The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Price for Quinn Hughes?

Nothing should be off the table considering the state of the current roster and the fairly bleak future in terms of prospects and cap space, but a return for Quinn Hughes would have to be incredibly substantial and an overpayment to move on from Hughes as part of a reset for the team.

The only team I could even fathom paying that price is Jersey.  There is a massive PR win in having all three brothers, but much more importantly, how much cheaper does it make re-upping them all on their next contracts if they only way to stay together is to take a decent discount.  The family and brothers seem really close so you think that would be a real desire on their part to have the third brother there.  This could be a very strategic move for a team that seems like it will be a legitimate contender in a couple of years as their high end young talent hits their prime.

The kind of package I would think gets the conversation going:

Nemec
Holz
McCleod (or 2025 1st round pick)
2024 1st round pick
Zetterlund

It seems like a lot and Jersey would be pillaging a large part of their prospect future... but on the other hand, they have most of their roster already filled with high end young guys 25 or under so don't really need to have many prospects in the pipeline.

On our end you really have to think about a deal like that.  Hughes is almost certainly the best player in the deal by a decent margin... but we also have OEL signed for the exact same amount of term as Hughes (and Hughes is a UFA after that and may not re-sign with us).  If you remove Hughes, then OEL slots into those offensive minutes and is utilized better, and not miscast in a shutdown role that he just isn't good at.  We have an offensive drop off, but can also then re-allocate that Hughes cap space to try to find D better suited to our needs.  It also may open up a space for Rathbone to be put in a position to succeed as well (I have my doubts... but there is no chance for him to succeed with our current roster).

We suddenly move our prospect pool from 28th in the league to top 10 in one move, as well as having extra first round picks to keep us there for a few more years.

I do a deal like that, not sure either Vancouver or Jersey does though.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Nothing should be off the table considering the state of the current roster and the fairly bleak future in terms of prospects and cap space, but a return for Quinn Hughes would have to be incredibly substantial and an overpayment to move on from Hughes as part of a reset for the team.

The only team I could even fathom paying that price is Jersey.  There is a massive PR win in having all three brothers, but much more importantly, how much cheaper does it make re-upping them all on their next contracts if they only way to stay together is to take a decent discount.  The family and brothers seem really close so you think that would be a real desire on their part to have the third brother there.  This could be a very strategic move for a team that seems like it will be a legitimate contender in a couple of years as their high end young talent hits their prime.

Nemec
Holz
2024 1st round pick
Zetterlund

It seems like a lot and Jersey would be pillaging a large part of their prospect future... but on the other hand, they have most of their roster already filled with high end young guys 25 or under so don't really need to have many prospects in the pipeline.

On our end you really have to think about a deal like that.  Hughes is almost certainly the best player in the deal by a decent margin... but we also have OEL signed for the exact same amount of term as Hughes (and Hughes is a UFA after that and may not re-sign with us).  If you remove Hughes, then OEL slots into those offensive minutes and is utilized better, and not miscast in a shutdown role that he just isn't good at.  We have an offensive drop off, but can also then re-allocate that Hughes cap space to try to find D better suited to our needs.  It also may open up a space for Rathbone to be put in a position to succeed as well (I have my doubts... but there is no chance for him to succeed with our current roster).

We suddenly move our prospect pool from 28th in the league to top 10 in one move, as well as having extra first round picks to keep us there for a few more years.

If we could trade Bo for Byram then moving Hughes for your suggested return makes sense. 

Honestly, I'd like to get an A+ defensive prospect or at least a very high one plus a good pick for him. Even if Hughes doesn't fit our timeline, there's no doubting that we need to be adding defense, not losing them.

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nemec
Holz
2024 1st round pick
Zetterlund

Do you actually ever attend games? Or do you just watch from the couch and read Vancouver sports media before posting?

How many times have you watched OEL live this year? 

• RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL is a 3rd pairing Dman, we'd be taking a massive drop in talent on the left side.  Also, Jersey probably wouldn't even do Nemec straight up for Quinn.  Nemec was the 2nd overall pick last year.  His upside is a top pairing RHDman.  

But Hughes IS a top pairing LHDman 

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Hamilton and Hughes as your offensive drivers from the back end 

Could get them a cup 

Yeah, I think Hughes is greater than Nemec at this point, but by how much? Certainly not as Much as the Poster suggests...........

Maybe Nemec and McLeod

Something along those lines..........

Maybe add a little for the rarity of 3 brothers playing on the same team, but that would be it, I think?????

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL is a 3rd pairing Dman, we'd be taking a massive drop in talent on the left side.  Also, Jersey probably wouldn't even do Nemec straight up for Quinn.  Nemec was the 2nd overall pick last year.  His upside is a top pairing RHDman.  

