The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

True- however the Canucks can retain salary, which makes other team's cap trouble a minimal concern.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We could retain that amount though, on expiring contracts. Then the acquiring team gets the player for more games, and we lessen the risk of a trade chip getting injured and having no value. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, I get it. But given we should probably be retaining 50% on Bo's deal anyway I think we should be looking at deals sooner than later. 

Kuzmenko's bargain bin cap hit won't be impacted much by waiting either, same goes for Schenn. It's part of why they're such valuable trade chips. 

Retaining salary at the TDL cap hit would be even more attractive. There are a lot of intangibles that go into it. Management can be fully criticized if they do nothing major by the deadline, but till then, I'll be patient and see what happens.

I doubt the Canucks will deal Kuzmenko. Management has had a relationship for almost a decade scouting him and he loves Vancouver. Great chemistry with Petey as well, defs something we should keep moving forward.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Retaining salary at the TDL cap hit would be even more attractive. There are a lot of intangibles that go into it. Management can be fully criticized if they do nothing major by the deadline, but till then, I'll be patient and see what happens.

I doubt the Canucks will deal Kuzmenko. Management has had a relationship for almost a decade scouting him and he loves Vancouver. Great chemistry with Petey as well, defs something we should keep moving forward.

Depends, his agent was speaking to the media back in early December and mentioned something along the lines of not talking extension til the end of the season, or at least closer to it. That was then, maybe things have shifted, maybe not.  

Also doesn't matter if they don't have the cap space to extend him, he's not going to come cheap by any stretch if his production continues. He doesn't owe us any sort of discount and I don't expect one.  

He's found money, a free asset, and we're a team that desperately needs to be acquiring picks, prospects, and young NHL'ers. 

I understand your argument for waiting on Horvat and it's a fair argument, but I'd rather take a deal sooner than later if we can negotiate a good return, his getting hurt and our not being able to get value is a legitimate possibility and it'd be Canucks luck. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm hoping we start seeing trades sooner than later, seeing Horvat hunched over on the bench was a bit worrisome 

Worst case scenario would be high value trade assets like Horvat and Kuzmenko somehow getting seriously hurt, or hurt at all 

The longer management deliberates the longer we tempt fate 

Why do I feel like this would be par for the course for this team. Sit on your hands long enough…

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Kuz’ best move at end of season may be to stick with this club and EP and boost his stats and eventual next contract value.  If we are dealing away major $$$ with any of Bo, JTM, BB6, or even Myers, we will be establishing some cap room allocated on F replacements while hopefully rebuilding D completely.

Given the state of our franchise, mgmt may just use that money to throw close to top dollar at Kuz anyway to stay on a 3 year deal, so he wins either way - with us or as a UFA elsewhere. Better with us though because we will need his O and there is no guarantee any other team will give him the TOI that we might have to.

That said, it’s kind of like the BB6 situation here now…if you’re gonna pay someone 5-6mill+ you have to play them. 

Will be interesting to see the roster shakeups at TDL and offseason and where new opportunities arise with other clubs.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

I keep feeling bad for Boudreau through all of this. He deserves better.

I don’t think he’s been a part of a team like this in all his years of coaching. You can tell he’s just embarrassed at this point. Like how am I coaching a team this bad? We keep making the same mistakes again and again? Are they not listening or are they dumb?

Kinda wish we could keep him in the fold as an assistant. Clearly he can get the forwards scoring. Maybe pair him with a defensive minded head coach? Or would that be beneath him? Maybe he just wants to be done with this team? 

Either way I’m not sure anyone hands him a head coaching job right away. Would be pretty sad if this team made him wanna retire…

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Zerofaith said:

Who actually tunes in expecting this team to win anymore. Lack of effort, commitment and communication is this teams identity. But they do excel at giving us material to joke about. 

I watched replay game and lasted like 6 minutes. They're so f**king bad it's hilarious. Like relegate this f**kin team already. Relocate them. I don't give a shit.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think he’s been a part of a team like this in all his years of coaching. You can tell he’s just embarrassed at this point. Like how am I coaching a team this bad? We keep making the same mistakes again and again? Are they not listening or are they dumb?

Kinda wish we could keep him in the fold as an assistant. Clearly he can get the forwards scoring. Maybe pair him with a defensive minded head coach? Or would that be beneath him? Maybe he just wants to be done with this team? 

Either way I’m not sure anyone hands him a head coaching job right away. Would be pretty sad if this team made him wanna retire…

He’s got a gig back in the US that he’s also somewhat passionate about and left for the Nux. He’ll land on his feet, but totally agree about him being wasted, and somewhat disrespected too.

Would love to retain him as an associate head coach but very unlikely scenario. He deserves way better and it really disappoints me because I was vocal on these boards about hiring him way back when and feel it’s a completely missed opportunity now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't know what the situation is.

Who knows if he wanted the assistants who were brought in this year or not.

If for example, it was his decision to bring in Yeo, then that is on him.  (Yeo was an assistant in Minnesota)

I like Boudreau.... but I don't think he is a real hands on coach who gets into the details... I think he focuses on building up the team's psychology rather than systems.

Without good assistants, the results aren't going to be there.

That's what I think is happening this year.

This team was ruined by Green... and they all play Green's defensive style most of the time... which is a passive, collapse to the net, depend on the goalie style of play.

That didn't work under Green and with the current team constantly reverting to that style when they are under pressure, it results in the dogs breakfast we see.

The whole team needs to be shaken up and really have their view changed to focus on defensive responsibilty and positioning in their own zone.

That doesn't have to affect the offensive style they play, which has gotten better under Boudreau, but they do need to discard all the cr*p they learned under Green.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to believe we'll make the playoffs let alone contend this year. Blow it all up JR.

Posters piling on as if they are smart make the CDC a Debbie Downer kind of place.

This is supposed to be for FANS, not whinging turds.

Blow it all up, trade everyone away, bad owner, bad mngt, bad coaching, bad players, it is all just a keyboard ego-trip.

You have ruined a good thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 7