The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

kacholu

1 hour ago, Toews said:

NTC and NMCs can be waived. Teams just have to work with players in order to make sure that the players go to a destination of their choice and the team gets adequate compensation. The Canucks did manage to trade quite a few players like Garrison, Bieksa, Burrows, Hansen etc. who all had clauses in their contracts. Then there was a guy like Vrbata who said that if the Canucks had approached him at the start of the season he would have been much more amenable to a trade. Benning also rejected the offer of the Sharks 9th overall pick in exchange for Miller. I do feel like the owner was strongly in the way of any attempt to rebuild so we weren't able to maximize the return for players that were still desirable at the time. Had we been willing to retain and move guys at the right time we would have been able to bank picks like much of the smarter GMs have been able to accomplish in the cap era.

I don't see what this has to do with our discussion. I am a glass half full kind of guy, that run was still incredible and the team came one game of reaching their ultimate goal. I don't consider that a failure by any means even if that team fell short.

I don't disagree with you and I did include that in my post the caveat about ownership. It was still an ultimately a stupid and short-sighted plan that has cost this franchise dearly. Benning still chose to go along with the stupidity and chose not to push back at all. Even Nonis who most people nicknamed No-nuts stood up to Aquilini's demand to trade for Richards. Its sad how much of an enabler Benning was. 

The Canucks have never had problem retaining talent. Kesler wanted to leave because he wanted to win a Cup and Bo left because we weren't able to meet his price. We aren't Columbus, Arizona, Buffalo, where players are demanding trades left and right. We didn't need to be a destination for free agents when we could have just drafted our own talent. Free agents do come when they see a good opportunity. Gillis signed Hamhuis in free agency who spurned the Flyers and Penguins to come play here. No one in their right mind would do that with the current edition of the Canucks. As they say build it and they will come.

I don't believe for a second that we have the worst fans. I also disagree with you that the fans are interested in a one and done. From what I have seen there are a lot of Canucks fans who are passionate, knowledgeable and can see through the BS that this franchise has put us through. Its the franchise and this ownership group that seems to be interested in mediocrity so that they can put butts in seats. That's why they hire enablers who will accomplish that task. Benning could have easily done more but he was content keeping a cushy job that paid him a decent salary to be a sycophant. 8 years later the roster has some terrible contracts, a few good pieces that we drafted with high picks and a prospect pool that most publications have close to the bottom of the league. You maybe able to give Benning a pass for all of that but I am not.

Ok so YOU put yourself in his place, I'm the same circumstances as him and tell me what you'd do, and you can't get around all the things he couldn't because of MG's plans. 

Did JB do everything right? Of course not but no GM in history has plus we lost so much cap space with covid especially when we needed it as much as, if not more right at the most important time in franchise history on top of it all but let's hear how you would have done.

I've done this before and never once have I gotten a answer but maybe you'll surprise me by at least trying.

And fans? Omfg that's hilarious!! 2 points on that one, first they fall for what the media tells them and primarily without fact checking

Second, a frackin riot? Over a game ffs? I can't even fathom that... One can argue it was all fans and id agree with that to some point but there were a LOT of jerseys along with regular clothed people, and break that down by a fan is someone more than a hockey jersey but that still leaves fans losing their chit over us losing.. 

And any notion of pushing the envelope of buying a roster without depth? And expect some different outcome? That's funny! 

Interesting article in the Province

Following the Kravtsov trade, the #Canucks have officially zero players remaining from the notorious2016draft: 

— Jawn Jang (장재현) (@jawnjang) February 25, 2023

Despite offers to trade back, GM Jim Benning didn’t and drafted a defenceman well above slot, who he had come to covet based off a fine performance at the World Juniors. Juolevi was seen as a decent prospect, but not a guy to draft fifth overall.

He would have been available further back in the first round and there were offers from teams below the Canucks that would have been worth taking with Benning so set on drafting Juolevi.

Lockwood was a solid choice but injuries slowed him in college, so it’s impressive he rebuilt his game enough to get some NHL games in.

But in the end, the Canucks got just 69 games out of this draft. !!!

And the keys were truly handed over to Judd Brackett, leading to the focused process that first landed Elias Pettersson in the first round and led to four other players at least playing NHL games.

