The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess JR/PA must figure Rathbone will be as good/effective as Marino sooner than later, but there's still the issue of a lack of RHD depth. My spidey sense tells me we don't have all the details, or maybe JR just sat on his balls on this one. 

Maybe, it's hard to say as this management group has been tight lipped and effective at managing leaks (which I do see as a positive). 

Oh yeah, there is. Maybe Bear's part of the solution, we'll find out. It brings me back to what @aGENT and I have repeatedly discussed, Myers has on year remaining on his deal and there's a good chance that sooner than later we may need not just one, but two top 4RD. There's no succession plan in place, we've little to nothing in the system that projects as a top 4RD beyond Filip Johansson. Maybe Woo turns into something, I haven't been encouraged by how he's developed as I had high hopes. There's still time though, I hope he has a good season as we could really benefit from him hitting his potential. Some of the angst regarding our D also stems from management largely ignoring drafting D prospects where you're most likely to get D prospects, the first two round. It's why our trading away so many 2nd round picks over the last decade frustrates me so much, you're so much more likely to get players out of the 1st and 2nd round. 

If I remember correctly the last D we'd drafted with a 2nd prior to Woo was Sauve back in 2008.

Management can't fix it all at once but they need to start addressing our lack of quality D prospects sooner than later. I think what happens over the next month or two could be telling, guess we'll see. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AV. said:

To add to that, the Blues are the anomaly in every sense of the word.  They had been a consistent playoff team for years prior, not one like ours trying to break the cusp, while struggling to address the ailing holes it's had for multiple seasons.

(Most) NHL franchises do not go without playoff appearances for long, and if they do at least they eventually get back and are successful. Id take our 2 playoff appearances in 10 years, if we now had a contending team. As it stands there is hardly a glimmer of contention with this current team, and soooo frustrating the more you think about it. 

• Huggy Bear 1

@-DLC-

Well, I believe in you, and don't think your views are out of reality. Having faith in the professionals and throwing away the armchair is probably very healthy for you.

What goes behind the closed doors of a coach, GM and Owner at the NHL level are not known by the vast majority of the people in this forum. How can I judge something I know hardly anything about, I'm very positive there is more to it than meets the eyes.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

aren't you though if you're suggesting that they don't really have a grasp on what the team really is? It's no different from people calling out others when all they bring is negative comments. Seems like two sides of the same coin to me.

I don't care what someone does. I just don't understand why someone would engage with something that always made them upset. But if thats their thing, OK. 

What do you mean you don’t care what someone does? Aren’t you the guy that that invited like 10 people in DM with a mod and tried to tattle on them? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, it's hard to say as this management group has been tight lipped and effective at managing leaks (which I do see as a positive). 

Oh yeah, there is. Maybe Bear's part of the solution, we'll find out. It brings me back to what @aGENT and I have repeatedly discussed, Myers has on year remaining on his deal and there's a good chance that sooner than later we may need not just one, but two top 4RD. There's no succession plan in place, we've little to nothing in the system that projects as a top 4RD beyond Filip Johansson. Maybe Woo turns into something, I haven't been encouraged by how he's developed as I had high hopes. There's still time though, I hope he has a good season as we could really benefit from him hitting his potential. Some of the angst regarding our D also stems from management largely ignoring drafting D prospects where you're most likely to get D prospects, the first two round. It's why our trading away so many 2nd round picks over the last decade frustrates me so much, you're so much more likely to get players out of the 1st and 2nd round. 

If I remember correctly the last D we'd drafted with a 2nd prior to Woo was Sauve back in 2008.

Management can't fix it all at once but they need to start addressing our lack of quality D prospects sooner than later. I think what happens over the next month or two could be telling, guess we'll see. 

its kind of why I keep thinking we should seriously entertain the idea of an offer sheet. 

To answer the poll: no I have not given up on the season. There’s plenty of time for trades/moves, and injuries can happen to other teams as well.

However, I have given up on the current Canucks squad and it’s current roster construction. Petey is a treasure and Bo seems to be playing at a different level, but they can’t do it all. That blue line is not playoff caliber and never was coming into the season. Until they fix it, the Nucks won’t be serious playoff threats.

• Vintage 2

42 minutes ago, AV. said:

Apology accepted. 

Perhaps, it might bring you comfort to know that your "shade" actually pales in comparison to the some of the abuse I've received on this forum, most of which has come in the last two or three years.  A select few on here have not shied away from personal insults, cheap, inflammatory jabs, and in one instance, a death threat.  I should state that it doesn't really bother me (people here are ultimately strangers, so it wouldn't make sense to take a whole lot of offence from those remarks), but I find it disturbing since we're all Canucks, no?  On a family site?

