The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They tried to get Meier and then Lindholm.  When they couldn't get the players they wanted they stayed put rather than bring in someone just to bring in someone.  They were linked to Schmaltz for a while per Friedman - maybe they revisit that in the off-season.  They have some cap space to play with and can start negotiations with their UFAs - should give them a better idea of their cap situation in a year.  

Like I said, they weren't prepared to ante up. Maybe that'll change. They couldn't get deals done, so presumably they weren't willing to pay what it took. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • There it is 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Like I said, they weren't prepared to ante up. Maybe that'll change. They couldn't get deals done, so presumably they weren't willing to pay what it took. 

Yeah, they could try to load up this off-season.

Disappointing way to end a promising play-off run.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree that eventually in the timeframe and timeline of a franchise, you eventually have to swing. if you miss, you miss. But what if you hit

It's going to be Vegas and Florida for the Cup. Who would have thought. 

Gross. I'm really not interested in watching these teams. But if I had to, I'd be cheering for f**king Florida. Vegas has been in the league, six years, and can you imagine if they won? And there are franchises in the league that have been around for 50 years (like us) and we still haven't won. The f**k. 

And don't get me going on how the NHL made Seattle and Vegas these upstart franchises, while the NBA handcuffed and made it extremely difficult for both the Grizz and Raps in the early 90's to thrive. Raptors survived because of corporate support and they made some shrewd moves, Grizz - well, we all know the story there. If the NBA at that time did what the NHL has done for their two newest franchises, I'm convinced Van still has NBA entertainment in this city. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that eventually in the timeframe and timeline of a franchise, you eventually have to swing. if you miss, you miss. But what if you hit

It's going to be Vegas and Florida for the Cup. Who would have thought. 

Gross. I'm really not interested in watching these teams. But if I had to, I'd be cheering for f**king Florida. Vegas has been in the league, six years, and can you imagine if they won? And there are franchises in the league that have been around for 50 years (like us) and we still haven't won. The f**k. 

And don't get me going on how the NHL made Seattle and Vegas these upstart franchises, while the NBA handcuffed and made it extremely difficult for both the Grizz and Raps in the early 90's to thrive. Raptors survived because of corporate support and they made some shrewd moves, Grizz - well, we all know the story there. If the NBA at that time did what the NHL has done for their two newest franchises, I'm convinced Van still has NBA entertainment in this city. 

Vegas went all in to acquire Pietrangelo, they ante'd up for Stone. And Eichel. Most of Florida's team is made up of trade acquisition's or free agents, they're an anomaly that way. Florida signed Verhaeghe, traded for Tkachuk, traded for Bennett, traded for Reinhart, signed Duclair, traded for Montour. No, these weren't deadline moves but both of these teams have made splashes as opposed to standing pat. 

Colorado added last season, Tampa hasn't been shy about adding. Sometimes you make a splash and miss, absolutely, but it's not surprising that teams that have made acquisitions are in the final either. If Boston hadn't choked they'd likely be in the final instead of Florida, they added a lot, but sometimes hockey happens. 

I'll be rooting for Florida, at least they've suffered long enough. 

• Cheers 1

I think I’d still pull the trigger on the right Miller deal but it seems less likely than before the Bo trade. 

Maybe make that trade AND the trade - down with Chicago.  End up with a few later 1sts and an early 2nd plus a sack of cap space.  

Try to take advantage of another team’s cap crunch to land Cirelli or Carlo. Or just bank the prospects and try to hit a deal or two in FA before the cap goes up.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly my point, these trades would be great if we were going for a bit more of a prolonged retool and wanted to hit our prime in say 2-3 years, but Allvin wants to make the playoffs next year so any one of these trades are a step back next year. Obviously in say 3 years time, Chytil + a first (say for example Simashev or Willander) will be better than a 33-34 year old Miller, but clearly he wants to win when Petey is under 25, not in his late 20s.

For that reason I don't see Miller getting moved, there's not many 1-for-1 deals around the league which would work either.

Hypothetically, would you entertain a Miller for Marner one-for-one? I don't love Marner's cap hit (means Petey's next contract would likely be over 11M) but he's 4 years younger than Miller, thus extending our competition window, and could be absolute dynamite with Petey.

For Toronto, they clear 3M in cap space and add some more grit to their top 6 while they're in win now mode. Obviously we'd have to clear a Boeser/Garland/Beauvillier contract first. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

1 goal games and a hot goalie + missing Svechnikov/Pacioretty.   Brind'Amour even states that it wasn't a real sweep and the score could have been the other way around.   

