The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 21, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeo was hired with Boudreau’s complete blessing. Saying it was JR who brought him in is disingenuous…

“I am so excited to help bring this group of coaches together," Boudreau said. "When I started the conversations with Mike Yeo, it became clear to me that he would be an excellent addition. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/mike-yeo-jeremy-colliton-join-canucks-organization-in-coaching-roles/

He agreed to it.

Rutherford was the one who added him though.

• There it is 2

Bruce is all class. 

He knew for a while that management didn't like him after the constant criticism from JR and even this past week when JR embarrassed him even more by blatantly admitting "looking for another coach for months" but "Bruce is still our coach". 

He was aware that it was a matter of time he was going to be canned and he could've very easily taken the opportunity to take more shots at management too for the p*ss poor job they did when answering to the media day in and day out.

I mean why not? He's 68, likely his last head coaching gig, management has been nothing but absolutely disrespectful, gonna get fired anyways, so might as well call JR and his cronies out for their terrible work. I'd be p*ssed they're using me as a scapegoat. 

The only time he slightly hit back was when he said "he tries the best with what he has" which isn't really even much of a shot, just answering the questions the media kept hounding him with. 

He maintained professionalism and his composure all the way through. 

Thank you Bruce. You deserved to be treated better than that.

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

14 minutes ago, tas said:

I have to say, as terrible as the canucks brass is in all this, the greasy, disingenuous media aren't much better. rummaging around, reporting whatever unsubstantiated rumours they can, fuelling the gossip, reporting every little detail unabashedly, all while shaming the canucks for letting the saga play out in the media. if you're so concerned about bruce, let him him have his privacy. 

parasites. 

Paterson's the worst of them all. 

• There it is 1

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's bullsh!t.  Let's stop mythologizing him.  He had demko cover the warts last year and no structure to his game, at all, this year.  He has been a huge part of the problem 

Great guy, hated seeing him so disrespected, but he was not good in Van, at all 

No offense but this roster can't play structured hockey. 

All previous coaching staff had their wining percentage tank after trying to implement structure. Same with Green and same with BB. I don't think it will be any different with Tocchet. Heck it may be worse. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm still wondering when I hear this comment what would have been the right treatment?

Don't publicly comment by saying things like "Bruce is the coach for now" and let it be known that you're actively pursuing other options. 

To be clear, I think Bruce needed to go AND I think it is smart to be proactive in searching for a replacement. However, don't drag things out in the media for basically four months where you openly question the ability of the person who is part of your team. 

Bruce was owed no loyalty. However, it seems pretty clear to me that what the Canucks' front office was doing went beyond "just business". As the head coach, Boudreau has to face the media basically every day. So every day he is in the firing line being asked questions about his job security and the people who supposedly are in leadership positions did nothing to protect him. Some could just say that the coach needs to suck it up and that he's being paid to do a job. That could partly be true, but if you have any designs on running an organization that attracts the best in the world, you need to have leaders who try to put people in positions to succeed. 

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

#CountryClub

This. exactly this. Effort wasn't there.

But on the coaching side, neither was the structure and discipline. Bowness made it clear that you keep your shift lengths short, or you don't play. Boudreau I'm sure makes the same ask but there's no enforcement. 

Boudreau believed in giving his players far more creative freedom and leeway, but the reality is, ours need a strong leader that holds everyone to a higher standard. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

11 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Quietly go about business like a professional organization and keep things sealed instead of purposely letting out leaks.

There were parasites following JR and Aquilini around in Vegas who were reporting that they were meeting with Tocchet. It had nothing to do with the Canucks management leaking anything out. 

• There it is 2

31 minutes ago, tas said:

I have to say, as terrible as the canucks brass is in all this, the greasy, disingenuous media aren't much better. rummaging around, reporting whatever unsubstantiated rumours they can, fuelling the gossip, reporting every little detail unabashedly, all while shaming the canucks for letting the saga play out in the media. if you're so concerned about bruce, let him him have his privacy. 

parasites. 

The media is doing their job. There is clearly fire with this situation and half of it was JR pouring gasoline on the fire with his press conference. 

This is literally Aqua setting up the fire wood, JR lighting up the fire, Media fanning the flames, and JR then pouring gasoline over it. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • There it is 2

25 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He stinks.  I called it ages ago.  And called his signing the worst move this club could possibly make.  Ended up being 100 percent right.  Now all the boeser karens who attacked me are in hiding. 

:lol:

What the hell is wrong with you? 

You continually berate Boeser.

Like, did he beat you up, steal your lunch money, take away your best girl? 

This is beyond pathologically insane.

You're stalking/hating on a player. 

God knows, the real Vedder would be ashamed. 

Boeser ain't perfect, but...

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

This. exactly this. Effort wasn't there.

But on the coaching side, neither was the structure and discipline. Bowness made it clear that you keep your shift lengths short, or you don't play. Boudreau I'm sure makes the same ask but there's no enforcement. 

Boudreau believed in giving his players far more creative freedom and leeway, but the reality is, ours need a strong leader that holds everyone to a higher standard. 

Yeah, I’ll be interested to see more accountability with this group. I think some struggling players will step up. Karlsson asked his coach for more accountability this season in SJS…seemed to work out alright.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The truly don't. They have one top 4 defenceman and only two non replacement-level centers in Petey and Bo. They have a gluttony of  talented wingers, the least valuable position in the modern NHL. Defensive structure will undoubtedly help this team. They will be a better team under a new coach. They will not be a good team. They will never be a good team until this organization stops trying to squeeze blood from a stone. If they continue business as usual this team will spend the remainder of Hughes/Petey's tenure as Canucks playing playoff-like games in November because this team doesn't have the depth to be a good team. 

They are the sixth best team in their own division and the Kings are only going to get better. The Ducks have one of the top prospect systems in the NHL. 

Thank you. Maybe by hook and crook and impossibility but it is not a good hockey team. They have two to four good pieces. That's it. The team configuration is garbage. Arizona (close), Seattle, Ottawa, Anaheim, and others all have better bones.