Ya, Nemec has all the tools for a #1 dman. I have a hard time seeing them moving him. Luke and Nemec is their future pairing for 10 years, makes no sense to Nemec just to reunite brothers.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But Hughes IS a top pairing LHDman 

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Hamilton and Hughes as your offensive drivers from the back end 

Could get them a cup 

They have Seigenthaler who is a better partner for Hamilton. Plus they have Luke coming up. They don’t have any room for Quinn. Nemec and Luke will probably be their future #1 pairing. 

The whole brother thing is nice in theory but doesn’t make sense to New Jersey from a team balance point of view. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Winning is far better marketing than any other superficial gimmick.

NJD already has one of the best D-corps in the league.  They've been pretty much top-5 in all key defensive metrics.  Can't really see why they would want to mess with that. Would expect them to use their assets to make more necessary changes than to try and fix something that isn't broken for the sake of a PR stunt.

Adding Quinn Hughes would also box out Luke Hughes which kind of defeats the purpose.  There's not enough minutes or a role to go around when they already have Hamilton as offensive D and PP QB.  Fitzgerald also made it clear that they didn't pick Luke because he was Jack's brother but because they felt he was the best players available at that slot.  

Quinn doesn't even feel like a stylistic fit.  NJD wants the puck with their Fs as quickly as possible and especially with Jack.  Quinn is one of the Ds that handle the puck the most and has it on his stick often more than any Fs in the o-zone - even led the league in o-zone possession time in the past.  NJD more of a rush team while Vancouver a cycle team. 

NJD has long mocked teams who think that hoarding talent is how you build a team - was already brought up under Shero.  Fitzgerald was again repeating that this year and talking about how roster construction is like a puzzle where pieces have to fit together and explaining the importance of role players that need to complement their stars.  There's only 1 puck and so many minutes to go around.  He was also saying that the most important part is for everyone to have a role and be involved so that you get buy-in throughout the lineup.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Nemec, Mercer and a later pick would be a great return.  Blue chip prospect RHD plus a promising 3rd C (not the best defensively at this point but could be worked on, especially when he came into the league with a two-way reputation).

Edit: would also take Siegenthaler OR Graves in place of Mercer.

Edited by Phil_314

Sounds like the asking price for Bo is a young player, prospect and pick. Chychrun's asking price was once 4 players, now down to 3 I believe. I think Hughes would be worth a top player, top prospect and 1st at the very least, then probably some garbage (3rd pick or something). No player is worth dismantling your team like that though. I'd like to think someone like say Hedman or Makar in their prime is worth the equivalent of, I dunno, 4 firsts? Probably the same for McDavid. 

Even then, if you had say 4 mid-round firsts, say 1 of them is a bust, 1 is an average top-6 forward, 1 is a top-4 defenceman and 1 is a star, you've got more value to a team than McDavid.

These monster trades just don't make sense for the receiving team. For Hughes to NJD for example, that'd be something like Nemec + Holtz + 1st. No way they give up more. Nemec is likely going to be a star, maybe better than Hughes. Holz is already a decent player and that 1st could be 30% a bust, 40% a top-6/top-4 player, and maybe 30% a star.

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yeah, I think Hughes is greater than Nemec at this point, but by how much? Certainly not as Much as the Poster suggests...........

Maybe Nemec and McLeod

Something along those lines..........

Maybe add a little for the rarity of 3 brothers playing on the same team, but that would be it, I think?????

I'm sure @Provostagrees, but its the lure of having the 3 brothers playing together, as well as having the ability to perhaps keep their cap hit manageable, if they want to stay together... 

Should milk it, if it ever came to this...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

To New Jersey: Hughes, Schenn, and a 4th

To Vancouver: Siegenthaler, Sharangovich, Foote/Stillman, and a first.

This trade might look underwhelming, but Siegenthaler is probably one of New Jersey’s best defensive defensemen on their roster. Siegenthaler is also sign to a very team friendly deal for 6 more years.

Sharangovich can be inconsistent with his offence, but he’s still on pace for another 20 goals season, playing little-to-none PP minutes/top 6 minutes. I’m a firmly believer that Sharangovich can breakout given the opportunity, much like what’s Zacha is doing in Boston.

Edited by shiznak

58 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'm sure @Provostagrees, but its the lure of having the 3 brothers playing together, as well as having the ability to perhaps keep their cap hit manageable, if they want to stay together... 

Should milk it, if it ever came to this...

I think the people who mention it as a “gimmick” are missing the VERY significant component of how this would make it easier to re-sign all three of these guys.  It almost becomes a family business and legacy thing for the Hughes.  They all come up as UFAs at different times so they can’t leverage you all together and know they would have to stay at a discount to play together, much like the Sedins were a package.

This isn’t a gimmick… it is a strategy to keep a contending window open for a few more years.  I think they will be contenders in the not too distant future and cap implications are the only thing that is likely to close thar window in the next decade.  A love like this drastically helps extend that window.

I also think that people here have gotten so used to a bad team that they forget good teams have great players pushed lower in the lineup.  Adding Quinn doesn’t block Luke.  It means you can spread out minutes amongst three legitimate D pairings like we were in 2011.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1