The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There has to be one more coach.

Friedman mentioned someone named Matvichuk. Not really sure how he’s qualified.

Also Gonchar may or may not be a full time add. Might also be an advisor role.

If that's Richard Matvichuk he's an old Blade and we'd be extremely lucky to have a stud like that in our org. Shaw like!

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Why not? Do you have some specific knowledge over him and other candidates?

I've yet to hear a good reason or in depth knowledge of why this is a bad choice hockey wise?

People hate Tocchet because he’s not Bruce. He is firm and holds people accountable. He’s not a nice I’m your friend type of coach.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Why not? Do you have some specific knowledge over him and other candidates?

I've yet to hear a good reason or in depth knowledge of why this is a bad choice hockey wise?

The guy has never been a winner in the handful of years he's coached.

You can only blame your teams so long but a good coach will have at least a winning season. The NHL coaching selection is an old boys club of just some horrible coaches continuing to circulate around the league. Same terrible performers keep getting shuffled around. If I underperformed for 5 years for my job I wouldn't have a job but once you get that head coaching job it seems like you work for a union lol. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That’s even worse.

We’re gonna put a guy with zero credentials in charge of the D again. We made that mistake with Baumgartner and Cull.

Foote will be in charge of the D, and even he has little experience. Hopefully his pedigree as a player can make him successful as a coach though.

Totally agree, but at least Matvichuk and especially Foote were top 4 NHL D men for their teams.  Baumer was an AHL guy which usually means his decision making wasn’t good enough for the NHL.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s even worse.

We’re gonna put a guy with zero credentials in charge of the D again. We made that mistake with Baumgartner and Cull.

Foote will be in charge of the D, and even he has little experience. Hopefully his pedigree as a player can make him successful as a coach though.

Gonchar might be great for Hughes

• Huggy Bear 1