The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Friedman says NYI scouting Canucks

86Viking

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller + Myers for Pageau + Pulock?  Fair?  

Meh. I'd rather just 50% retain Miller for this year and get the most value that way instead of taking money back. I really don't see Miller as this OEL like negative asset lol. Guys producing ppg still while being at his on ice lowest we have seen imo.

This is the year to try and get tons of young assets in the system for either roster or future trade purposes. We have alot of good pieces we need to be willing to sell for a bright and long term future. Would we really be any worse by selling off that entire "top" line miller-horvat-garland?

I don't think so as long as the cap savings / talent they bring back can fix the defensive side of our team. Moving both Miller and horvat would need to include us finishing bottom 5 and taking a C or getting a blue chipper back that can play next year however..

On 11/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bobby James said:

Trade them Miller. Islanders are starting better this year and are a team that is in their contending window. 

To NYI: 

JT Miller

To VAN: 

1st round draft pick

Bailey (decent player and to make the cap hit work)

Raty (young forward) or another prospect 

Something like that type of deal maybe? Fits into Islanders cap and gives them a solid offensive top 6 forward locked in. Canucks get another 1st and a prospect to help for the future. 

how about Miller $5,250

Schenn $,850

tot $6,100

for 1st

Bulduc

Raty

Mayfield $1,450

Johnston $1,100

Clutterbuck $1,750

tot $4,300

leave the Isle with $1,250 cap

My guess would be Kuzmenko.  He’s relatively unknown to the league, he’s having a good season and Canucks are not. He’s also a pending UFA and cheap, so trade deadline target .  My guess is just gathering info on him maybe few other Canucks players but nothing imminent 

just click bait by Friedman 

Edited by timberz21

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Pageau and Mayfield would round this team out. Boesers cap hit with those 2 is pretty much a wash. Would have to add a bit but Mayfield is a UFA, so may be able to get him for a bit less than normal, especially if he isn’t re signing in NY…yes both are older but they give this team more of what it needs. Pageau is a top tier 3 c and can win face offs no problem, plus insulates us if we lose Bo and can’t resign him, Mayfield solidifies our RD hole, plus adds some major grit to our back end. He’s way better than most our RD on this team. Which doesn’t say much lol, but he is.

The islanders are my eastern team, love the way both these players play the game. There are a lot of interesting names on that team I would love to have on ours…but realistically those are the two I could see coming our way in a trade.

If NYI would take JT back for a Pageau plus return then the Canucks sign Horvat I would be for that. If we could them get them to take on Pearson or someone else with some a cap hit around that maybe we take Beauvillier back in the deal he seems to be on the guy they might want to move more than Pageau. I think Pageau while getting paid 5m, could add a lot of good to this team on the PK and in the FO department AND he is a right shot C!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Hey CDC, I know it is CLICK BAIT...that is in EVERY thread involving players/coaches/managment etc! It is the MEDIA's JOB to SPARK up interest and discussion...it happens every time a thread like this occurs so get the F over it already, it won't be the last are you going to whine in every single thread!? Don't be on a hockey forum or don't click on the thread or use the IGNORE feature for people like myself who bring topics like this up...I use it, but I still come on here to discuss hockey. Is there likely a deal to happen, no but it's discussion non the less

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

My guess would be Kuzmenko.  He’s relatively unknown to the league, he’s having a good season and Canucks are not. He’s also a pending UFA and cheap, so trade deadline target .  My guess is just gathering info on him maybe few other Canucks players but nothing imminent 

just click bait by Friedman 

Want Kuzmenko? Give us Dobson.

I don't really get the sense EF is in the market of making up stories up for 'clickbait'. He has worked his way to the top by relaying credible information that comes his way. He's been doing this for a long time and I think it would be extremely short sighted to just start fabricating a story like this out of thin air.

I'm not some huge EF fan, but comparing his actions to the likes of what guys like Eklund and other charlatans have been doing for years is a bit of a reach. There's no question there are guys out there who are solely interested in trying to monetize on the hockey rumor craze, but EF ain't one of them IMO.

Scouts of teams are known in the hockey community and if the isles have scouts in our building then it would make sense they would get noticed by people in the 'know' and this info would naturally make its way to someone like EF.  Pro scouting it isn't exactly uncommon in the NHL. It's really not that unbelievable that this could be happening in any context, let alone with the team having the start we've had. 

As dysfunctional as this team has been for the last 10 years, there's no question right now we have a lot of high end talent that is presumably up for grabs it makes perfect sense that Lou would be the type of GM that would be ready to vulture some of this talent if it became available at a good price.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

From Capfriendly….

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:

The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.

The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.

All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.

Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.

Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Once a retained salary transcation has occurred, there are various limitations, such as:

A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.

All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.

Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

41 minutes ago, BPA said:

From Capfriendly….

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:

The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.

The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.

All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.

Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.

Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Once a retained salary transcation has occurred, there are various limitations, such as:

A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.

All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.

Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

Yup, nothing in there about having to retain on an extension that hasn't kicked in yet. IMO we could retain on his current contract, until it expires (this June) until I see something that suggest otherwise.

Even easier though would be simply to take back a lesser players at $2.5-$3m  as a warm body/cap relief though.

2 hours ago, The.Burrowers said:

I don't really get the sense EF is in the market of making up stories up for 'clickbait'. He has worked his way to the top by relaying credible information that comes his way. He's been doing this for a long time and I think it would be extremely short sighted to just start fabricating a story like this out of thin air.

I'm not some huge EF fan, but comparing his actions to the likes of what guys like Eklund and other charlatans have been doing for years is a bit of a reach. There's no question there are guys out there who are solely interested in trying to monetize on the hockey rumor craze, but EF ain't one of them IMO.

Scouts of teams are known in the hockey community and if the isles have scouts in our building then it would make sense they would get noticed by people in the 'know' and this info would naturally make its way to someone like EF.  Pro scouting it isn't exactly uncommon in the NHL. It's really not that unbelievable that this could be happening in any context, let alone with the team having the start we've had. 

As dysfunctional as this team has been for the last 10 years, there's no question right now we have a lot of high end talent that is presumably up for grabs it makes perfect sense that Lou would be the type of GM that would be ready to vulture some of this talent if it became available at a good price.

I agree with EFs credibility. He has a job to do at the end of the day. At least if he gets things completely sideways wrong, he will be the first one apologizing on TV/radio/online that he made a mistake. I respect that. I still feel like he goes about his business with integrity…compared to his fellow counter parts. 

Is he Bob Mackenzie, no. But he’s working his way there I think.