Admittedly, it's been tough to see the forum I grew up with, and came to love, deteriorate to this state, but, like Jared McCann, I accept it is what it is.  As it was suggested, there was a time when actual trolls existed.  The Shawn Rockers, the Steve Bennetts, the Tiger Singhs, the StinkyMetals, so on and so forth.  Those users lived to cause chaos and antagonize Canucks fans.  They had no interest in cheering for the team or engaging in discourse, much less treating the people on this forum with any respect.  Somewhere along the lines, this definition of trolls extended into people who see the team differently from those who choose to see it positively.  It's not a matter of minority vs majority; rather, in an effort to preserve positivity, this group antagonize those who don't meet that standard.  I know this because I see the statements all the time about how this place "can't become like Twitter or HF".  Funny that - I see takes or opinions in those diasporas all the time that I disagree with.  It never once occurred to me that I "have" to interact with these people and tell them how wrong they are, how vile they are, etc.  Why?  Because I accept that's how it works.  People say things and you can ignore it and not bother wasting energy.  Even the most ridiculous of takes - there's nothing binding me to prove that person "wrong" or attempt to change them. For me, let them be as ill-informed or wrong as they want.  No conflicts.  If anything, it demonstrates the true power and control of a mature person looking to engage in discourse.

But, as I said, for this place, sometimes it's not just about the opinions, but rather, it's about preserving the positivity that these opinions seemingly threaten and compromise.  For example, is there anything wrong with people saying this team is a not playoff-bound team?  Of course not.  But to those who desperately want this team to be a playoff one and who desperately hope and believe for the best results possible, it's way easier to abuse those saying these opinions rather than simply coming to terms with the reality in front of them because what they're saying, threatens what they want to believe about the team.

Anyways, this has been a long post.  I'll leave you with this - if I have ever "hated" on you, or thrown shade, I'd like to apologize in return.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if you have, actually. If you did it was many years ago. either way I always try to take the forgive and forget method.

Your post was written as well as it was thought out, which is nothing less than exceptional. Well done 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, the same way some might describe someone as toxic because of their views or expression of fandom seems to be. If someone wants to question how I engage in fandom or disagree with my takes on hockey itself that's fair game. I've repeatedly had folks imply I'm toxic because of my views over the last week or so, doesn't mean I don't think they're a Canucks fan. 

Difference is I'm not attacking their fandom and saying they're not a fan because they don't fan just like me. I've repeatedly said there's room for all sorts of views, takes, ect. Doesn't mean I have to agree with any of them though, but I don't begrudge anyone their expression.

Well said man.

With the current state of the team, fans are going to disagree and have different opinions on many things.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its kind of why I keep thinking we should seriously entertain the idea of an offer sheet. 

I dunno, who would you target? One player? A selection of maybes? Who piques your interest that you don't think a team would match on? I don't really give offer sheets much thought. 

Offer sheets are rarely utilized and during all his tenure I can't remember if a Rutherford team has ever tried it? I'd have to dig. I don't see it being a likely option though, GM's don't historically go that route. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Self explanatory have you given up on this season? Yay or nay? Maybe? Too early too tell? Ask me again in another 10 games?

If you are realistic yes,damn right you should!

The Canucks road to the playoffs goes through the Pacific but, in the way, there stands the Oilers,Flames,Kings, and Golden Knights who all have better teams and rosters.

What are the Canucks playing for really?

Is their d core even remotely worthy of consideration as playoff caliber?

If Demko doesn't play like a top 10 goalie every night do they have a chance to win?

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Do I think this team kinda sucks and probably isn’t playoff bound?    
Yes

Am I going to stop watching? 
Of course not. 

I don't know why, but the way you worded that was funny to me.

this is kinda my exact view of them.

they kinda suck and they kinda don't suck, but they kinda suck a little more.

still watching, still cheering. If they lose I hope they do it big time. This is not the year we win the cup.

• Cheers 1

Calling all stats whizzes

We need a large enough sample size (# of games) before an reliable trend is realized.   Would it be 30 games?  US Thanksgiving is about 20 games.

The Canucks have played 9 games which I know is too few to be significant.  Just looking over the schedule, the next 6 games are winnable.  If they won 5 out of the 6, their record would be 7-6-2 (15 games) and nobody would be complaining although they would need a better win % to make the playoffs, they wouldn't be out of it.  

I think that all of us get that to have a realistic shot at a cup, there is plenty of work left to do on the roster