The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

12 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

That pass on the PP is a set play. That is systems at fault. They try it all the time, its not JT being lazy, its a set play that is absolute wet dogsh*t and easy to read. 

Heres what makes that play so f***ing frustratingly predictable.

JT is on his strong side, not his offside for one-timers. So when he gets a pass, he has to curl EVERY SINGLE TIME. From that curl his options are to shoot, pass down low or back pass. By the time he curls, he loses a lot of time and space, it takes away his opportunity to shoot, so now he’s forced to pass down low or back pass. All they have to do is get a stick in the lane to take away the pass down low and his last option is to back pass. Everyone knows they want to move the puck back to Hughes to send it over for the one timer, JTs primary options are shoot or backpass to set up the onetimer like every team in the league does. So instead of going down low they know its going to go up high and they just get their stick out and intercept it. You know as much as I do, skating forward and doing a back pass, its a weak pass because you’re skating forward and trying to send the puck the opposite way. It takes the power/speed out of the pass and guys just step into that and head up ice on a breakaway while Hughes is flat footed.

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

This is true

12 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

That pass on the PP is a set play. That is systems at fault. They try it all the time, its not JT being lazy, its a set play that is absolute wet dogsh*t and easy to read. 

JT is on his strong side, not his offside for one-timers. So when he gets a pass, he has to curl EVERY SINGLE TIME. From that curl his options are to shoot, pass down low or back pass. By the time he curls, he loses a lot of time and space, it takes away his opportunity to shoot, so now he’s forced to pass down low or back pass. All they have to do is get a stick in the lane to take away the pass down low and his last option is to back pass. Everyone knows they want to move the puck back to Hughes to send it over for the one timer, JTs primary options are shoot or backpass to set up the onetimer like every team in the league does. So instead of going down low they know its going to go up high and they just get their stick out and intercept it. You know as much as I do, skating forward and doing a back pass, its a weak pass because you’re skating forward and trying to send the puck the opposite way. It takes the power/speed out of the pass and guys just step into that and head up ice on a breakaway while Hughes is flat footed.

I think Bruce should put Miller net front, and Kuzmenko on the left half wall. One-timers from both sides, with a better passer than Miller on the left. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I think Bruce should put Miller net front, and Kuzmenko on the left half wall. One-timers from both sides, with a better passer than Miller on the left. 

Yea I dont understand why we do not try to utilize 2 1 timers. We’d get the PKers over extending at some point to get the 1 timer through

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Not a bad idea, but Kuzy has also been effective with net-front presence as he has a strong stick on the ice and seems to be very hard to move. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Not a bad idea, but Kuzy has also been effective with net-front presence as he has a strong stick on the ice and seems to be very hard to move. 

Kuzmenko has been great at net front, but I just think his shot is being underutilized in that position. Not to mention he's also an excellent passer, and can create space with his puck handling ability, which is something he can't really do in tight to the blue paint. We're just not getting the most out of his abilities where he's positioned.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

It's not the play that's the problem, it's millers lazy, sloppy execution of it.......or lack thereof.  There's not really much point trying to defend it, we've all see him do it over and over again.

552A3A0F-D24B-4677-9AA6-FBFF8CDDD427.jpeg.d0ed6d4236997cbd1f69a6c4060fd9a5.jpeg

so funny this team had every chance to move him last year and get a return.  yet once again short sighted and blinded by the slim chance of “ playoff revenue” the team is once again anchored to a player. 
Now it seems We’d be lucky to get rid of this contract. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hi Giveaways are due to him trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game. 

He's been better than a point per game guy since he got here and he's pretty close to that this year again. Move him to wing and he'll get back to eclipsing the point per game.

I don't think he works as well at center as many others seem to...

i dont care about his giveaways.. i care more about the idgaf attitude after he gives the puck away... he doesn't even hide it or even pretend to try after the giveaways.

we already moved him to the one back in december.. he have a whopping 6 points the entire month.. they signed miller and expected him to be a center.. if he couldn't play center i don't think the canucks would have paid him 8mil.. nor leave bo un-signed last summer.. 

• Cheers 1

Why would anyone give assets to commit another 7 years of Miller?  Servalli is right… Canucks would likely have to add to move this mistake and it’s just not going to happen. They will move/add/buyout Boeser/Garland/Myers before considering this option imo. The PR is just too awful to pay to move a ppg player they just extended.

11 minutes ago, combover said:

so funny this team had every chance to move him last year and get a return.  yet once again short sighted and blinded by the slim chance of “ playoff revenue” the team is once again anchored to a player. 

This is the same Seravelli that has linked Horvat to no less than 9 teams as a for sure thing since December.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

This is well described. Id also add - theres very little movement on the powerplay which also makes us worse against teams that pressure the puck carrier. Hence our incredibly inconsistent powerplay that goes on heaters and major cold streaks. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:38 PM, aGENT said:

Yeah, I've been eye rolling the whole "immovable with his extension" narrative. There's zero chance most "win now" teams wouldn't be extremely interested in a +/- 1PPG PWF winger who can win draws/chip in at C, and is on an expiring BARGAIN deal, with a below market extension in place.

