The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

Luke Schenn was scheduled to return home, out of the lineup until dealt. As of Tuesday night, I’m not convinced the team is finalized, but I do think after a quiet few days, talks around him intensified to the point where there was a feeling it would happen. If Vancouver didn’t get at least a third, they weren’t going to do it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-trade-deadline-check-in-on-each-nhl-team/

• Vintage 3

17 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Again Brett Kulak in the exact same scenario but less physical, less reliable and producing less was traded last season for a 2nd, 7th, defense prospect.

Schenn is worth a 2nd at the least.

He is worth what the market dictates.  I do expect that many will be disappointed in his return, but we will see.

• Thanks 1

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Luke Schenn was scheduled to return home, out of the lineup until dealt. As of Tuesday night, I’m not convinced the team is finalized, but I do think after a quiet few days, talks around him intensified to the point where there was a feeling it would happen. If Vancouver didn’t get at least a third, they weren’t going to do it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-trade-deadline-check-in-on-each-nhl-team/

Sounds like price went up recently. Flames and Leafs priced out now.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

breezer just got back in the lineup, so he might be a little rusty.  That said, I'm sure they'll let Wolanin go to the wire and then move him back down.  I'd probably have Juulsen as the next call up, thought he's a rhd, so might not work, but he's been the best overall dman in Abby this year.

I had thought of him too but as you alluded to; he is a RHD. Still could be made to work though.

50 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I wonder if they bring up Brisebois and send Wolanin down just before Wolanin requires waivers? I just don't see Rathbone or Kalynuk as better options than Brisebois.

To be eligible to play past the TDL the player has to be on the team's reserve list at the TDL*.  A player traded after the TDL is no longer eligible to play whether in the regular season or the playoffs because he's wasn't on the reserve list of his new team at the TDL.  Would think it also applies to players picked off waivers because they too are changing reserve list.

* The reserve list is all players whose rights belong to the team - whether they are under contract on the main team, in the AHL, juniors or have yet to sign a contract.  

There's an exception for free agent signings where a team can sign them past the TDL and they can still play in the regular season but not in the post-season.

Wolanin an upcoming UFA so not much reason to pick him up if they waive him after the TDL.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

Luke can definitely help push a good contending team over the top to win a cup. Sometimes just one big hit or big defensive play or just a bit of swagger can make all the difference in a series. He's worth a 2nd rounder, and I think that's what they'll get for him. 

Wonder if we could get a decent prospect for Big Luke.

He will help any team in the playoffs for sure; he's a warrior and a total class act.

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

He will help any team in the playoffs for sure; he's a warrior and a total class act.

Desperate teams looking at missing playoffs or an early ouster will do desperate things. One of the big ++ for Schenn is his point production this year. He could easily hit his career high. Pretty heavy shot. That set up to Kuz the other night should be worth a 2nd rdr by itself. Canuck video geeks should be sending clips out to all those teams that have phoned to date. :) Some of these teams might not have a 2nd rdr but that can be fixed with a prospect or a 3 way trade. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Cal Foote for Schenn? This would be great, his dad (Adam) coaching.

They're saying that the asking price is a 2nd/3rd, but the rumoured teams don't seem to have much for picks. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

T-bay (Cal Foote) is probably our best bet for Schenn. Seems like Perbix has overtaken Foote on their depth charts, and I'm not sure they'd want to have to rely on a rookie in the post season vs. a cup winning vet in Schenn. 

• Cheers 1

Please be Tampa!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/417192/roman-schmidt

He’s all slow movements until an opponent gets in his range along the boards. Then, he strikes. His closeouts are forceful. He plasters attackers to the glass, pins them with his free hand, and knocks the puck away with his stick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/477357/jack-finley

Finley’s projectable 6’5, 207-pound frame clearly stands out in a draft class that lacks sizable players. Finley just smothers the opposing centre. He plays with a high motor, recognizes support opportunities, has the timing and awareness to deter shots and intercept passes, and is decisive without over-committing. -

or Cal Foote?

Schenn/%50 retained cus Tampa has under 800k cap space for Finley & Schmidt or Cal Foote ?

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

He is worth what the market dictates.  I do expect that many will be disappointed in his return, but we will see.

Honestly Nate, I am not trading Schenn if it is for just a late 3rd. I think there is more to benefit keeping him at that point. Good will gets seeen around the league, and as players age and become less valuable on the UFA market, players  see that a aging players gets treated with respect......that goes along way

But, if it is for a 2nd, then players will understand the value of that, and not place any blame on the Canuck management. Even sending Luke home early has it's merits, because these guys talk, and so do the agents,........I think the Canucks have handled this excellently.....and its a win win for them regardless of what happens in the trade front.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Friedman on 32 Thoughts, says multiple teams still bidding with return likely better than a mid 3rd round pick also mentioned Colorado now that EJ is out 

Mid to late 2nd would be great then. I’m all for that.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Honestly Nate, I am not trading Schenn if it is for just a late 3rd. I think there is more to benefit keeping him at that point. Good will gets seeen around the league, and as players age and become less valuable on the UFA market, players  see that a aging players gets treated with respect......that goes along way

But, if it is for a 2nd, then players will understand the value of that, and not place any blame on the Canuck management. Even sending Luke home early has it's merits, because these guys talk, and so do the agents,........I think the Canucks have handled this excellently.....and its a win win for them regardless of what happens in the trade front.

Agree 100%.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Please be Tampa!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/417192/roman-schmidt

He’s all slow movements until an opponent gets in his range along the boards. Then, he strikes. His closeouts are forceful. He plasters attackers to the glass, pins them with his free hand, and knocks the puck away with his stick.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/477357/jack-finley

Finley’s projectable 6’5, 207-pound frame clearly stands out in a draft class that lacks sizable players. Finley just smothers the opposing centre. He plays with a high motor, recognizes support opportunities, has the timing and awareness to deter shots and intercept passes, and is decisive without over-committing. -

or Cal Foote?

Schenn/%50 retained cus Tampa has under 800k cap space for Finley & Schmidt or Cal Foote ?

Both your options look very interesting. Love Finley's size. My problem with Foote is the very fact that his father is in Vancouver. The media and fans would feast on that. Don't know enough about him to understand why he has not progressed? 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Both your options look very interesting. Love Finley's size. My problem with Foote is the very fact that his father is in Vancouver. The media and fans would feast on that. Don't know enough about him to understand why he has not progressed? 

thanks, the 2 prospects are former 2nd and 3rd rounders. both 6"5, righty, one a d man and one a C, both appear to be unpleasant to play against.

Stacked Tampa and lack of playing time for Foote?

I only see tampa play vs the canucks and have no clue as to his issues if any or if he is what he is.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I think they are also keeping him from being injured. 

The other thing is having him spend time with his pregnant wife can go well as a good gesture when he becomes a FA and the Canucks bring him back.

Yes, and also being out of the lineup helps the tank. So the Canucks make themselves look really good here from a PR perspective plus they are secretly helping with the stealth tank. Win win for both sides. 

• Cheers 1