The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Sol although I don't think we would, or should trade Hughes, IF New Jersey came to the Canucks with an offer like:

To NJ:

Hughes

Boeser 1 million retained

To Vancouver:

2023 1st

2024 1st unprotected (not that I think they would need to)

2025 2nd

Nemec

Holtz

Siegenthaler

I would have to at least stop and ponder a defense of:

OEL / Nemec

Siegenthaler / Bear

Dermott / Burroughs / Schenn (assuming we bring him back)

OEL has been pretty good when he's required to be #1LD

Trading Hughes would be the equivalent of probably trading Chychrun (you could argue Quinn's PPG offence, but Chychrun is better physically, although not by much). Last year Arizona were asking for 4 pieces, now it sounds like they're just asking for a decent young player + 1st + A-grade prospect.

No player apart from maybe McDavid is really worth 4 great players.

Quinn is worth a good young player, 1st (although that's a very low first from NJD so take that into account) and A-grade prospect.

Nemec, Bahl and a 1st sounds like a haul but Nemec is unproven, Bahl is basially playing bare minimum 6D minutes despite being young and that 1st may well be a 30-32OA. Then again, Nemec may become the best player of the bunch and better than Hughes. It's a big gamble. 

With Petey on board, there's no point trading Hughes - their ages align perfectly. If we're trading Hughes to rebuild this team, we might as well trade Pettersson too and really bomb this team for picks. If that's the case then sure, I'd trade Hughes for Nemec + 1st + Bahl/Mercer/Holtz etc. We can basically assume we're not going to try for the playoffs for 3-5 years.

Then we've got to move Petey, trading a 100pt young star center may be getting into 4 decent pieces...

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You won't get some crazy haul for Hughes.  Quinn is an excellent defenceman, but a team is not giving up 5 or 6 assets for him. 

I think any package starts with Nemec and a 1st.

Then you add in a roster player, and MAYBE a smaller add-on (B prospect or 2nd round pick)

So...

Nemec

Wood

1st

2nd

or to make room on the LHD...

Nemec

Siegenthaler

1st

These proposals of Nemec + another top tier prospect + 1st + good roster player would never happen.  Nemec is worth so much that I don't even think NJ would move him for Hughes.

I agree so many of these Canuck fans on this forum have no idea how good Nemec  and Mercer are....

To your point if Canucks received,  Nemec 18 RD -- Mercer 21 W--- 1st rounder in 2023 - 2nd rounder 2024,  Hockey experts would say Canucks did fantastic with Hughes trade

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I gotta disagree HKSR

If you win a cup and then a losing season right after, they will still tar and feather the coach, and GM...........fans have a short memory span, IMHO

If they have a losing season right after, that means the players are failing on the ice.  In which case, nobody would care if there are 3 brothers on the team.  In fact, they'd probably blame them.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Maybe. But this is big business. Simulators are run, consultants are talked to. If the Devils think having all three Hughes, Americans will drive up revenues, they will pay up. If they offer up a deal you can't refuse, you need to seriously consider it.

Well of  course.  Like JR/PA said, nobody is really untouchable on this team.  If somebody offers a haul for any of our players, we need to look at it from a value perspective.  Building value and building assets is what we need to do more than anything else.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Win Cup = WAY, WAY more revenue than having 3 brothers with the same last name.

I think the idea is to entice NJ to imagine what the possibilities would be by winning the cup WITH the 3 brothers, and that's what makes them pay more than perhaps they would for a dman of that calibre not named Hughes. 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think most people here understand that the actual offer New Jersey would make in this hypothetical is likely different than what Quinn’s worth. It’s hard to imagine a player of his age, position, and caliber being traded while locked up longer term on a very efficient AAV. 

Considering those factors, if I were GMPA it’s going to take Nemec, Mercer, Holtz, and an unprotected first rounder before I consider the trade. I still think it’s arguably not enough for Quinn and I’m fairly confident New Jersey wouldn’t want to pay this much. They can both be true. 

Yeah, very true.  Although I think if NJD offered Nemec, Siegenthaler, and a 1st, I would REALLY be intrigued. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

I think the idea is to entice NJ to imagine what the possibilities would be by winning the cup WITH the 3 brothers, and that's what makes them pay more than perhaps they would for a dman of that calibre not named Hughes. 

Yeah, but they also don't need Quinn to be a bonafide contender.  Let's face it, if Luke and Nemec pan out, they are absolutely stacked beyond belief on that blue line.  They don't need Quinn at all.

To me, it would depend on what we get back. I'm thinking we're not in a hurry at this point to be good.

Hughes obviously is an important piece for us, but if we commit highway robbery because he's that important to us and we get a better team overall from it... that's not exactly a bad thing.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think most people here understand that the actual offer New Jersey would make in this hypothetical is likely different than what Quinn’s worth. It’s hard to imagine a player of his age, position, and caliber being traded while locked up longer term on a very efficient AAV. 

Considering those factors, if I were GMPA it’s going to take Nemec, Mercer, Holtz, and an unprotected first rounder before I consider the trade. I still think it’s arguably not enough for Quinn and I’m fairly confident New Jersey wouldn’t want to pay this much. They can both be true. 

nemec, mercer and a first works for me......and maybe a cap dump expiring deal like severson.  That's more than good value for Hughes in my books

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I disagree.  Winning Cups is the ultimate marketing tool. 

If you think having 4 Sutters on one team, or multiple Stromes, or Staals generates more revenue than a Stanley Cup win, you are delusional lol

Ok

The Canucks haven’t won a cup.

Why did the Canucks value rise so much during the Sedins years?

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, but they also don't need Quinn to be a bonafide contender.  Let's face it, if Luke and Nemec pan out, they are absolutely stacked beyond belief on that blue line.  They don't need Quinn at all.

There's the rub, 'if' they pan out.  And while I'm sure Nemec will (although I do get why others feel a bird in the hand is better than in the bush so to speak), we KNOW that Huggy is already a star.  That would not only make them legitimate contenders sooner than waiting to see if these guys pan out, but it would allow them to market their team in a way no NHL team (dare I say no pro sports team in NA) can right now.  What that's worth to NJ is anyone's guess?  

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1