Jonah Gadjovich looks to be the second full-time NHLer out of that draft, which is the minimum you want out of a draft class. There’s till a chance Kole Lind turns into something, though like Lockwood he hasn’t shown enough in the NHL to truly suggest he deserves many more chances.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting article in the Province

And then Benning was able to get our owner to move out Linden and then he himself moved out Bracket. Benning’s fatal flaw was his arrogance about his scouting and drafting talents. He believed (likely still does) that he could out draft all the other teams with fewer high picks. And that he could watch a prospect for a weekend and know more about his potential than scouts who had been watching the same player for several years. Benning seemed like a nice person, but maybe he had a nasty side too, especially when it came to his personal views of his scouting? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And then Benning was able to get our owner to move out Linden and then he himself moved out Bracket. Benning’s fatal flaw was his arrogance about his scouting and drafting talents. He believed (likely still does) that he could out draft all the other teams with fewer high picks. And that he could watch a prospect for a weekend and know more about his potential than scouts who had been watching the same player for several years. Benning seemed like a nice person, but maybe he had a nasty side too, especially when it came to his personal views of his scouting? 

I tend to think he was a bit of a one man band. He idn't like some one like Gilman playing the part of the devils advoctae. It was him and Weisbrough and the rest were just dressing. Turns out as you suggested his scouting views were mainly of his own making. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think he was a bit of a one man band. He idn't like some one like Gilman playing the part of the devils advoctae. It was him and Weisbrough and the rest were just dressing. Turns out as you suggested his scouting views were mainly of his own making. 

Jim Benning doing a pretty good Jackson 5 imitation!:

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Every person has a nasty side and JB seems to had directed it, at the wrong places.. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I got this description of Jim Benning from Chat.Ai

Jim Benning is the current general manager of the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was hired by the team in May 2014, and has been in the role ever since.

During his tenure as GM, Benning has overseen a number of significant moves for the Canucks, including the drafting of top prospects like Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes, and the signing of key free agents like Tyler Myers and JT Miller. He has also made several trades, including the blockbuster deal that brought in Oliver Ekman-Larsson from the Arizona Coyotes in July 2021.

However, Benning's tenure has also been marked by some controversy and criticism. The Canucks have struggled to make the playoffs in recent years, and there have been questions about some of the team's contracts and roster decisions. In particular, the six-year, $36 million contract extension given to Loui Eriksson in 2016 has been widely criticized as a misstep.

Overall, opinions on Benning's performance as GM are mixed. Some fans and analysts see him as a competent executive who has made some smart moves to build the team for the future, while others believe that he has made too many mistakes and should be replaced.

Edited by iinatcc

On 2/24/2023 at 8:47 PM, iceman64 said:

Ok so YOU put yourself in his place, I'm the same circumstances as him and tell me what you'd do, and you can't get around all the things he couldn't because of MG's plans. 

Did JB do everything right? Of course not but no GM in history has plus we lost so much cap space with covid especially when we needed it as much as, if not more right at the most important time in franchise history on top of it all but let's hear how you would have done.

I've done this before and never once have I gotten a answer but maybe you'll surprise me by at least trying.

And fans? Omfg that's hilarious!! 2 points on that one, first they fall for what the media tells them and primarily without fact checking

Second, a frackin riot? Over a game ffs? I can't even fathom that... One can argue it was all fans and id agree with that to some point but there were a LOT of jerseys along with regular clothed people, and break that down by a fan is someone more than a hockey jersey but that still leaves fans losing their chit over us losing.. 

And any notion of pushing the envelope of buying a roster without depth? And expect some different outcome? That's funny! 

JB not only drove this franchise into the muck but he put his heel on it and squished it back and forth while pressing as hard as he could to rub it into the dirt.     Undoubtedly the 2nd worst GM in entire franchise history - without dispute from any "Normal" person. 

If theRE were laws against what did to ruin this franchise, he would have been put on a barge in English bay and pushed out to sea!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

JB not only drove this franchise into the muck but he put his heel on it and squished it back and forth while pressing as hard as he could to rub it into the dirt.     Undoubtedly the 2nd worst GM in entire franchise history - without dispute from any "Normal" person. 

If their were laws against what did to ruin this franchise, he would have been put on a barge in English bay and pushed out to sea!

When I stop laughing about the normal person part I might ask that by that complete paragraph what the f do you judge normal by?

Normal as in never having a clue about hockey and everything around it like contract law, actually development when your actually left something to develop?!

