The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

15 hours ago, Neutral said:

It would be admitting a wrong by the GM, but if you can do it and trade JT before his new deal and trade protection kicks in that would be a smart move by the GM to realize the mistake and move on right away if possible of course

Thats what I liked about Benning. He wasn't afraid to fix his mistakes and ship someone out as soon as he realized it wasn't gonna work

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Perhaps it had something to do with being mic'd up. Players tend to get a little more performative when they know they're being recorded. 

could also be that 'Millsy' needs constant positive feedback or he goes pout mode.

Could be coincidence or the sound editor has a bias, or even us listening are hearing things that  confirm to our perception, whether that thing was there or not.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Neutral said:

add in Hayes who Torts doesn't like and we can send them Garland or Myers?

Hayes could be our #2C behind EP allowing us to cash in on a mega haul return for Horvat in a perfect world!

OR…..in a perfect world, seeing how Hayes is on the outs with Torts…..

Miller+Garland+2023 2nd+Pearson for Konecny+Hayes.

Bo re-signs to play on the same team as his cousin and we are deep AF down the middle for 3-4 years.

Petey 1C

Horvat 2C

Hayes 3C

Myers 50% retained to anywhere at the TDL for picks.

Poolmans LTIR to VGK or TBL because they love their LTIR….for anything

Boeser+2024 1st top 5 protected+Rathbone for Chychrun

Dpetey and Jurmo take huge steps forward and fix our issue on the back end

The cap space works. Horvat and Kuzmenko re-signed and Dpetey and Jurmo on ELCs

Vancouver wins the Stanley Cup in 2025 

Colorado won just be being extremely deep down the middle and driving up their possession numbers for guys like Mackinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog/Makar to make sh*t happen.

So lets make sh*t happen for Petey, Kuz, Horvat, Konecny, Hughes etc

17 minutes ago, combover said:

31E71579-C715-4B42-8EF7-AF059940CB53.jpeg.032fe9e99cfd6b731bbb604e46fd823b.jpeg

It’s been two months they haven’t turned it around in fact they gotten shittier.
Problem with making threats you have to follow through or look foolish. right now JR/PA look foolish. 

The problem is there’s no trades to be made.

They’ve been in the game long enough to know how it works. Teams wait till right up to the deadline to maximize cap dollars, make sure they’re comfortably in a playoff position, and also make sure they have the clearest picture of their needs.

How JR is getting frustrated by the lack of trades doesn’t make sense. This is literally the way it goes every year. All they’re doing is making themselves look desperate.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats what I liked about Benning. He wasn't afraid to fix his mistakes and ship someone out as soon as he realized it wasn't gonna work

Examples, please?

(Unless this was sarcasm and I just didn’t pick up on it?)

I’m having a hard time thinking of any instances where Benning “fixed” any of his own major contractual mistakes by moving players he’d signed within a year of negotiating their deals. Never mind trading someone (like Miller) before their new extension even kicked in.

He did make the Gudbranson move for Pearson, which was a good trade, but that was after three years of “negative value” on the ice from Guddy and two separate extensions handed out by JB. Loui Eriksson was here for 5 years of horrible value (on the books) and utter disappointment (on the ice) and then moved in a deal that actually made our cap situation worse (by taking on the OEL contract). And all this when he could’ve waited just one year for Eriksson (and Beagle and Roussel) to mercifully come off the books and open up some much needed cap space.

JB also let a number of significant players leave in free agency. Not sure those roster decisions were fixing mistakes, or if letting some of those guys walk were critical mistakes in themselves? Certainly there’s a handful of recently departed players who were very important leaders in the room and arguably we’re still feeling the effects of their absence. And in a few cases (like Tanev), we’re still looking for their replacements on the ice and dealing with a critical weakness at their position (RHD/defensive D).

I guess maybe Nate Schmidt would be an example of “fixing a mistake?” And credit to JB for realizing the fit wasn’t right with Schmidtty and flipping him after just one season in Vancouver. Of course, JB didn’t actually sign that player himself, so I’m not sure it really compares to any hypothetical trade of a newly signed or extended player (like a Miller).

Maybe I’m missing somebody but I can’t really recall an instance where Benning quickly realized a mistake and moved off a significant player that he’d actually signed himself (never mind doing so within a year or less of that contract being finalized). Maybe it did happen at some point and I’m just drawing a blank here? But I’d say it was actually a more common occurrence for JB to not realize his errors in any sort of timely fashion, and often for him to even to double down on them, rather than being quick to make changes when one of his handpicked roster additions/retentions failed to live up to the expectations of their new contracts.

