The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Sheldon Dries, place Tanner Pearson on IR

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Not that I care one way or another, but it seems like ALL of the vitriol on CDC is being heaped on Tanner Pearson. Unfair, I say. He's not the only one who has been ineffective this season, so it must be recency bias at work. Pearson made the most recent set of glaring errors (Demko excepted) so it's his turn in the frying pan. The Canucks have only two problems: 1) they haven't figured out how to move the puck out of their own zone, leading inevitably to turnovers and goals against, and 2) they haven't figured out how to make controlled entries into the other team's zone, leading inevitably to dumping, chasing and being caught deep when opposing defencemen clear their zones with apparent ease. And those problems, my friends, represent a failure of coaching. It would be helpful to bring in decent coaching, but it seems to me all of the good ones are currently employed elsewhere. I really like Bruce and he has excellent people skills, but Rutherford is entirely corrected in criticising the lack of structure. Most nights the coaches don't look like they have any kind of game plan that can kill penalties, run power plays, and as already mentioned, exit their own zone, and enter the offensive zone with control of the puck. If it were me, I'd back a dump truck up to Barry Trotz's front door and unload all the money if only he would agree to come in and impose "structure" on this collection of individuals so that they become a functioning unit. And yes, I am aware that there are those on CDC who hate Trotz, too, but they are generally of the contrary type who hate most things for no apparent reasons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not that I care one way or another, but it seems like ALL of the vitriol on CDC is being heaped on Tanner Pearson. Unfair, I say. He's not the only one who has been ineffective this season, so it must be recency bias at work. Pearson made the most recent set of glaring errors (Demko excepted) so it's his turn in the frying pan. The Canucks have only two problems: 1) they haven't figured out how to move the puck out of their own zone, leading inevitably to turnovers and goals against, and 2) they haven't figured out how to make controlled entries into the other team's zone, leading inevitably to dumping, chasing and being caught deep when opposing defencemen clear their zones with apparent ease. And those problems, my friends, represent a failure of coaching. It would be helpful to bring in decent coaching, but it seems to me all of the good ones are currently employed elsewhere. I really like Bruce and he has excellent people skills, but Rutherford is entirely corrected in criticising the lack of structure. Most nights the coaches don't look like they have any kind of game plan that can kill penalties, run power plays, and as already mentioned, exit their own zone, and enter the offensive zone with control of the puck. If it were me, I'd back a dump truck up to Barry Trotz's front door and unload all the money if only he would agree to come in and impose "structure" on this collection of individuals so that they become a functioning unit. And yes, I am aware that there are those on CDC who hate Trotz, too, but they are generally of the contrary type who hate most things for no apparent reasons.

No offense meant, but really hard to read without breaks...

I do agree however.... Pearson is the new whipping boy.
Took a bad pen but he was not the only one stinking upthe joint. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

No offense meant, but really hard to read without breaks...

I do agree however.... Pearson is the new whipping boy.
Took a bad pen but he was not the only one stinking upthe joint. 

None taken, and you are right, I could have been better at editing.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

As I recall, Trotz wants to be more than just a coach.  That's why he didn't take the Winnipeg job

4 hours ago, DeepV said:

I hope he plays. He has done pretty well I think, and it sends Miller to the wing on the Horvat line (hopefully). A line of Hoglander/Dries/Podkolzin could be something terrible, but it also could be a positive to have two struggling players trying to find a role and identity on the same line rather than being in the shadow of others

I way prefer Miller on the wing.  Sure, having Petey, Bo and Miller down the middle gives them more balance in theory but it just waters down the lines 5 v 5 and Miller in the middle is a liability

Miller and Horvat were good together.  Would like to see:

Miller Horvat Mikheyev

Kuzmenko Petey Boeser

Podz Dries Garland

Joshua Aman Hogs

• Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Damn, hope he's ok.

My Dad in his 80's had to wait 2+ years for a hip re-replacement and was walking around on a broken femur yet these guys get next day drive through surgery service. Helps to have team doctors I guess. 

some animals are more equal than others.

Universal medical care- bs.