Carolina is missing a game breaker and it looks like they know it.  They were 1 of the teams in the running for Tkachuk.

They seem more against short term thinking and settling than adding.  If they manage to build that infinite window then they can wait to find that rare player or maybe they even manage to draft him as they haven't wasted their assets unlike several other teams going all in and then failing.  

*Checks score cards* Four straight losses, no wins... If it walks like a sweep and quacks like a sweep...

• There it is 3

Canes are doing a great job being cutesy with the cap but you’d have to think they’re going to need to make a splash one way or another.  As the cap goes up they likely lose opportunities to land Burns and Pacioretty types for peanuts.

Meanwhile, they’re in the “mushy middle” not getting anywhere near the top of the draft.  Their cap situation is great - time to make a move whether it’s for Miller or not.  

They could honestly add Miller without giving up Kotkaniemi cap-wise. (Not sure we’d want to do that.) Would be a very dynamic C group. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

Miller, Rathbone (or woo)

JK, 1st, Morrow

I think this is a trade that could be great for both teams. 

Carolina really needs to add something significant around scoring. Miller is a great addition for them, will play in a no nonsense system and thrive. Canucks gets a 1st round pick, a young center who had their first really solid season and a RD prospect. 

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Canes are doing a great job being cutesy with the cap but you’d have to think they’re going to need to make a splash one way or another.  As the cap goes up they likely lose opportunities to land Burns and Pacioretty types for peanuts.

Meanwhile, they’re in the “mushy middle” not getting anywhere near the top of the draft.  Their cap situation is great - time to make a move whether it’s for Miller or not.  

They could honestly add Miller without giving up Kotkaniemi cap-wise. (Not sure we’d want to do that.) Would be a very dynamic C group. 

I think Carolina’s need to do something is a bit overblown.  They were missing Svechnikov and Pacioretty for the entire run. They lost 4 very close games.  One of those guys could have been the difference.  I doubt their GM is panicking 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I think Carolina’s need to do something is a bit overblown.  They were missing Svechnikov and Pacioretty for the entire run. They lost 4 very close games.  One of those guys could have been the difference.  I doubt their GM is panicking

I agree they don't need to panic. The team is great and mostly fairly young still. They are in their competition window, but they will have more cracks at it still. 

However...they still got swept no matter how you want to swing it. They do need to add more scoring, Carolina themselves it sounds like tried to add scoring multiple times over the last year. 

Miller is signed and provides offensive. I think a deal could be worked out here. Depends on how high they are on KK and maybe someone like Morrow. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, mll said:

Davidson, Kekaleinen's boss, says their objective this season was to develop their youth and be in the hunt late in the season - making the playoffs wasn't an objective.  He even says they knew they weren't a playoff team.  They didn't expect to be that bad but injuries.

They hired a developmental coach - Larssen got the job without them interviewing anyone else because they saw him as good with their young players.  Davidson also extended Kekaleinen ahead of time and explained that he didn't want him to have any pressure re standings as they go into a reset.   Trading Jones had them change direction.  They initially only wanted to do a reload if they could extend him but him wanting out forced them into looking at a deeper reset. 

Davidson says they are picking a C for sure at 3rd overall and talks of having the patience to develop that player because in a few years he's

going to change their franchise.  That seems like another indication of their patience to built a contender. 

Werenski is their only top-4 D.  Bean, Peeke and Boqvist are available as well as Roslovic and Laine is not considered a core player per Portzline.  He has their untouchables as Werenski, Jenner, Gaudreau, Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko + top prospects like Jiricek.  

It does look like they want to start gaining playoff experience (CBJ was never tanking) - they are looking to hire an experienced coach and have been linked to Laviolette. 

They do want to add more veteran players but Kekaleinen has already excluded last year moving high end futures for 30 years olds.  The 22nd overall is available per Friedman where they were hoping to use it to get Chychrun - ie a young player that can fit their core and be there long term.  Kekaleinen also talks of taking advantage of cap strapped teams - guessing he's thinking of a reverse Bjorkstrand type deal where they get a solid stop gap veteran on the cheap.  

Who do you see taking that next step first.

Vancouver or Columbus?

5 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I agree they don't need to panic. The team is great and mostly fairly young still. They are in their competition window, but they will have more cracks at it still. 

However...they still got swept no matter how you want to swing it. They do need to add more scoring, Carolina themselves it sounds like tried to add scoring multiple times over the last year. 

