The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, miller is more valuable and he also doesn't have any kind of ntc........oel had two teams he'd go to and that hamstrings everything

I disagree mostly, not entirely. But mostly. I think salary cap plays more of a role now than it ever has, and as a result good players who have huge price tags are valued way less than they used to. 

Millers contract is basically 10% of every teams payroll. That's very scary for every team. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For a guy that throws the term “busteroo” around all the time I’m surprised he’s so obsessed with acquiring Kotkeniemi. :lol:

I would be ok bringing KK in if Carolina made a good enough offer.  I think KK's career is salvageable and the Canucks would need a good 3C.  

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Basically the only scenario that is realistic is exactly what the OEL trade was, but the roles are reversed for us. 

Only way we move Miller is if it's for 1-3 players who have 1-3 years left on bad contracts and we just have to wait it out.

Anyone who thinks Miller will net us actual quality players or picks is dreaming. 

Think you forgot an important part of that deal

image.thumb.jpeg.0dd1f4c561ac9e3d7d762030fe0d30a6.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would be ok bringing KK in if Carolina made a good enough offer.  I think KK's career is salvageable and the Canucks would need a good 3C.  

Is he a good third line center though?

At almost 5 million cap hit he better be. I don’t see how that’s helping our cap situations with how long he’s signed. Seems like we’re just swapping one underperformer for another.

I’d rather take guys back with less term if we can. The goal needs to be to clear out cap.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

This is the only thing that the article says about teams being interested in Miller:

“As for a trade before the March 3 trade deadline, the Pittsburgh Penguins have cap space next season and beyond to take on Miller's contract. He's also been linked to the New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils.”

i don’t think this counts as a rumour

May be hes reporting what he read on CDC. And then CDC opens a topic on his report. It's a freaking loop. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true.  But has our owner allowed management to change direction from his “sell the future to win now” course?  Even Allvin said this franchise isn’t going to rebuild.  Hell, we got a third for Hamonic and then traded it for a 26 year old Dermott.  We moved a second to clear Dickinson so we could bring in a 25 year old Bear.  I have yet to see any change in direction.  Our owner will not allow a change.  

When we hear JR saying that Petey is the only untouchable, I wonder if things have changed some.    

You know how Rutherford said that his most important job is to "manage up".  In other words, convince the owner to let them do the right thing.  It may have been a little divide and conquer on Aquilini's part between Linden (rebuild) and Benning (yes man) but now he's only got 1 man who deals with him and I dare say he's more persuasive than the last geezer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At almost 5 million cap hit he better be. I don’t see how that’s helping our cap situations with how long he’s signed. Seems like we’re just swapping one underperformer for another.

I’d rather take guys back with less term if we can. The goal needs to be to clear out cap.

One thing about swedes and Finn's is that they are all well trained 200ft players and that was one of the things about his game that made him a high pick.  I think it would be a gamble, but if the sweetener was good enough, I'd probably bite.  Carolina has some good, young assets

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

to me, the goal is to balance the roster and bring in guys within the right timeline......KK is only 22 and though I agree about the term, if they can get him playing well then he's still got a couple years before a M-NTC kicks in, they could probably move him if they need to.

Again, it would be the sweetener that would be the main piece.......KK would be a wash with Miller, one favour for another and it still frees up over $3m a year.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Even if there is interest, can management pull it off?  Probably more

season 9 GIF

that's a whole different discussion and I'm on the fence because they have made some good, smaller moves.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Moving Miller would be ideal. Ship sailed on a good return, but bloated management committee can spread the blame around on that one and move on.

Hope this rumour is true.

Maybe the issue was the return wasn't as good as we thought it would be? 

well, I had a long post written out, then the chromebook died and I lost it, so here's the abridged version

Van 

Miller

Carolina

Jarvis- he's the sweetener for taking KK.  Smaller winger, but dynamic and makes other wingers expendable

KK - cap and doing Carolina a favour.  That said, he's only 22 and still developing.  Good 3C and might up his value as an asset.

1st - in the 25-32 range likely, but could be packaged to move up.

Van 

Miller

Detroit

Suter, expiring contract to make it more palatable

Kasper - the real prize.  Decent sized, 8th overall pick, depth down the middle for a long time.

1st - probably in the 20 range.  Should be good dmen in that spot, or packaged to move up

Van

Miller

Washington

Eller - expiring contract

Iorio - local (coquitlam), big, young solid 2way RD.....exactly the kind of player they need.  Maybe have to include woo or rathbone?

