The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

Can someone explain to my why NYR did this trade. It seems like a great trade for the Canucks but what were the Rangers thinking. People have said that NYR need to shed cap space to accommodate a Kane trade, but Kratsov is on league minimum and not likely to get more next year. Have I missed something 

Makes me wonder what we see going forward, we've got a glut of wingers.

Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Joshua, Lazar, Studnicka, and now Kravtsov. Some centers playing wing.

Pearson and Mikheyev on LTIR, both who have term, a Hoglander who'll be waivers exempt sooner than later. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, HKSR said:

Well, he definitely has a ton of talent and a very good release with his shot.  Just needs the right chemistry with an elite play driver cuz I don't see this kid winning a ton of puck battles lol

Charmin soft. For the kind of hockey I enjoy, this is not the type of player I’d choose to have on my team. I’m working on putting my trust in Rutherford/Allvin but its a slow process, lol.

Just now, Coconuts said:

Makes me wonder what we see going forward, we've got a glut of wingers.

Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Joshua, Studnicka, and now Kravtsov. Some centers playing wing.

Pearson and Mikheyev on LTIR, both who have term, a Hoglander who'll be waivers exempt sooner than later. 

We probably plan on moving some more guys out at forward. 

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I always felt WL would not have a lengthy career since he plays with reckless abandonment and has neither the body frame nor the actual hockey sense to survive a career playing like that.  Nothing against his will,  determination or work  ethic. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't say nothing.  Lockwood was quickly becoming a legit goal scorer at the AHL level.  Who knows if that translates, but ge wasn't nothing.  I'd say, as far as real life is concerned, Lockwood has shown almost as much as Krav has 

He might have good numbers in Abby (18 points in 26 games) but after this season he is waiver eligible. If he didn’t make the team out of training camp next year, good chance he gets claimed for nothing. So it’s still a good gamble IMO. If he becomes an everyday NHL 4th liner I’ll come back and say I was wrong, that said for the here and now, we got the best player in the trade and that’s a win. The 7th won’t be the next Pavel Datsyuk so while it’s not nothing, it’s not going to burn us either. Kravtsov requires waivers as well but has far better upside and 6 points in 28 games this season which is better then Lockwoods career total 1 assist in 28 career games. It is for sure a worthwhile gamble and trade. 

Again if Lockwood becomes the next Tyler Motte I’ll buy you a brew and eat some crow.

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Can’t take responsibility from the player either. Some just don’t possess the inner fire. Do get some Juolevi vibes with ol’ Vitali here. Hope I dead wrong on this.

of course its on him too, but it sounds like he was looking for communication and didnt really get it in NY.  If there is one thing PA has done well wince arriving in VAN is improving player development.  I think VK will get all the tools/support he needs in VAN-rest will be up to him now. 

5 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

So it sounds like player development was one of VK’s concerns w NYR.  

New York Rangers are the New York Yankees of the NHL. They don't do much in terms of drafting and developing. They just buy the players they need to be relevant. They drafted a single dude in their top 6 forwards, Kreider. Lol. Fox and Trouba? Trade. The only player in their top 4 D that they drafted was K'andre Miller. Imagine having 2 top 3 picks, and both are on your 3rd line. That's wild to me.

Benning type move: acquiring an underperforming player with a draft pedigree.  Concerns: he will be looking for a new deal, he is not honing his skill in the AHL and he has more size than Lockwood but he seems like a player, that is easy to play against vs Lockwood. 

Atleast, a 2nd round isn't going the other way but I would still had preferred Lockwood cause the NHL roster is already full of talented and SOFT players.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, Coconuts said:

Likely. But who, how, and for what? 

Gonna be interesting. 

Given that this guy is cheap and his next contract will be cheap. As will Raty, Pod, Hog and etc..

Might see some retention with a guy like Boeser or what not. Might be wanting to load up on young cheap players in preparation for that. 

Maybe off-chance for buyouts but I hope not. Rather wait it out. 

Management keeping their cards close but that’s what I believe may be their mindset. 

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Charmin soft. For the kind of hockey I enjoy, this is not the type of player I’d choose to have on my team. I’m working on putting my trust in Rutherford/Allvin but its a slow process, lol.

Lol, I think we all are.  Until we see results on the ice from the moves this TDL and offseason, I don't think any of us will fully trust JR/PA.

• Tanks a lot 1

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

From draft day to now there are very few power forwards that hit early in their career.

they usually take longer and to physically mature is when they really start to shine

hope and optimism are free and will be a better experience 

we gave up nothing for a player with pedigree and promise 

6'3" 186#

is Petey a power forward as well?

where do you get words like pedigree from?

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Given that this guy is cheap and his next contract will be cheap. As will Raty, Pod, Hog and etc..

Might see some retention with a guy like Boeser or what not. Might be wanting to load up on young cheap players in preparation for that. 

Maybe off-chance for buyouts but I hope not. Rather wait it out. 

Management keeping their cards close but that’s what I believe may be their mindset. 

Good point.  Puts us in a position to retain on salaries and not miss too much of a beat if things can somewhat pan out with these young guys.