Are we likely going to need to take back some cap? Yup. Are we likely going to get what we could have last TDL....maybe, maybe not. But he's FAR from immovable. 

The real question is, does this management group have the cajones/ability to swallow their pride to admit the error and course correct extending him?

Then, can they follow that up by getting Horvat extended (or if not, hitting an absolute homerun on a return)?

If they have seen enough to know this team is needing to rebuild as in maybe only keeping Petey and Hughes then you move on from Miller, Horvat and the other 26yrs old and older guys.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Kuzmenko has been great at net front, but I just think his shot is being underutilized in that position. Not to mention he's also an excellent passer, and can create space with his puck handling ability, which is something he can't really do in tight to the blue paint. We're just not getting the most out of his abilities where he's positioned.

I would definitely like to see JT in Petey's spot on PP2 which might also help BB6.  Put Kuzy on the half-wall and either Joshua or Studnicka in front of the net on PP1 since both play a gritty game and have some size. At this point I would not even mind trying Mysie in front of the net, but something tells me he would break in half lol. I agree that JT playing on his off-side is predictable and takes away time/space he would normally have on the other wing.   

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the same Seravelli that has linked Horvat to no less than 9 teams as a for sure thing since December.

Yup he’s the same one that had us making moves with Cbj two months ago. But apparently  he’s credible. 

i don’t think he’s entirely wrong on this  though 

miller value is low the rumoured dressing room issues the on ice display the reduced production and the fact he’s basically a winger now nones of which sells a 8 mill contract till a player 37. Or more likely bought out. 
Flip side it Might be why teams are interested they know they he can be had for very little. 
horvat  going to cost a lot miller would  be cheap if they have the cap. 

Media loving this team Nucks have made their jobs so easy.

24 minutes ago, combover said:

I get that Miller should've been traded last year,

but he's still a PPG player or close, how does he have no value.  If Miller had not re-signed with us and was going to be UFA this summer with the same numbers he had, he'd still get his 7x8M$ this summer.  Someone would've offer that this summer, ergo, IMO he still have trade value. 

The only problem with the fact he's signed is it remove potential suitor at the deadline, because contenders don't want the term associated with him.  But I'm sure a middle of the pack team that wants to make a big move and has some cap flexibility in the future or lots of pending UFAs would take a chance on Miller to make a deep playoff run.

IMO Seravalli is poor man version of Dreger, and I don't hold Dreger to a very high standard.  Today's insiders are more interested in click bait than actually being right.  I miss Bobby Mac.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

I get that Miller should've been traded last year,

but he's still a PPG player or close, how does he have no value.  If Miller had not re-signed with us and was going to be UFA this summer with the same numbers he had, he'd still get his 7x8M$ this summer.  Someone would've offer that this summer, ergo, IMO he still have trade value. 

The only problem with the fact he's signed is it remove potential suitor at the deadline, because contenders don't want the term associated with him.  But I'm sure a middle of the pack team that wants to make a big move and has some cap flexibility in the future or lots of pending UFAs would take a chance on Miller to make a deep playoff run.

IMO Seravalli is poor man version of Dreger, and I don't hold Dreger to a very high standard.  Today's insiders are more interested in click bait than actually being right.  I miss Bobby Mac.

They all suck now. Friedman FS None are truly creditable anymore the just say “ I’m hearing”. Or post there personal views (like this quote) 

It’s just up for discussion it’s nothing people on here haven gone back and forth on already. 

everythings click bait when it come to the Canucks lol 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Why would anyone give assets to commit another 7 years of Miller?  Servalli is right… Canucks would likely have to add to move this mistake and it’s just not going to happen. They will move/add/buyout Boeser/Garland/Myers before considering this option imo. The PR is just too awful to pay to move a ppg player they just extended.

It's a decently reasonable contract for a player of miller's calibre, especially for a contending team.......it's just not a good contract for vancouver

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not the play that's the problem, it's millers lazy, sloppy execution of it.......or lack thereof.  There's not really much point trying to defend it, we've all see him do it over and over again.

It's not just one factor that sees us giving up possession on the powerplay though. It's a combination of being predictable, compounded by poor execution.

35 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

If they have seen enough to know this team is needing to rebuild as in maybe only keeping Petey and Hughes then you move on from Miller, Horvat and the other 26yrs old and older guys.

I'm concerned they still think keeping him is the right plan... IMO it wasn't/isn't.

We really just need some bloody clarity as to what they're planning on doing. So far it's been largely tinkering around the edges, which also IMO, isn't going to cut it.

The entire fanbase (and it looks like roster) seems to be waiting for SOMETHING to happen. Some sort of direction.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, combover said:

Because Seravelli thinks so? Frank plays darts with his predictions just like every Friedman, Eklund and the like. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1