Even if Benning did “fix mistakes” more frequently than I’m suggesting, and I’m just not remembering any of the examples, I’m not sure it’s fair to compare JB’s eight season body of work to what the current management has done in just over one year’s time (and significantly less time than that, as far as their work with a full management group in place). Without a doubt, the results so far (under Rutherford/Allvin) have been disappointing. But this new management is still trying to unravel quite a mess that they inherited. We’ll see what the results are ultimately, but if they actually fix any of their major mistakes and ship out any significant player signings that haven’t worked out, either over the coming months, or even before next season starts, they’ll probably have acted more quickly and decisively than Benning ever did IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Examples, please?

(Unless this was sarcasm and I just didn’t pick up on it?)

I’m having a hard time thinking of any instances where Benning “fixed” any of his own major contractual mistakes by moving players he’d signed within a year of negotiating their deals. Never mind trading someone (like Miller) before their new extension even kicked in.

He did make the Gudbranson move for Pearson, which was a good trade, but that was after three years of “negative value” on the ice from Guddy and two separate extensions handed out by JB. Loui Eriksson was here for 5 years of horrible value (on the books) and utter disappointment (on the ice) and then moved in a deal that actually made our cap situation worse (by taking on the OEL contract). And all this when he could’ve waited just one year for Eriksson (and Beagle and Roussel) to mercifully come off the books and open up some much needed cap space.

JB also let a number of significant players leave in free agency. Not sure those roster decisions were fixing mistakes, or if letting some of those guys walk were critical mistakes in themselves? Certainly there’s a handful of recently departed players who were very important leaders in the room and arguably we’re still feeling the effects of their absence. And in a few cases (like Tanev), we’re still looking for their replacements on the ice and dealing with a critical weakness at their position (RHD/defensive D).

I guess maybe Nate Schmidt would be an example of “fixing a mistake?” And credit to JB for realizing the fit wasn’t right with Schmidtty and flipping him after just one season in Vancouver. Of course, JB didn’t actually sign that player himself, so I’m not sure it really compares to any hypothetical trade of a newly signed or extended player (like a Miller).

Maybe I’m missing somebody but I can’t really recall an instance where Benning quickly realized a mistake and moved off a significant player that he’d actually signed himself (never mind doing so within a year or less of that contract being finalized). Maybe it did happen at some point and I’m just drawing a blank here? But I’d say it was actually a more common occurrence for JB to not realize his errors in any sort of timely fashion, and often for him to even to double down on them, rather than being quick to make changes when one of his handpicked roster additions/retentions failed to live up to the expectations of their new contracts.

Even if Benning did “fix mistakes” more frequently than I’m suggesting, and I’m just not remembering any of the examples, I’m not sure it’s fair to compare JB’s eight season body of work to what the current management has done in just over one year’s time (and significantly less time than that, as far as their work with a full management group in place). Without a doubt, the results so far (under Rutherford/Allvin) have been disappointing. But this new management is still trying to unravel quite a mess that they inherited. We’ll see what the results are ultimately, but if they actually fix any of their major mistakes and ship out any significant player signings that haven’t worked out, either over the coming months, or even before next season starts, they’ll probably have acted more quickly and decisively than Benning ever did IMO.

Well said. 

I do agree I wished we'd either have moved LE sooner or held on but at the same time I was pretty pumped about OEL and Garland. 

I think Schmidt is a good example of a high profile trade. We took him from Vegas and then flipped him to Winnipeg when we realized it wasn't a good fit. 

We traded for Bonino and Clenndenning and then flipped them later for Sutter. 

We traded for Gudbranson and then traded him.

I know all GMs obviously make moves but usually we see GMs keep the guys he brought in and ship out other guys. I didn't see that with Benning. He didn't care that he brought a guy in. He was ok with trading anyone. 

Benning has really handcuffed this team and organization for years with his foolish and stupidity. 

Taking on OEL was the stupidist thing he did as a GM, and he did a lot of stupid things. 

Allvin and Rutherford trying to get under from all that shit is going to take time, and especially considering the cap is now flat for the foreseeable future. 

My prediction is that we're going to lose Bo, Kuzmenko for either nothing (they walk into UFA) or they're traded. 