I can go on if you like.. normal as in simple minded and unable to grasp the big picture of how something was in the past, recent past, not just the present? 

If that's normal to you, I'd have to agree.. these days those "normal people" are too lazy or stupid to question anything their told and if you want examples of that as it pertains to this franchise, I'd be more than happy to explain it to you. 

And after that i'd ask if it's anything new here in Vancouver and a real normal person would be forced by logic to say no..

You really surprise me time after time responding to things without taking any of the circumstances surrounding it into account but that's the normal you pointed out isn't it? 

Anddddd one more thing, if you have the balls to answer and be specific about it, your JB in 2012, your tasked with a roster that's full of NMC's and NTC's for years into the future, nothing in the pipeline and draft picks traded away for the roster pieces your stuck with. 

Owner says keep people in the arena so there's money coming in and completely rebuild the team according to contract law, tell me Mr r u serious, how exactly would YOU do it or are you another one of quite a few idiots who have no answer for it and just keep going on about it and looking like a complete fool forsaking any thoughts whatsoever about what happens off the ice that has the biggest impact on the ice.. 

So it's either a reply of.. yeah maybe I never took that into consideration of what that would have been like enough or a reply of what you would have done in his spot.

And if you think for a minute any GM in his position handed that kind of handicap to start off with, you'd be just that stupid, no GM out there can get around the CBA and get away with it, it simply not possible but if for some reason you think you could have, I'd be all ears to hear how! 

Edited by iceman64

On 2/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, Alflives said:

I think you nailed it.  It was Benning's arrogance that did him in.  The Smartest Man in the Room syndrome. His gosh shucks personality masked it well.  Anyone who dared embarrass him by sounding more logical, more prudent, more realistic than he was, or upstaged him like Brackett, was fired. And one of the biggest example of the arrogance was his belief that he was such a great draft genius, he didn't need prospects from past the first round to try and develop. They were basically useless.  coughDatsyukcough No good players are found past that, in his opinion, so he could deplete the farm of anyone but his sure bet top picks like Virtanen and Joulevi. The two top ten picks he reportedly insisted on.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/jim-benning-wont-trade-draft-picks-but-also-downplayed-acquiring-them-3092735

There was one quote, however, that had some fans sit up and take notice.

“The numbers speak for themselves if you go over the history of the draft,” said Benning. “If you’re looking at the top five picks, they have a chance more often than not to become impact players over time. But if you look at the bottom five picks in the first round, some of those guys don’t even play.”

Even the bottom five of the first round were not valued much. JB had zero comprehension that the more picks you acquire, the better chance to at the very least fill your bottom 6 needs in-house, and more chances that you find a Demko in the second round for instance.

I think Jason Botchford deserves a posthumous apology for being ridiculed for screaming about how wrong headed Benning was managing the team back then and how what we really needed was an army! (of picks)

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

JB gets a lot of flack which is well deserved mostly but me thinks he deserves a lil' slack on OEL and Loui Eriksson, I have a hunch that the Sedins had a lot to do with them becoming Canucks.

Well, he's the GM, the buck stops with him.  So no, I don't give him any slack for that. The Sedins are not pro scouts.

But I too am uneasy about their influence on management.  And you are probably right that they pushed for Eriksson and for OEL.  Trying to get their fellow countrymen jobs. Quiet, well mannered Swedes mailing it in, need only apply. Just what we need more of.

3 hours ago, Canuck You said:

JB gets a lot of flack which is well deserved mostly but me thinks he deserves a lil' slack on OEL and Loui Eriksson, I have a hunch that the Sedins had a lot to do with them becoming Canucks.

The Sedin's convinced Benning to add the 2nd round pick to get the trade over line because of how high they were on OEL - Benning said this himself a 650 interview immediately after the trade. Also - here is a snippet of what they said about OEL:

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

The Sedin's convinced Benning to add the 2nd round pick to get the trade over line because of how high they were on OEL - Benning said this himself a 650 interview immediately after the trade. Also - here is a snippet of what they said about OEL:

Well good thing those two are coaches now instead of any where close to personnel decisions. Though they would fit right in with current management. 

On 2/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Somewhere out there, he's still saying the Canucks are a couple of 24 year olds and a season away from winning the Cup. 

Thanks for jinxing us. 

Anything else we need? We still got a 1st rounder to trade away