The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

BC born NCAA  D man will be a free agent to sign with an NHL Club in a couple of months.

I hope the Canucks are all over this.

ps. I’m sure this will slide through the charts a bit, but wanted to make other posters aware of another exciting time upcoming on the horizon that involves a very good local player from our province.

650 spoke about him a lot last summer, he's on the Canucks radar... and every teams radar, yes, all 32 teams know him well given he plays right side D

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1

We spoke about this last season numerous times and it was and is one of the most gd head scratching things that former and current Canucks management has ignored.

Here you have a local, big bodied hard skating RHD that may not put up huge points at the college level but is a free, count it FREE asset in the position most ignored by this club going back to 2004.  

Yet he is and has not even been spoken of outside of CDC and a few other Canucks related forums.  In fact this might be the ONE time, the ONE time I have seen any publication mention his name at all.

This is such a no brainer it is a wonder that the Oilers haven't signed him only for Canucks management release numerous stories about how they were in on him but ran out of time and had/have other ideas on the go.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing some discussion about him, but it wasn't pursued further because he intended on returning to the NCAA for another year.

Livingstone would be a great prospect to add, not just because he's a RHD, but because he will likely be better positioned to help the team more quickly given his age and college development time.  He would improve the Canucks prospect defensive depth quickly.

I don't think there's much more to say other than the Canucks should be in on him. No team can promise him more money for his first contract so this will have to come down to wherever he believes he has the best opportunity. We'll see what happens.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gonna be another Justin Schultz situation?

Lemme guess they’re gonna get Gretzky and McDavid to call him up and tell him how great Edmonton is…

Wonder when the last time Wayne went to Edmonton was when it wasn’t to honour him or get payed. 

12 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Management: 

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

Hope this helps. 

Maybe the wizard granted our current management figureheads brains, guess time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Thankfully we won't have to develop this guy, he's 23. So they did all the work for us. We just gotta not be stupid and sign him. Dude spent 3 seasons and some change in Langley in the BCHL before NCAA. The only way I see us failing to sign him is if we don't even try. Our RHD depth is non existent. He's almost guaranteed a spot next to Hughes, one of the most dynamic scoring D in the league. If we don't land this kid I am actually done with this management team. I was gonna say done with this team, but I bleed blue and green. I can't lie. But I will definitely not be happy. Lol.

We're Canucks fans, if there's a chance our organization could flub a perfectly lined up opportunity we've gotta assume there's a good chance we do. 

And, I mean, I know that's smarmy of me to say but we've seen it time and time again. Hopefully they don't flub this one, because as you said, our RD prospect depth is incredibly shallow. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Excellent d pick up but he's likely seeking big bucks with a more winning lineup.

There’s a maximum he can make.

It won’t come down to dollars it will come down to opportunity.

I would say selling him on playing with Hughes is a pretty big selling point for us. A top 10 ranked powerplay goes a long ways too.

The uncertainty with the coaching staff might hurt us though. As well as the overall direction of the team.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

At the best he might be able to play a solid 15-17 minutes on a bottom pairing. Maybe in a year or two, a top-4 guy. Numbers in the NCAA look solid and he's physically NHL-ready but the speed might take him a bit of time to get used to. Still, he'd probably be our 2nd best RD...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

At the best he might be able to play a solid 15-17 minutes on a bottom pairing. Maybe in a year or two, a top-4 guy. Numbers in the NCAA look solid and he's physically NHL-ready but the speed might take him a bit of time to get used to. Still, he'd probably be our 2nd best RD...

Schenn and Bear are NHLers. Livingston hasn’t proven anything yet.

That being said Schenn and Bear could both be gone at the end of the season so there’s a real opening for any RHD.

• Like 1

As mentioned it’s pretty obvious we should be in on him.  I’d almost just throw him into the fire and pair him with Hughes on day 1 (Even strength only). He’s the same age and not some young prospect.  All he’s done is play in all situations his whole career.  NHL is different but he can likely adjust quickly at 23.

If we trade Schenn and then sign him again he can mentor Rathbone next year:

OEL Bear

Hughes Livingstone

Rathbone Schenn

Dermott

Better overall balance.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1