The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

:lol: All the news seems to be that Lou got VAN to retain 25%. Like he robbed us or something. What does that work out to, just under $700K?  Not a big deal folks.

As it is, the Canucks now have $3.5 in cap space. 

Will Raty play in Abbotsford? 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I have no problem with it being protected this year, if it slips to 2024, it becomes unprotected and the Islanders just sacrificed depth for the now. There's a good chance if they falter, we could get better position next season. Look what happened to Ottawa a few years ago.

And if the Isles get into the playoffs next year, go on a run and that pick turns into mid 20's?  I could see top 5 protected, but top 12?  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

And I actually though Lek played well when he got a chance in the wjhc........that was coaching, imo.  

I'm aware he hasn't gone on to light it up this year but he's battled mono and had his ups and downs

Give him the rest of the season, a long summer or training and recovery, and consider bringing him over in some capacity and I think folks will change their tune 

He's got quite a bit of raw skill, he's just likely more of a prospect who'll need to stew and develop for a while while getting stronger

• Cheers 1

Just now, Petey40 said:

I don’t think Canucks could get the #1 pick unless they traded Pettersson Hughes and both their first round picks. His value at this draft is what mcdavids was at his draft. 

Agree. No way the nucks getting Bedard. It would be surprising if he’s not lighting up the nucks in a Chicago jersey next year.

1 hour ago, Darius said:

ok so a 25 year old LW that has never put up more than 40 points and a center prospect that may or may not pan out.  

So basically Bo for a first.

Still the worst D in the conference.

These guys know what they are doing right?

Raty is going to be a productive top six center for the Canucks. He was the Isles best prospect.

The pick if its this year goes in the teens likely which weird is exactly where you can expect the top defense in this draft to start going. 

Just now, ktcy2 said:

So what happens if NYI picks 12? The draft picks becomes next year’s first? 

Yes.  Anything from picks 1-12 for the NYI and they keep the pick.  13th and later is ours.  Should the Islanders draft 1st through 12th we then own their unprotected 2024 1st round pick

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm aware he hasn't gone on to light it up this year but he's battled mono and had his ups and downs

Give him the rest of the season, a long summer or training and recovery, and consider bringing him over in some capacity and I think folks will change their tune 

He's got quite a bit of raw skill, he's just likely more of a prospect who'll need to stew and develop for a while while getting stronger

I really don't have an issue with the pick, kid probably has the best shot in the draft

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

AB is 25, fair to say he's past "prospect" phase.  34 points past year, on pace for about the same this year.

Horvat is a 60 point player,  perpetually at that. Keep in mind that Bo will hover around 30 goal/30 assist mark forever that is his true value.

AB at 25 is a few years younger and at a 50% cheaper cap rate for about 50% less points. The key here is while the points production is 50% less, so is the cap so its fair. 
Think about it, you have to be a smart fan with a keen analytical mind set to  understand how valuable this trade truly is. 

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

It wasn't any more of contract year for Miller than it was for Bo last year. Both had one year remaining on their deals. They could have waited on Miller until midway through this season. But the same could be said of Bo who is "playing out of his socks" in his actual contract year. Personally I still think Miller is the better overall player and will likely remain better well into his 30's. 

Miller is the better offensive player and has the tools that Bo don’t have. 

But he flat out gives up on plays far too often. If he can correct his emotional outrage, I think you are right. 

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Definitely a cultural change.  

No more country club. 

I don't think Bo was the reason for the problem of the culture but changes need to be made and they certainly can't stop here. We need about another 2 roster moves minimum to change this culture.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lou can give him 8 years.  But I feel for Horvat trying to get maximum value with Lou.  I doubt he gets an 8x8 deal with Lou.  If Barzal is at $9.15 million, then I can see Lou going in at 7x8, maybe max 7.5x8.  7.5 would make BO their #2 highest earner behind Barzal.

If he goes UFA maybe someone offers him 8x7 or 8.5x7.

The other thing to consider is that the Islanders play a tight defensive system.  So BO's numbers should go down for the rest of the year.  I doubt he hits 50 goals now.  Maybe 40-45 goals will be the max for him this year.

8 years in Brooklyn/ Bronx , is not 8 years on the west coast with his kids.