The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Conor Garland buyout this Summer?

These buyouts make no sense.  Garland isn’t trash, he is just not a great fit.   We aren’t winning this year, keep him for next season and he is eminently trade-able once the cap rises a little.

Myers could be traded to a budget team after his bonus is paid or kept as a deadline trade. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Garland is still a very tradable player so a buyout makes minimal to no sense.

I agree.  Garland is at his lowest value right now, due to playing on the 3rd line and very little PP mins.  Normally

he's a top 6 player is feisty, works hard and has a solid offensive game.  For whatever the reason, he is not

being played to increase his value in a trade.  If the coach won't pump his tires now, then do it early next season.

Better late, than never seeing if Garland's value will go up (as it did last season 52pt in 72gm).

The famous salesman's quote: "buy low; sell high"; doesn't appear to be a tactic in this case.

The only main players that must be signed or traded by TDL are Bo , Kuzmencho, and  Schenn.  Any other

players can wait until the offseason. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pump and dump him and Boeser after trading away Horvat + Miller. 

They should try to elevate them now!  Management just isn't putting them in positions to succeed.
Case in point, they totally changed up the PP setup in today's game such that Brock became the net front guy and Miller/ Petey switched sides, etc.  I just don't think Boeser is cut out to be a net-front guy the way someone like Kuzmenko is.  Instead I would hope that they could do something like Garland on one unit's left wall (so they're on their forehand and able to make plays), or Boeser can play the bumper on one PP so that he can get his one-timer off.  Arrangements like below would also let the team become less predictable on offense IMO.

Kuzmenko

Garland - Horvat - Petey
                Hughes

Dries
Mikheyev - Boeser - Miller
                     OEL 

• Vintage 1

This team needs to put guys like Garland in a position to succeed in order to make him tradeable if they decide they don't want him anymore. Instead, the MO the last 6 years has been to bench the players we don't want in order to 'promote a winning culture' and then be forced to buy them out.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

This team needs to put guys like Garland in a position to succeed in order to make him tradeable if they decide they don't want him anymore. Instead, the MO the last 6 years has been to bench the players we don't want in order to 'promote a winning culture' and then be forced to buy them out.

Lol yep!

Like why aren’t you playing Garland with Petey. Pump those stats and get him going. Make him look like the top 6 Benning thought he was.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol yep!

Like why aren’t you playing Garland with Petey. Pump those stats and get him going. Make him look like the top 6 Benning thought he was.

BB hasn’t taking a liking to Garland from day one.  

40 minutes ago, tas said:

prove it. I guarantee you they've been trying for 6 months. 

Trades in season are pretty tough these days but I assume Garland would get some attention in the summer.

NHL needs to do something to improve in season trade environment:

Something like (and just spitballing here) teams can acquire UFA assets that put them up to $3M over the salary cap between Jan and TDL (and for the remainder of the season). That would allow contending teams to take on assets. The selling teams would likely get better returns and would likely be more open to taking in cap dumps as well. 

But who knows...

1 hour ago, tas said:

in a cap climate where no team has been able to move any money at all, what's suddenly going to change to allow the canucks to move 4 high priced players?

Teams have actually moved money. I gave Bjorkstrand as an example earlier. And numerous guys have moved with expiring money going the other way. And nowhere did I say that I wouldn't be expecting cap coming back in some/all of those.

2 hours ago, tas said:

which team wants a 4'10" player that can't contribute at either end of the ice or on either special team?

garland might be the most useless player on this team. 

edit: for $5 mil a year. 

That's what I see. He turns over the puck far more than Miller just in a different way. Respect how hard he tries for a small guy but he's useless. 

• Cheers 2