The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

According to Cap Friendly, We would only have to move Boeser:  Assuming that Poolman, Pearson and Demko are back from their injuries and that we sign both Bear and Hogs to modest raises.  I may be a bit off on the calcs so feel free to critique.

image.png.4f1b3f6fa78ec952dc6b48b1213360b5.png

Yeah, I included Myers as well to give the team greater cap flexibility.  We could probably retain $2M on Myers and move him quite easily with plenty of cap space remaining.  Brock and Myers are they key to re-signing Bo (if that's what management wants to do).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Im pretty sure looking at the last 8.5 years of management decisions any number of people here could do a comparable job of spending to the cap and drafting in the top 10 consistently 

yeah... we would do just as bad.... and then probably would make even worse decisions and be fired the day after trade deadline

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

May very well. But then we're getting back in to bringing back the exact same team that's looked like shite, not addressing the prospect pool, etc, etc.

Nope.

Yup.  Feel free to go through all the teams on CapFriendly.  7D is the norm.

8 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

1000%; my exact thoughts. Its not about individual signings anymore, its about how they fit into or inhibit a rebuild; this isn't a simple retool.

… and the question is, are we likely to be good or contend in the next two years for this contract?

If not, then are we better off at the end of the two years with a 29 year old expiring Kuzmenko contract who is a UFA and helped us score a little more while still not being a playoff team, or some blue chip prospect/high pick still under club control that we could have gotten for him in return?

If management has some more aces up their sleeves for moving out $10-15 million in cap to make room to fix a dreadful defence… that by all means do it.  We could be a much better team with two top four D that complement Hughes and OEL, we haven’t been able to do any of that to date.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

36 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I wouldn’t retain. But, I would wait till Trade Deadline to move him in order to maximize the return. 

Dallas is one team who really wants and needs a 2RW. If they get priced out on other guys and just want to essentially swap out their dead cap for boeser I hope we are all over it. Khudobin +  so the money works. I also do not want to retain anything but I'll gladly take back expiring dead weight 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

It is hard to be mad at this signing. It's great cap. It's great term. Makes him incredibly easy to move and valuable if we wanted to move him.

But it's hard not to be a little frustrated looking at this management group looking at our core and saying well, it hasn't worked for 5 years. So let's try doing the same thing and hope for a different result. Kuzmenko was found money and as such was an incredibly valuable trade asset.

It's more and more apparent that management is just going to to do what Benning did and tinker and hope for the best while managing to barely stay mediocre 

I'm not giving up on them yet, but I'm hanging off the cliff by my fingernails; TDL cannot come soon enough.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup.  Feel free to go through all the teams on CapFriendly.  7D is the norm.

No, it isn't.

A bunch of teams may have injuries right now (and a lack of bodies and/or cap space to accommodate replacements) but when building out starting rosters in the fall, most teams go 13F, 8 D. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I included Myers as well to give the team greater cap flexibility.  We could probably retain $2M on Myers and move him quite easily with plenty of cap space remaining.  Brock and Myers are they key to re-signing Bo (if that's what management wants to do).

the more i look at it, the more i realize we are doomed next year....

10 million cap to replace boeser, myers, bear, schenn and horvat

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

… and the question is, are we likely to be good or contend in the next two years for this contract?

If not, then are we better off at the end of the two years with a 29 year old expiring Kuzmenko contract who is a UFA and helped us score a little more while still not being a playoff team, or some blue chip prospect/high pick still under club control that we could have gotten for him in return?

If management has some more aces up their sleeves for moving out $10-15 million in cap to make room to fix a dreadful defence… that by all means do it.  We could be a much better team with two top four D that complement Hughes and OEL, we haven’t been able to do any of that to date.

If he helps us, even a little, to extend Petey this summer, it will be more than worth it.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

$100 says be scores 30 in his first full season wherever he ends up. 

I agree he probably would. He's a total floater who only benefits from other guys efforts. Well we don't really even have the guys to do that and set him up for success...  So on a good teams that's the perfect roll for him. Plus it's a MASSIVE addition by subtraction for us. Win win 

7 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

yeah... we would do just as bad.... and then probably would make even worse decisions and be fired the day after trade deadline

Actually if you look at much if our consensus takes on signings, draft picks etc.  We'd have universally done an equal or better job 

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I'm not giving up on them yet, but I'm hanging off the cliff by my fingernails; TDL cannot come soon enough.

As long as they don't start buying out players as opposed of retaining on them then it may actually not be too bad. But I'm still white knuckling things right now

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1