We will still be capped out and Petey will either be traded next year because he won't want to sign until management gets their shit together, but they won't. After losing Petey, Rutherford decides it's too much stress, and retires, leaving Allvin all alone with no president. During the 2024 season, Allvin is then fired, and the Canucks are now an even worse team than they are this season (is that possible??). 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Benning has really handcuffed this team and organization for years with his foolish and stupidity. 

Taking on OEL was the stupidist thing he did as a GM, and he did a lot of stupid things. 

Allvin and Rutherford trying to get under from all that shit is going to take time, and especially considering the cap is now flat for the foreseeable future. 

My prediction is that we're going to lose Bo, Kuzmenko for either nothing (they walk into UFA) or they're traded. 

We will still be capped out and Petey will either be traded next year because he won't want to sign until management gets their shit together, but they won't. After losing Petey, Rutherford decides it's too much stress, and retires, leaving Allvin all alone with no president. During the 2024 season, Allvin is then fired, and the Canucks are now an even worse team than they are this season (is that possible??). 

Sadly agree, don't think we've even seen the darkest days yet. JB really messed us up with the OEL deal but go figure not long after that our new management handcuff us with an even bigger 8M monster deal which ends in the player's late 30s. Not even finished cleaning up the last GM's mess and now we have a new one, it's like we're trying to create a core of big cap hits to sink us.

I could see JR resigning at the end of the season or next, he sounds surprised by how hard it's been and Allvin will not be able to float by himself, will get fleeced by other smarter more experienced GMs and get fired.

We can clean house as many times as we want, only 1 year ticks off those monster cap hit deals...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly agree, don't think we've even seen the darkest days yet. JB really messed us up with the OEL deal but go figure not long after that our new management handcuff us with an even bigger 8M monster deal which ends in the player's late 30s. Not even finished cleaning up the last GM's mess and now we have a new one, it's like we're trying to create a core of big cap hits to sink us.

I could see JR resigning at the end of the season or next, he sounds surprised by how hard it's been and Allvin will not be able to float by himself, will get fleeced by other smarter more experienced GMs and get fired.

We can clean house as many times as we want, only 1 year ticks off those monster cap hit deals...

image.jpeg.b480b66e9ab600118d2d53dc7bc882f8.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, combover said:

31E71579-C715-4B42-8EF7-AF059940CB53.jpeg.032fe9e99cfd6b731bbb604e46fd823b.jpeg

It’s been two months they haven’t turned it around in fact they gotten shittier.
Problem with making threats you have to follow through or look foolish. right now JR/PA look foolish. 

Unfortunately trades aren't going to just magically happen before the TDL. Very few trades are made before then, particularly in the recent Covid-cap environment. It is what it is.

We've got near 2 months of waiting, watching this crap, to do still... Get comfy :wacko:

And FWIW, the quote said players need to turn things around quickly, not that changes would happen quickly ;) 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unfortunately trades aren't going to just magically happen before the TDL. Very few trades are made before then, particularly in the recent Covid-cap environment. It is what it is.

We've got near 2 months of waiting, watching this crap, to do still... Get comfy :wacko:

And FWIW, the quote said players need to turn things around quickly, not that changes would happen quickly ;) 

Good point. If we see a flurry of trades in the league while we’re standing pat, that’s a different story.  For now, flat cap appears to be a reason, not an excuse, for no trades occurring. The next two months will separate contenders from pretenders, and $1-2M in cap space will prorate enough to trade big name contracts. Will be one of the most significant deadlines for the franchise in a decade. Don’t f it up!

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I sure hope you're wrong! 

Other teams still make stupid moves in a flat cap environment no?  We have to believe in their ability to be stupid!!  Maybe we should be calling on the Leafs?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe getting to .500 was considered “turning it around though”…

Just need a 10 game with streak and we’re right back in it!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe then they will realize trevor was correct all along.  Doubt he would come back though even though i would love him and his voice

• There it is 1

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well said. 

I do agree I wished we'd either have moved LE sooner or held on but at the same time I was pretty pumped about OEL and Garland. 

I think Schmidt is a good example of a high profile trade. We took him from Vegas and then flipped him to Winnipeg when we realized it wasn't a good fit. 

We traded for Bonino and Clenndenning and then flipped them later for Sutter. 

We traded for Gudbranson and then traded him.

I know all GMs obviously make moves but usually we see GMs keep the guys he brought in and ship out other guys. I didn't see that with Benning. He didn't care that he brought a guy in. He was ok with trading anyone. 

And I think that's exactly what he would have done with miller