The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yay to a 7-10-3 record. They played hard to be honest but we all know where this is headed, that yucky middle ground no one wants to be in. Aren't bad enough to lose, aren't great enough to win. 

I beg to differ

I think there are many fans and people  in management that are quite happy slogging away in pergitory

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I’m half Haida myself although I never had a native upbringing   I have experienced/witnessed it. I was left alone being 6’3. In my prime. I Also played which was my motivation as it is with most athletic indigenous or Afro American. 

I am a half Irish, half Ukrainian Rugby Front Rower, not any good at hockey… not even sure I am 5’10 but I try,.. 210 lbs playing weight… but 6’3, I think I hear your skates before I felt the impact of being checked into the boards… I got to knaw you legs off a bit to bring you down to eye level… 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Our lucky charm.

I wasn't initially thrilled with Dries getting ice ahead of prospects despite what he did last year in Abby, but I was wrong. He's not flashy, but he is rarely out of position, he's responsible defensively, decent on the dot, can poke the puck in when he gets a chance, and best of all, he's cheap! As he plays, he should get used to the speed of the game and only improve. He is the ideal 4th line center other than he's not a big thumper to wear down the other team's forwards. I like him better than any option we could dress.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's honestly a bit tragic that we're in virtually the exact same position we were last year. Most people feel like our team can be a very good team, but we're underperforming. Even if we do go on fire again, we've set ourselves so far back that we need to be one of the top 5 teams from here until the end of the season just to ensure that we make the playoffs. It's crazy how far back a rough start can set you.

Although it does seem like this season other teams in the Western conference are susceptible to having chronic losing streaks as well.  Edmonton and Calgary both are suspect in goal (sorry Marky).   And that is what we need, and then we don't have to play completely lights out to squeak into the playoffs.

I'm still in the go-for-it camp.  It really seems like all we need is for a couple of good things to happen to get over the hill.  Demko finds his game. Boeser finds his game. I'd like to see Rathbone played....I don't know why he's sitting. He can't be any worse than Myers defensively. And he's like having a second Hughes at least as far as carrying the puck up the ice and creating chances from the back end. He has great potential to improve if they would only give him more ice time.  And please...do not bench Burroughs again.  I'd rather give OEL a few more 'maintenance days' sprinkled throughout the season to keep him fresher, and play Burz and Bone

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hey we've been here a couple times before and things worked out for us.   2011 we didn't start well.   94.   Im not saying we are those teams, but it's not like we have to lose all hope either.  7-10 isn't super bad, especially given what was wrong last season isn't this season, for the most part.   Remember when we couldn't buy a point aside from Miller and Garland?   We didn't win 3/4 until Bruce took over either (and yes that can go to 3/5 quickly).    Last year EP, Brock AND Horvat, weren't doing much of anything.   Brock isn't doing much either this year but at least is making himself more of an asset folks might like.    Demko isn't a good back-up ... he's the main difference on the PK sorry Demko but that's the truth.   Martin is fine.   Francouz made some big saves last night too, and got some posts.   

Mayne im just too much of an optimist but Bruce seems to be turning this group closer into the team that warranted the chant.   And well for me at least, ive missed higher scoring games for a very long time.   Rather a 5-4 over a 2-1 game anyday, 

The unfortunate truth is that 7-10 in 2022 isn't the same as a 7-10 in the 80s or 90s. Wins are easier to come by, to the point where a .500 record is no longer average, but just plain bad.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The unfortunately truth is that 7-10 in 2022 isn't the same as a 7-10 in the 80s or 90s. Wins are easier to come by, to the point where a .500 record is no longer average, but just plain bad.

a .500 record is still average

however with he loser point and the NHL either not able to do math or simply rusing the fans

what passes for a .500 record is a joke

3-3-6 is not a .500 record, even if the NHL says it is.

I am surprised that no grade 4 math wizz has never taken the NHL to task on this

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Blackhawks prospect Adam Boqvist opens up about his dyslexia

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blackhawks-prospect-adam-boqvist-opens-dyslexia/

I feel this. Didn't get my diagnosis till my early 20s. It can be a huge challenge at times when you don't have the ability to read at a comfortable pace. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's honestly a bit tragic that we're in virtually the exact same position we were last year. Most people feel like our team can be a very good team, but we're underperforming. Even if we do go on fire again, we've set ourselves so far back that we need to be one of the top 5 teams from here until the end of the season just to ensure that we make the playoffs. It's crazy how far back a rough start can set you.

As much of a tragedy as it is, we’re only 5 points back of a playoff spot and thats with an absolutely atrocious start to the season and countless points squandered away….it could be a lot uglier. Look at the boat Edmonton is in, Buffalo after their hot start, Calgary is not off to a great start either. St. Louis went on, I think it was an 8 game losing streak? But is right back in the playoff race. Pitt was off to a hot start, lost a handful in a row and are back on a 4 game win streak. Theres time for things to get turned around and we arent too far out of the picture and we are scoring lots of goals and against some of the top teams in the league… we just need better execution in the dzone to close out games. One good week of hockey for us and 1 bad week for any of the teams ahead of us in a playoff spot and we’re in a playoff spot, its highly possible. We just need to remain consistent and quit blowing leads.