1st - 15-20 range probably

Van 

Miller

NJ

Severson - cap, but might be a good re-sign candidate depending on his ask

Nemec - swng for the fences, but probably untouchable

or

Mercer - makes them very deep down the middle, and Mercer is more like a 2B and getting better

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Insane isn't it. Allvin and co should treat Miller as a cap dump if it means we can re-sign Bo and Kuz and get this done. Obviously we'd have to take cap back in any deal

1) Pittsburgh - not sure who they'd give up. They need to hold on to their D with Letang injured. Straight swap for Zucker could work, maybe they throw in a pick (1st probably too much but I'd take a 2nd or honestly...nothing). They have a few contracts ending this off-season so have a tiny bit of scope to sign him.

2) Rangers - can't see how they can acquire Miller and get better, unless they trade us Goodrow (3.6M cap). They have 1.5M in cap space right now so could just about squeeze Miller in, then would have to do a fair bit of wheeling around to make his 8M fit in the off-season. Obviously if we're taking a 3.6M cap dump back they have to give us something tasty like a good prospect/young player (which I doubt they'll part with), or more likely a 1st round pick. Goodrow + 1st for Miller would do just fine and he could just about slot in for us at 3rd line center. Most importantly we free up a tonne of cap space.

3) Devils - this is where things get interesting, lots of options here. They have a lot of contracts expiring, lots of decisions to make on defence and up front. They'll have to pay Bratt big time, likely let veterans like Tatar and Haula walk, spend money on their kids and probably end up letting guys like Severson +/- Graves walk. I wonder...I'd happily do Miller for Severson straight up (maybe a pick coming back, or Haula as a 3C if they want more cap space?) if they can juggle their lineup to make Miler fit for this year. A lot depends as well on when Marino's injury is up and he comes back, but there's surely a trade here. At the very least we could do Miller for Tatar and a pick (1st or 2nd?) but I like the idea of Severson coming back as a sort of rental/possible Weegar-like instant extension.

4) Detroit - they've got 4M in cap space, have to re-sign Larkin in the off-season but not many other difficult decisions, they can send whatever they want over for Miller. A straight 1st round pick? Sure. They don't really have a "cap dump" they can send our way, even Perron is still producing loads of offence for his age and cap hit. They're probably best suited to sending us a pick or prospect over straight up, and can surely jiggle their lineup to get Miller's 5M to fit this year, and his extension next year.

I would take literally any one of these deals, ideally the NJD one, which means we can fit Bo in and avoid having to pay this guy 8M for the next almost-decade.

Yeah definitely Devils.....fingers crossed

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

This is the only thing that the article says about teams being interested in Miller:

“As for a trade before the March 3 trade deadline, the Pittsburgh Penguins have cap space next season and beyond to take on Miller's contract. He's also been linked to the New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils.”

i don’t think this counts as a rumour

So pretty much the same as anything Friedman or seravalli  have done but those are rumours? 

i guess he should have said “I’m hearing” because then it must be true. Lol

So you want confirmed rumours hahahahhahahaha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

well, I had a long post written out, then the chromebook died and I lost it, so here's the abridged version

Van 

Miller

Carolina

Jarvis- he's the sweetener for taking KK.  Smaller winger, but dynamic and makes other wingers expendable

KK - cap and doing Carolina a favour.  That said, he's only 22 and still developing.  Good 3C and might up his value as an asset.

1st - in the 25-32 range likely, but could be packaged to move up.

Van 

Miller

Detroit

Suter, expiring contract to make it more palatable

Kasper - the real prize.  Decent sized, 8th overall pick, depth down the middle for a long time.

1st - probably in the 20 range.  Should be good dmen in that spot, or packaged to move up

Van

Miller

Washington

Eller - expiring contract

Iorio - local (coquitlam), big, young solid 2way RD.....exactly the kind of player they need.  Maybe have to include woo or rathbone?

1st - 15-20 range probably

Van 

Miller

NJ

Severson - cap, but might be a good re-sign candidate depending on his ask

Nemec - swng for the fences, but probably untouchable

or

Mercer - makes them very deep down the middle, and Mercer is more like a 2B and getting better

I hope that would be the return we cannot afford dump miller or horvat. I like Kapanen Pierre Oliver Joseph for miller.