock Photo by ©mamontenok 1545323

Edited by AV.

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

Who's bitching?  The majority of the complaints are from the individuals who don't want to see the justified criticism stemming from this move.  They feel the need to mindless protect the team, as per.

The truth is, Canucks shouldn't be dealing picks, nor is Ethan Baer fixing anything in the grand scheme of things.  These are just facts and the people pointing this out and discussing this aren't bitching, or trolling, or whatever buzzword.

Hope this helps.

Short sighted / ignorant / negative stuff from you as usual! 

Hope this helps. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

They were all racist? I didn't realize that

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31518504/edmonton-oilers-express-frustration-racist-comments-aimed-defenseman-ethan-bear-tremendous-role-model

Maybe not at all of them but let's not sugarcoat it: the average Oilers fan is an ignorant piece of garbage at best.