I think the bigger questions are, do you want playoffs or do you want to add a high end draft pick to this core? Make no mistake, if we are headed towards playoffs, there will infact be a trade to acquire a top 4 RHD and possibly a big name top 6, likely a rental with long term re-signing potential. That will cost us prospects and picks. Is that the route we as a fan base want to take? Or are we okay with missing playoffs this year and drafting really high and going into next year with expectations of greater things.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

As much of a tragedy as it is, we’re only 5 points back of a playoff spot and thats with an absolutely atrocious start to the season and countless points squandered away….it could be a lot uglier. Look at the boat Edmonton is in, Buffalo after their hot start, Calgary is not off to a great start either. St. Louis went on, I think it was an 8 game losing streak? But is right back in the playoff race. Pitt was off to a hot start, lost a handful in a row and are back on a 4 game win streak. Theres time for things to get turned around and we arent too far out of the picture and we are scoring lots of goals and against some of the top teams in the league… we just need better execution in the dzone to close out games. One good week of hockey for us and 1 bad week for any of the teams ahead of us in a playoff spot and we’re in a playoff spot, its highly possible. We just need to remain consistent and quit blowing leads.

I think the bigger questions are, do you want playoffs or do you want to add a high end draft pick to this core? Make no mistake, if we are headed towards playoffs, there will infact be a trade to acquire a top 4 RHD and possibly a big name top 6, likely a rental with long term re-signing potential. That will cost us prospects and picks. Is that the route we as a fan base want to take? Or are we okay with missing playoffs this year and drafting really high and going into next year with expectations of greater things.

playoffs or not, there's a big shake up coming because they can't keep Bo and Miller and then have enough $ to sign Petey to the mammoth contract he's going to get soon.  So regardless of standings, one of Bo or Miller is going to be moved........at least.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

playoffs or not, there's a big shake up coming because they can't keep Bo and Miller and then have enough $ to sign Petey to the mammoth contract he's going to get soon.  So regardless of standings, one of Bo or Miller is going to be moved........at least.

Whether or not this management group looks forward enough to know that Petey's contract is going to be up after next year remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I believe in the current team enough to think they should sign Bo Horvat now.  Management has really messed this up.  

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I feel this. Didn't get my diagnosis till my early 20s. It can be a huge challenge at times when you don't have the ability to read at a comfortable pace. 

I remember in 5th grade the teacher decided to have a surprise spelling test. My worst nightmare not knowing the words that were going to be used so I could study them. She walked around the room saying the words. Then when the test was done told us to pass the test back to the person behind us to mark. I got every word wrong plus my name. That is the thing with Dyslexia it gets worse when nervous, upset or tired. I was both upset and nervous about the test, so much so ,I spelt my name wrong by reversing two letters. Some times even when copy words Dyslexic people will still spell them wrong by reversing letters. It just how the Dyslexic mind works sometimes, especailly when in a rush. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Imagine trading the dude. Drafted and developed here, mentored by the Sedins, now blossoming into the kind of scorer that nobody saw coming back in his prospect days - the words most used to describe Bo were “dependable”….not “prolific”. Folks, almost to the quarter pole in the season and he LEADS THE NHL IN GOALS. Let that sink in. I personally think the more he scores the less likely he is to be traded. Let’s say he’s on a 50 goal pace right around “prime time” for a trade would be….what horrific PR to move him (some are saying Boston, WTF?) and watch him pot his 50th in another jersey. I don’t want to see this on my watch. Rutherford (Jimbo #2), do your job, adjust the roster and payroll where needed, and get our captain signed. This is what you are paid to do.

The only way I’d be ok to trade Bo is if Rutherford and company commit to a FULL REBUILD….a tear it down to the studs type of thing. A “retool” on the fly is not helped by trading Bo Horvat in my opinion. His presence helps you win for at least a 5 year window. I think folks think Bo is old….he’s 27….McJesus is 25. 

One more thing….if anyone hear suffers from insomnia, give the PDOcast show on SN650 a try. Miracle cure!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Disagree, they have to move some other money player out.  Myers 6 mil deal expires before a new deal needs to be given to Petey.  .    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Imagine trading the dude. Drafted and developed here, mentored by the Sedins, now blossoming into the kind of scorer that nobody saw coming back in his prospect days - the words most used to describe Bo were “dependable”….not “prolific”. Folks, almost to the quarter pole in the season and he LEADS THE NHL IN GOALS. Let that sink in. I personally think the more he scores the less likely he is to be traded. Let’s say he’s on a 50 goal pace right around “prime time” for a trade would be….what horrific PR to move him (some are saying Boston, WTF?) and watch him pot his 50th in another jersey. I don’t want to see this on my watch. Rutherford (Jimbo #2), do your job, adjust the roster and payroll where needed, and get our captain signed. This is what you are paid to do.

Exactly!  "Management do your job".  Imagine Bo in Boston, _____ ____ !

• There it is 1