The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doesn't have to be a non playoff team.  Could be a playoff team with a young RHD waiting in the wings.  It's a decent 1st rounder ... not like it's a late one.

Or maybe we use that pick as an addition to ours (say 14 + 8) to move up to get Carlsson?  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I looked around but nobody stood out.  It would have to be a non playoff team similar to Montreal trading Romanov.  Just not sure who that team would be and what player we would target...

You're better off drafting one than waiting for one. Drafting one would probably be faster.

Nobody is trading those types of RD.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Absolutely 

And see if Myers can be traded. Garland too. Not a fan of trading a great example of a veteran like Schenn though. 

Dan Murphy? Traded. 
Tiny Drancer? Traded. 
Give Fin another chance to earn a spot going forward but remind him that the future remains unwritten and that Grizz is eyeing a comeback. 

Lol, the market on media personalities has never been good.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I didn't see it didn't have any aggression in it, I said the game has changed but go off I guess? :unsure:

Enforcers don't exist, players don't fight as much, hits that were once permitted officially aren't allowed anymore. The NHL is more likely to hand out suspensions even if what the disciplinary whatever is inconsistent regarding punishment. Players have to be able to do more than throw hands. As a whole the NHL game doesn't remotely resemble what it used to be as far as aggression and toughness go. 

Pushback looks different, you see more scrums and sometimes guys will jump in. But jumping in doesn't always look like a fight though, oftentimes it's just players beaking off. 

They even talk about it in Ice Guardians.......once they put in the instigator rule, those days were gone.  Truthfully, and I hate to say it, the league has been more effective at getting rid of dirty plays than enforcers ever were.

Just now, Alflives said:

Or maybe we use that pick as an addition to ours (say 14 + 8) to move up to get Carlsson?  

I wouldn't do that.  We could really use a RHD with that NYI pick.

Here's a crazy one that NYR might actually think about...

To VAN:

Braden Schneider

To NYR:

Luke Schenn

NYI 1st

I like the fact that Schneider is NHL tested already.  Any RHD we draft would be years of development.

• Like 3

If we tank a bit more, we’re gonna have a great time at the draft and end up with a pretty stacked set of prospects.

I’m starting to feel that management said “retool” as lip service to FA, but they’re actually doing the rebuild we all want. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Spartancanuck said:

What a joke. This organization has no idea. Unfortunately they can't rely on tanking for Sid and Malkin. 

Signed Miller and traded Horvat. 

Fires Boudreau. 

Makes a soft team softer. 

I'm done with this version of the Canucks. Hope Horvat lights them up. 

Im pissed we lost bo too but we got good players for him. Beauvillier still has tons more to offer.  Really skilled player. Raty is going to be a legit top 6 player.  He will give van a solid 1-2 punch.  Not to mention a pick that could end up being high

Just now, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Braden Schneider

To NYR:

Luke Schenn

NYI 1st

I like the fact that Schneider is NHL tested already.  Any RHD we draft would be years of development.

No dice, keep the pick, draft Axel 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

C'mon, that's a sh!t deal for your captain and top 5 goal scorer in the league.  At least bring back a dman of some kind, even as the cap dump.  A small winger who doesn't score?

Cousin Eddie Battle GIF

There are few things more disingenuous than calling Horvat a “top-5 goal scorer”.

For one, even on his insane heater, he’s currently 8th in goals. Secondly, he was around 40th the last two seasons.

Bo’s an elite SECOND LINE CENTRE. Even on our terrible team he’s not the top dog. The package we got was pretty decent, all things considered.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They even talk about it in Ice Guardians.......once they put in the instigator rule, those days were gone.  Truthfully, and I hate to say it, the league has been more effective at getting rid of dirty plays than enforcers ever were.

The instigator was a big one because suddenly engaging in that old school rough and tumble could lose you games 

Just now, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Braden Schneider

To NYR:

Luke Schenn

NYI 1st

Schneider worth more.  Cant see ny giving him up.  

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I didn't say it didn't have any aggression in it, I said the game has changed but go off I guess? :unsure:

Enforcers don't exist, players don't fight as much, hits that were once permitted officially aren't allowed anymore. The NHL is more likely to hand out suspensions even if what the disciplinary whatever is inconsistent regarding punishment. Players have to be able to do more than throw hands. As a whole the NHL game doesn't remotely resemble what it used to be as far as aggression and toughness go. 

Pushback looks different, you see more scrums and sometimes guys will jump in. But jumping in doesn't always look like a fight though, oftentimes it's just players beaking off. 

They just traded the player that was toughest to play against. 

Stood up for teammates, drove the net, dropped the mitts if needed. 

I remember a team rag dolling Hoglander after the whistle. Ref watched and did nothing. The rest of the line just skated off. Only Bo went to have his back. That's a soft team. In every way. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't the point to clear cap space?  They could have used it at the tdl to take other teams garbage and stock up on picks or get another prospect.  Now they can't and they won't be able to use it at the draft either, or UFA.......for a winger.  If it were a dman, I'd be fine with it

I think, they may have accepted, it'll take one more year to clear some of the contracts like Myers, Pearson etc. AB is in the same boat. 
Flip them at next years TDL for picks/Prospects and suddenly they have an ocean of cap space despite EPs extension...

Now with a bit of lottery luck we may even have a good player entering on an ELC in a year as well, and suddenly we could have the foundation for a good team built. 

Here's hoping at least....

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

He had 34 points last year and on pace for that this year.  Remind me why they need a small, over priced winger again?  Are they short on those?

Lou has been trying to.deal that contract for awhile and couldn't.........until PA came along.

Weren't you arguing for roster players? Told you so lol. I like Raty and the first. Take the 15% chance that guy is awesome and the %35 chance he's a good NHLer. Way better than whatever crap you hoped to get back. Make enough good moves and all of the sudden you have a legitimate team. 

• There it is 1