The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Conor Garland buyout this Summer?

Nobody is getting bought out.  Aquilini won't approve it.  We are stuck with these contracts, which in a way is a good thing as it will force this management group to do the right thing and rebuild this team.  It will take 3-5 years but it will be worth it. 

Once the OEL contract is done we can move forward as an organization and hopefully will have built up enough young talent to take a shot at a cup.  Petey will be 28-29 by then which is a similar age to when the Sedins were at their very peak and winning trophies and when we went to the finals.

Myers, Pearson, Boeser, Garland, Poolman, Stillman, OEL, all of these contracts will be gone in 4 years.  With Miller, his NMC is also wiped out after 4 years so if he is in a freefall then he could be traded or bought out at that time.  By then the cap will be pushing $100 million so it won't matter anymore.

The key is to build up the prospect pool right now and acquire some solid prospects.  We have 4 years to make this happen...

4 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why even sign anyone anymore. Just ice a team of ELCs and give some random ufas 15m x 1 to reach the cap floor. Can't be stuck with bad contracts if you don't sign any! 

We shouldn't be signing any UFA's to contracts longer than 3-4 years.  4 years should be our timeline to complete our rebuild...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We shouldn't be signing any UFA's to contracts longer than 3-4 years.  4 years should be our timeline to complete our rebuild...

How many more years does the current management have on their contracts?  Zero chance we have a 4 year (out) plan.  It's a two year plan, at best.  This group was hired to win within their three year contracts.  Year one is over, so two years left.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How many more years does the current management have on their contracts?  Zero chance we have a 4 year (out) plan.  It's a two year plan, at best.  This group was hired to win within their three year contracts.  Year one is over, so two years left.  

I believe JR signed a 3 year deal from last year.  So he may have only one year left after this year.  JR won't be around after next year.  He will be 75 years old.

https://www.tsn.ca/jim-rutherford-vancouver-canucks-1.1732579

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe JR signed a 3 year deal from last year.  So he may have only one year left after this year.  JR won't be around after next year.  He will be 75 years old.

https://www.tsn.ca/jim-rutherford-vancouver-canucks-1.1732579

So going to have to get the supporting group fixed pretty quick then.  Or it's on to another group. 

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

retain 25% on OEL, eat 1.815M for the remainder of the contract and get a modest return. That makes him available at a 5.4M cap hit, which is more than reasonable for OEL even at his age. We'd get a good return. 

NMC. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. And by all accounts, he doesn't want to.

Like the trade that brought him here or not, people just need to accept that he's likely here the next few years. (And on a team lacking top 4 D, it could be a lot worse).

We need to concentrate on things we can control. Move Miller. Horvat, Schenn and Kuz  too if they won't extend pre-TDL. And Myers and Pearson next year on their expiring contracts, with retention if necessary (or sooner if possible). Waive/buyout Poolman and Stillman.

Try to swap Garland and Boeser for slightly lower cap, bigger/faster/grittier 2 way players with lower offensive ceilings but more "bite". Bonus points if one's a 3C or the cap expires sooner as well. Chip away at that cap space.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So going to have to get the supporting group fixed pretty quick then.  Or it's on to another group. 

This mess won't be fixed by end of next year.  We are looking at a new regime most likely.  Once JR is gone at the end of next year, Allvin could be gone too.  Barry Trotz said he wants to get into management.  We should hire him as coach and give him an AGM title as well so he has say in personnel decisions.  We can always hire a new President that overseas the operations.  That guy can bring in a new GM if Allvin sh*ts the bed over the next year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm holding my judgement until after this TDL and then depending on how that goes, this summer as well. 

If they crap the bed on either/both of those, I'll have my answer on whether the Canucks want my support as a customer moving forward.

I want to see a plan and forward progress.

I'm already less engaged than normal, watching less games, spending less time and money. I doubt I'm alone.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

NMC. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. And by all accounts, he doesn't want to.

Like the trade that brought him here or not, people just need to accept that he's likely here the next few years. (And on a team lacking top 4 D, it could be a lot worse).

We need to concentrate on things we can control. Move Miller. Horvat, Schenn and Kuz  too if they won't extend pre-TDL. And Myers and Pearson next year on their expiring contracts, with retention if necessary (or sooner if possible). Waive/buyout Poolman and Stillman.

