The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

you're a hard nut, coconut. 

This is about way more than hockey for me, I view it more through the lens of a social justice thing. And yeah, I understand the hate for Boston that some fans have because I was one of those fans. I was so angry when we lost, I didn't even want the city of Boston to exist anymore. 

But I moved past it, and I've grown up a lot since then. That loss will always be a sore spot, that was my favourite Canucks team ever, but it doesn't mean I have to pretend that every player on that team or who plays for the Bruins organization is somehow garbage as a human being. I've never heard anything bad about Marchand, Bergeron, or Chara off the ice despite anything they've ever done on the ice. I'm willing to separate the two, or at least recognize that behavior on the ice doesn't define a person. 

Doesn't mean I'm better than anyone who's angrier about it than I am nowadays, but for me this all boils down to bullying, racism, and someone with privilege having oppressed someone who's more marginalized than most. I don't believe that sort of action is something the guys in that locker room are behind, I don't believe it's something the entire fanbase is behind. 

What Miller did is disgusting, and if a lot of the hockey world didn't see that it wouldn't be getting so much publicity and there wouldn't be so many people talking about it. At least that's what I think.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is about way more than hockey for me, I view it more through the lens of a social justice thing. And yeah, I understand the hate for Boston that some fans have because I was one of those fans. I was so angry when we lost, I didn't even want the city of Boston to exist anymore. 

But I moved past it, and I've grown up a lot since then. That loss will always be a sore spot, that was my favourite Canucks team ever, but it doesn't mean I have to pretend that every player on that team or who plays for the Bruins organization is somehow garbage as a human being. I've never heard anything bad about Marchand, Bergeron, or Chara off the ice despite anything they've ever done on the ice. I'm willing to separate the two, or at least recognize that behavior on the ice doesn't define a person. 

Doesn't mean I'm better than anyone who's angrier about it than I am nowadays, but for me this all boils down to bullying, racism, and someone with privilege having oppressed someone who's more marginalized than most. I don't believe that sort of action is something the guys in that locker room are behind, I don't believe it's something the entire fanbase is behind. 

What Miller did is disgusting, and if a lot of the hockey world didn't see that it wouldn't be getting so much publicity and there wouldn't be so many people talking about it. At least that's what I think.

100%. 

I've been to Boston once since the finals, its a pretty neat place. Well parts of it. It does have some serious attitude tho :lol: but calling them all racists, etc. is over the top. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

100%. 

I've been to Boston once since the finals, its a pretty neat place. Well parts of it. It does have some serious attitude tho :lol: but calling them all racists, etc. is over the top. 

Never been to Boston, but have been to Sandpoint Idaho.  That was a terrible place for right wing crazy racists.  No way Boston is as bad as Sandpoint. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Never been to Boston, but have been to Sandpoint Idaho.  That was a terrible place for right wing crazy racists.  No way Boston is as bad as Sandpoint. 

I think parts of Boston get pretty gnarly, but I was downtown and also went to check out Harvard just to be able to make the joke that I went there. 

TBH it seemed a lot like a big Halifax. 

Edited by JM_

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thanks for posting this, pretty disgusting alright. I will go delete my prior post as it was written after clearly not being informed and in no way constructive to this subject. Thats horrible.

Of all the posts on this forum, these types reaffirm that humans still have a shot at making something, grand of our world.

great post!

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m glad Bettman stepped in and said hell no. Bruin management should be fired for this move. Pretty much all the Bruin players and Boston fans hated this signing. Absolutely no common sense.

Betman cancelled the contract?  Good for him.  That Miller kid shouldn’t be welcomed into the NHL.  

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Betman cancelled the contract?  Good for him.  That Miller kid shouldn’t be welcomed into the NHL.  

I don’t think Betman cancelled the contract. He said MM is not eligible to play in the NHL and is not even close to being eligible. The B’s can sign him to play in another league but that’s the other league’s problem. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

I don’t think Betman cancelled the contract. He said MM is not eligible to play in the NHL and is not even close to being eligible. The B’s can sign him to play in another league but that’s the other league’s problem. 

He just re-enforced that too, that he is not eligible to play on the NHL. The Bruin’s players and WAGs also spoke out against the signing. That takes some balls to speak out against your GM. 
Sweeney’s statement was such a textbook terse dismissal of the issue I am glad he is getting a lot of clap back. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I actually live in Boston and it’s not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. A lot of the racism stems from the redlining that happened a long time ago rather than the general attitudes of the people there. Most of the population went to colleges in the area that have largely left winged political views. 

29 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Tbh im sure most these guys in the nhl know this and hes about to find out watch how many times hes hit hard or challenged he will be bullied hard on the ice he might not even make it through a season 

Not only that but I could see him being booed every time he touches the puck in 31 other arenas for his entire career.