Miller is signed and provides offensive. I think a deal could be worked out here. Depends on how high they are on KK and maybe someone like Morrow. 

It’s the contract that Miller signed that’s the problem. Carolina tends to shy away from older players with long term. Millers contract will be an albatross at some point.  They may need to add but I think they look elsewhere.  And I think KK is poised to have a big year. I doubt they’re looking to move him 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Pacioretty is 34 and unsigned.  Burns is a year older. Staal. Stastny. Andersen.

They do have some nice young guys / prospects and Svetch is quality but I also doubt their GM is dusting off a place on the trophy shelf for the Stanley Cup.  

If their goal is to be a very good hockey team next year he’s set but the east is a beast and if they want to compete he’s going to need to make a move or two.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Pacioretty is 34 and unsigned.  Burns is a year older. Staal. Stastny. Andersen.

They do have some nice young guys / prospects and Svetch is quality but I also doubt their GM is dusting off a place on the trophy shelf for the Stanley Cup.  

If their goal is to be a very good hockey team next year he’s set but the east is a beast and if they want to compete he’s going to need to make a move or two.

Sure. But is moving important assets for a 30 year old winger with a bad contract and a NMC the way to go? I doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sure. But is moving important assets for a 30 year old winger with a bad contract and a NMC the way to go? I doubt it. 

That’s why I said, “whether it’s for Miller or not” - because they seem content to slow play everything.  In a competitive league you need to take some risks to make that last push, though.

The time for that deal was a year ago to maximize Miller’s prime or even take a run for Horvat if they wanted to deal with us.

Who knows though. Maybe they’d be interested in Garland.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Hypothetically, would you entertain a Miller for Marner one-for-one? I don't love Marner's cap hit (means Petey's next contract would likely be over 11M) but he's 4 years younger than Miller, thus extending our competition window, and could be absolute dynamite with Petey.

For Toronto, they clear 3M in cap space and add some more grit to their top 6 while they're in win now mode. Obviously we'd have to clear a Boeser/Garland/Beauvillier contract first. 

Yep take Marner and run, I doubt Toronto would do that though.

More comparable guys would be other PPG scorers like Jeff Skinner, Nylander, Tavares, Larkin, Forsberg etc.

Honestly I'd rather keep Miller than get one of those guys, he does a lot more than just score (maybe I'd entertain Larkin...).

1-for-1 defenceman, now that'd have me interested. Top line two-way big, strong center would surely get a top pairing defenceman in return. Miller for Hampus Lindholm?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

As we saw with the Horvat, and then Hronek trades, you don't need to get the pieces you want back in the first trade. You get pieces you can flip, for the pieces you want (precisely why the rumoured PIT trade, mostly for picks, didn't scare me)

And if we'd moved Miller earlier this season/last season, we likely would be drafting low enough for his eventual 2C replacement as well.

Yeah I would have been all over that deal too, realistically we had a lot of options with Bo and Miller. I'm sure Allvin was hunting a young RD for a while and Hronek was his targeted guy, maybe even before piecing the Bo deal together, so he got all the pieces he needed to make it work and got a young center out of it too. There are so many different combinations of those deals he could have done.

Hate to bring it back but I wanted us to go after NYR so badly last year with Miller and then re-sign Bo, but if we found a way to deal both we would have had a real haul. Realistically, we were talking Chytil + 1st + Lundqvist (no Schneider sadly everyone) + 1st + Raty + Beauvillier. Lundqvist was flipped for a first so that's basically three firsts, Chytil and Raty and Beauvillier. Hell of a haul. You take those picks, add them to some of our guys/prospects and you can basically create whichever player you want.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

*Checks score cards* Four straight losses, no wins... If it walks like a sweep and quacks like a sweep...

Ha, didn't bother to view Brindy's w/c/shoulda' presser..but he deserves the Monty Python, is it a witch(?) test. Some brave media schlub coulda' held out a broom, saying, "Hey buddy, park yer vehicle elsewhere!"

Had commented here back in Feb/Mar(?..around TDL) that every spring, their offense goes Sahara-dry. FLA ground them down(close games, notwithstanding). Canes deserved SFA.

FLO & Vegans are proof somewheres along the line, your team-build requires some risk. Pietro, Eichel, Bob & Tkachunk are prime examples. Drafting well is great Canes, but sooner or later a team must stick it's neck out with some associated risk...

• Vintage 2