The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Conor Garland buyout this Summer?

6 hours ago, tas said:

I agree, but it doesn't make him useless. garland is useless. an offense only player who is useless in every other way, and also doesn't put up offense. think mason raymond but worse. 

At least Garland can stay on his skates better than Raymond. You have to, at very least, concede that.

In any particular game, Raymond’s total TOI should have been accurately and separately recorded as time spent vertical versus horizontal. He literally clocked “time on ice”.

Edited by RWJC

4 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

The guy to buyout is Poolman, save 2mil off the cap each of the next 2 years, followed by 2 years of 1mil penalty. That is, if we're going to buyout anyone, buying out Garland is just dumb.

He might not be healthy during the buyout window - injured players can't be bought out. 

The buyout window runs from circa 15 June (depends on the finals) to 30 June.  Canucks get a 2nd window if a player files for arbitration but only contracts 4M and above can be bought out during that 2nd window.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, mll said:

He might not be healthy during the buyout window - injured players can't be bought out. 

The buyout window runs from circa 15 June (depends on the finals) to 30 June.  Canucks get a 2nd window if a player files for arbitration but only contracts 4M and above can be bought out during that 2nd window.

Yeah, that is unfortunate,  I guess it could only happen if he got healthy enough to want to attempt another comeback. I don't really think buyouts are the way to go for this team, anyway.

8 hours ago, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

If Garland is bought out, does this go down as one of the worst trades in Canuck histroy, especially with Gunther looking like a stud and we could've cleared enough money to bring back Bo?  

garlands a good player, we saw it last year just everyone on the canucks seem to be ona different page or something, i thought we would be decent with how the last half of the season went but nope... we shouldnt trade him for garbage and unless we trade a few other players to re-sign BoHo and Kuz but i guess we'll see, if they buy him out then ill give management some shit, alot of people already calling for their head after a yearish at least give em till summer ect.

EDIT: went off topic there with the management part, but cant fix a team ina half season and teams probs low-balling considering our record.

Edited by TNucks1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Myers is a buyout candidate.

I don’t see Garland as one. He’s young enough and has a good enough track record that he still has value.

5 million dollars will seem like a bargain as salaries continue to rise.

Myers can be traded but agree that Garland is not.

Pearson is my bet to be a buyout.

10 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

We'd be better off sticking him in Abby.

Stillman buyout: '23-'24 and '24-'25: $225k

Stillman buried: '23-'24: $200k

Buying out and burying Stillman effectively clear the same amount of cap and both leave such a miniscule penalty that it's basically non-existent. One reason why a buyout might make more sense is that it clears a contract. For a team that currently only has 3 contract spots left available (sitting at 47/50), gaining an additional spot could be useful for bringing in assets from trades.

retain 25% on OEL, eat 1.815M for the remainder of the contract and get a modest return. That makes him available at a 5.4M cap hit, which is more than reasonable for OEL even at his age. We'd get a good return. 

DO NOT buyout Garland. If he is good enough to be traded, trade him. If not, retain and wait for his value to increase.

Trade Schenn, Boeser, Horvat and Miller. Retain Myers until his contract year, than move him at the aforementioned deadline.

Bury Poolman and Stillman. 

Re-sign Kuzmenko. 

There's my plan. 

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Buying out and burying Stillman effectively clear the same amount of cap and both leave such a miniscule penalty that it's basically non-existent. One reason why a buyout might make more sense is that it clears a contract. For a team that currently only has 3 contract spots left available (sitting at 47/50), gaining an additional spot could be useful for bringing in assets from trades.

We'll be at 26 contracts at the end of the season. No reason for a Stillman buyout.

This is a trade I think makes a lot of sense:

To Vancouver
Nemeth

To Arizona
Myers
4th round pick 

Pay Myers his 5 million dollar bonus then he costs $1M in actual dollars. Nemeth is owed $3.5 million in actual dollars at a $2.5 million cap hit. Even throw in a pick as a sweetener. Arizona also gets a more valuable player they can likely move for a 3rd at the deadline if they retain half his cap. 

OR you can throw in a 3rd team.

To Vancouver
Nemeth

To Arizona
4th round pick Van
5th round pick (third team)
50% retained on Myers Cap

To Third Team
Myers

I think there might be a team out there willing to add Myers at 3 million for a 3rd round pick. This is cheaper than a buyout or retaining on Myers for Vancouver. Arizona saves quite a bit of hard cash moving out Nemeth and gets two picks. Vancouver saves $3.5M in cap space. Although I think it makes more sense for Arizona to keep him till the deadline since he is costing them the same as a replacement level player and will get a higher return. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Like 1

buying out or burying stillman and buying out Poolman if they want to do that and save the LTIR will give them 3 million in cap space next year, buying out garland doesn't make sense to me, yes he has had a down year but with a million retain we could prob get a 2nd in 2023... the cap hit to us if we buy out will be more than 1 mill per year 

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

This is a trade I think makes a lot of sense:

To Vancouver
Nemeth

To Arizona
Myers
4th round pick 

Pay Myers his 5 million dollar bonus then he costs $1M in actual dollars. Nemeth is owed $3.5 million in actual dollars at a $2.5 million cap hit. Even throw in a pick as a sweetener. Arizona also gets a more valuable player they can likely move for a 3rd at the deadline if they retain half his cap. 

OR you can throw in a 3rd team.

To Vancouver
Nemeth

To Arizona
4th round pick Van
5th round pick (third team)
50% retained on Myers Cap

To Third Team
Myers

I think there might be a team out there willing to add Myers at 3 million for a 3rd round pick. This is cheaper than a buyout or retaining on Myers for Vancouver. Arizona saves quite a bit of hard cash moving out Nemeth and gets two picks. Vancouver saves $3.5M in cap space. Although I think it makes more sense for Arizona to keep him till the deadline since he is costing them the same as a replacement level player and will get a higher return. 

This is kind of how we were able to get Bear. Cost us a second to clear off Dickinson.  

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

buying out or burying stillman and buying out Poolman if they want to do that and save the LTIR will give them 3 million in cap space next year, buying out garland doesn't make sense to me, yes he has had a down year but with a million retain we could prob get a 2nd in 2023... the cap hit to us if we buy out will be more than 1 mill per year 

IMHAO our owner isn’t keen on big money buyouts.  Garland might cost him too much.  

Just now, Alflives said:

IMHAO our owner isn’t keen on big money buyouts.  Garland might cost him too much.  

agree and I think its a waste of a buyout, I think there would be a taker for a good return if we retain a million, 

If you retain I million on Garland I bet you get a 2nd (possibly + a B prospect or later pick), retain a million in Brock and you get a 1st

Brock looks like a good bet at 5.63 million x 2 years, not sure why nucks cannot think outside the bun and get this done already