The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

they had to trade dickinson, otherwise we were screwed with our cap

I don't believe that's true, but for argument's sake, if you are correct, that's one of about ten moves I listed there that's "necessary".

Not a great view of our asset management, is it?

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

they had to trade dickinson, otherwise we were screwed with our cap

That's where these came into play:

It's only 3M for Sam Gagner
It's only 3M each for Antoine Roussel and Jay Beagle
It's only 1.9M for Tim Schaller
It's only 2.5M for Tucker Poolman

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so if I'm reading this chart correctly, we need to pair him with a better retrieval player, but then get him the puck because he'll get it out.

But he won't be skating it out as much has passing - so maybe thats what didn't fit Rod the Bod's system? he likes his skaters, which is pretty much the only skill Chatfield has. 

Yeah exactly

There've been too many cases of OEL chipping the puck out off the glass, or ringing it around the boards. I think Bear could help him, and Bear's ability to deny opposing entries could create a pretty stifling D pairing to play against. 

And hallelujah we finally have another defenseman that can kill penalties

Pretty excited to see him over the next few games

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

That is gross, but trust me that is not the majority of albertans. that's a select few.

quit your hate bro

The majority of Albertans are incredibly ignorant and incompatible with civilized society, especially when you get outside the cities.  There's no reason that i should pretend to respect the Oilers or the vermin they have as fans.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 2

Just now, VforVasili said:

So you are saying there weren’t multiple posts saying that the “Pom Pom crew” wouldn’t allow people to criticize the team? 

One post from one user, in which he was saying that line in response to a comment about there being "haters" doing their usual bit. 

The gist of his message is what you should be reading into, anyway.  For any given move that happens with this team, there are two sides.  Those that like it and those that don't.  Guess which side makes it a habit to tell the other side just how wrong they are, how vile they are, how negative, how toxic, how fake, etc?  Consider that for a moment.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AV. said:

It's only a 2nd for Linden Vey
It's only a 6th for Emerson Etem
It's only a 3rd for Andrey Pedan
It's only a 2nd with Jared McCann
It's only a 2nd and Tyler Madden
It's only a 2nd to dump Jason Dickinson

And when playoffs roll around, it's ALWAYS the Canucks on the outside looking in.

Makes you wonder...

If bear returns to his top-4 form, you don't think this will end up being a good deal?

We can easily recoup that 5th round pick. We got a 4th for Tyler Motte as a 4th line winger rental who we had no intention of re-signing. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AV. said:

It's only a 2nd for Linden Vey
It's only a 6th for Emerson Etem
It's only a 3rd for Andrey Pedan
It's only a 2nd with Jared McCann
It's only a 2nd and Tyler Madden
It's only a 2nd to dump Jason Dickinson

And when playoffs roll around, it's ALWAYS the Canucks on the outside looking in.

Makes you wonder...

You don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take. On ther flipside you don't score on 100% of the shots you do take either. Every move made carries risk.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Explain? So you are saying there weren’t multiple posts saying that the “Pom Pom crew” wouldn’t allow people to criticize the team? 

There are people who go after users with any criticisms of the team.

Again though, ridiculous comparison that you were making.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IRR said:

Hey Master Mind…go hang with your buddy AV and leave these forums alone. God, what joke! 

Why would I leave? I thought you hated negativity, so why are you being so negative to me? I'm just giving my thoughts on the trade.

Also, if you're going to call someone a joke, at least have proper grammar. You even edited the post and still didn't correct that part...

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

where did demko, boeser, pettersson and hughes (most of the core) come from again? and podkolzin and hoglander?

just because you choose to interpret a statement a certain way doesn't mean the maker of that statement is beholden to your interpretation. benning did exactly what he said he was going to. he made too many mistakes and it didn't work out for him, but he did it, nevertheless. 

Yeah because we sucked and were in the lottery. 

Outside of the first round in the last 8 years we have Hoglander and Demko playing regular minutes for us, yikes!  We have no organizational depth after 8 years of what should have been rebuilding.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

If bear returns to his top-4 form, you don't think this will end up being a good deal?

We can easily recoup that 5th round pick. We got a 4th for Tyler Motte as a 4th line winger rental who we had no intention of re-signing. 

He was never a top-4 guy, though.  Well, not in the traditional sense, anyway.  More like a Poolman in Winnipeg, or how Aaron Rome was for us way back when.

Isn't about time we stop with the lotto tickets and just go out and get the real thing?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take. On ther flipside you don't score on 100% of the shots you do take either. Every move made carries risk.

Maybe then, the idea is to take better quality shots instead of those in the dark?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Please tell me how many impact defensemen have been drafted in the 5th round I’ll wait. 

I realize you didn’t direct  the question to me but I’m happy to provide an answer. Cheers Pears

Sergei Zubov

Garry Galley

Adrian Aucoin

John Klingberg

John-Michael Liles

Jaroslav Spacek

JaKeMuzzin

Kevin Bieksa

James Wisniewski

Richard Smehlik

Marcus Ragnarsson

Brad Shaw

Colin Miller

Pierre Lacroix

Randy Hillier

Aaron Miller

Will Butcher

Rob Palmer

Rob Scuderi

Ben Hutton

Ken Sutton

Thomas Eriksson

Nick Jensen

Greg Hotham

Gustav Forsling

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Thanks 1

Conservative approach finally paying off, this is a minor deal but a good one and a much needed one. Bear pretty much slots into our top 4 and will get 20 minutes right away after having not played for a while. He'll be rusty, and he'll get exposed and people will call for his head, but at least he's a warm body and a 5th most likely will account to nothing. At 500k less salary, this is a great deal.

I hope this isn't management's long-term plan to fixing our pathetic defence. Even when the thin Canuck's D is healthy, Bear is no better than Burroughs IMO and he's about to show everyone why he's moved around so much and never stuck. Let's hope the fresh start helps him put all his tools together and become a solid 20+ minute defenceman.

There's always a chance he becomes that 30 point, 70-80 game 20+ minute RD he was in the past and reaches a higher potential with us, and if he does, we've really got a winner here. I think that chance is low and he'll revert back to a bottom pairing guy, but right now anyone helps.

1 minute ago, AV. said:

One post from one user, in which he was saying that line in response to a comment about there being "haters" doing their usual bit. 

The gist of his message is what you should be reading into, anyway.  For any given move that happens with this team, there are two sides.  Those that like it and those that don't.  Guess which side makes it a habit to tell the other side just how wrong they are, how vile they are, how negative, how toxic, how fake, etc?  Consider that for a moment.

Hope this helps.

Pretty ironic for the guy whose first post in this thread was pure over the top trolling. 

Not sure what else to call a post that provokes a dozen responses that amount to the wtf meme. 

Hope this helps. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1