Try to swap Garland and Boeser for slightly lower cap, bigger/faster/grittier 2 way players with lower offensive ceilings but more "bite". Bonus points if one's a 3C or the cap expires sooner as well. Chip away at that cap space.

You can always give OEL an ultimatum.  Agree to be traded somewhere or we will buy you out.  He would be forced to play for another team if we buy him out unless he wants to retire.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm holding my judgement until after this TDL and then depending on how that goes, this summer as well. 

If they crap the bed on either/both of those, I'll have my answer on whether the Canucks want my support as a customer moving forward.

I want to see a plan and forward progress.

I'm already less engaged than normal, watching less games, spending less time and money. I doubt I'm alone.

It's quite the trip for me to go see a game in person, so I usually go once a year. There is absolutely zero chance I'm going to spend the time and money to go see this lazy team play. The high likelihood I'll be disappointed and frustrated with the team is a hard pass for me.

This team needs major change or it's going to start isolating lifelong fans.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

It is a 2/3 buyout. So we essentially save 5.66 million in cap over 3 years and are paying 11.33 in buyout cost.

So if we signed Horvat to 7 years that is essentially adding 1.61 million to his number. So that would put him close to 10 million. 

On top of that we have to find a more productive player than Garland for 1.88 million which likely isn't happening. 

VERY stupid, short-sighted, shooting ourselves in the foot kind of deal given Garland is still a productive player. 

It makes much more send to move Myers or Pearson at 50% retained or even buying out Pearson instead at least we aren't saddled with a massive buyout cost for years. 

We got 2.75 million in JT costs coming up and 2.4 in buyout cap coming off. 

If we trade Bo and buyout Pearson that gives us 7.3 million to sign Kuzmenko and maybe a small raise to Bear & Schenn. 

Even if we don't move Myers his 6M comes off the books when we go to re-sign EP

Edited by canucklehead44

If there's any truth to this, then seriously this team can $$$$ right off. I want to watch a team with a sense of direction, but there is no possible way that we don't reuse Garland's cap to extend guys we currently have. So what's the end goal? Hope this team ends up better with the same players, minus one of our best 5v5 players? $$$$ that. 

I spend way too much of my time and money on this team to want to watch it being run as if its only purpose is to be a source of income. Have some balls, Aquilini, we're fed up with this bull$hit mediocrity and you're at the forefront of this mess. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s already the worst trade.  I hope our owner understands (and accepts) what his insisted upon direction  does to management.  Especially a guy like Benning, who would do what’s told. 

A few disagreed with me because I called that trade "objectively bad". We gave up a 1st, 2nd and a chance at Guenther for a $8.25m past his prime on the decline defenseman with a long term contract and a player who was resigned for $5m right away and has 6 goals on the season. Guenther is on pace to produce more points this season....as a 19 year old. Not only did we miss out on a top 10 pick, we mortgaged even more future for 2 players that have has ZERO impact on this team when simply waiting for Beagle's, Roussel's etc. contracts to expire would have likely yielded the same on ice results without missing out on top tier talent and picks. 

I want someone to explain to me, using examples, statistics and common sense how this trade isn't objectively terrible. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Upvote 1

Another bad contract from the JB shocking. 

garland should be tradable with salary retained

wouldn’t we get more relief if we retain a 1 mill then bought him out. 
he’s a nhler just not a 4.9 mill nhler.

pearson on the other hand I just don’t see anyone wanting him easy just to replace him with far cheaper options. It was just another of the many mistakes resigning him. 

myers 

Next year at the TDL he should be movable if they can’t wait then 50% retained might be the only way to move him.

i wouldn’t expect much in the way of return from any of our tradables except horvat and miller. 

This ownership keep looking for quick fixes in ten years they’ve found none because there isn’t any. 

A pile of dead cap isn’t going to solve the issues. 
this season should be a back to the drawing board eye opening season for Francesco but it just feels like

he’s 
EFC62084-A784-4B75-BB4F-E3152BB5D3A4.jpeg.ff610657621ac7493ffe44f23755bcab.jpeg

so it’s pretty tough to see the problem when he can’t look in the mirror.