The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Tanner Jeannot to Lightning for Cal Foote, 2025 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick, 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick, 2023 5th-round pick

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, Tampa Bay is all in. They lost to Colorado last year right? 

But yeah, five draft picks for a player that isn't a top six player is insane. 

Five draft picks and a young big bodied RHD - 14th overall - that hasn't had the chance to play regularly. 

Keep on hearing that RHD are gold, which they are. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

You can't do things just to keep individual players happy. Look what happened when Linden refused to rebuild during 2015-2018 because it would be "unfair" to the Sedin's.

Huge difference... Petey is 26 years old.... if we didn't have Petey, you are correct, but at some stage you've got to hold on to something.

Petey and Kuz are our top line for the next (hopefully) 6 years+, unless either suddenly pulls an LE...

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Same odds per ticket actually.

Ergo the more tickets you have the more chance you have of winning the lottery.

You still haven't answered my question.

Do you think this was a good trade for Tampa ? 

Tampa really targeted this player, because it seems like they could have gotten a similar caliber player for much less. 

It seems like they were scared they would miss out and didn't chance it. 

Terrible value, but a cup would make it worth it. 

6 hours ago, dougieL said:

Linden refused to rebuild before the Sedin's retired:

Canucks president Trevor Linden did a Q-and-A with Sportsnet's Luke Fox where he admitted that his loyalty to the franchise's all-time leading scorers takes priority over a potential rebuild.

"We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They're not going anywhere. I don't know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, 'Strip it down.' I'm not sure it's fair to these guys," said Linden. "There's different circumstances, be it in Toronto or Carolina or Vancouver, that require different routes. It's not perfect, but I'm encouraged by the young players we've introduced, and we've got some young prospects."

https://www.thescore.com/news/1173594-canucks-linden-a-rebuild-would-be-unfair-to-sedins?fb_comment_id=1175164522578209_1175762465851748/amp

Thanks for this info. Clears things up where so many around here thought the opposite was happening. 

• Cheers 1

I gotta say, this is the most over priced deal for a third line player I've ever seen. A day passed by but it's still baffling. 

I understand that they had to overpay to convince Nashville to trade a young player like Jeannot. But they basically traded 6 players.

The only rationale is that they have skill up front, goaltending, and defence. The road to ECF goes through Toronto and Boston and they figured they needed young physical player to get through Boston.

30 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Thanks for this info. Clears things up where so many around here thought the opposite was happening. 

I think people understand what happened. That Linden was onboard with going for a retool while the Sedins were around. He wanted to rebuild after Sedins retired but was told no by the owner.

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

i find it hilarious that in the meier thread most fans on these message boards were ridiculing the sharks for the return and comparing it to the already completed Bo Horvat deal.

now in this Jeannot one, people are salty that NSH absolutely fleeced TBL and again are comparing it to the already completed Horvat deal.

What, are you gonna complain to PA to turn back the time so he could rescind the trade and do it over now to another team? lmao.

The Horvat deal is finished.

We got what we got (which was a decent return, i don't think it was too impressive but it was also not bad).

Stop comparing them.

Well said.

The parameters surrounding each of these deals were different so they are not directly comparable anyways.

Horvat

- UFA, rejected latest offer from the Canucks.

- NYI wanted to jump ahead and give a boost otherwise they risked missing out on the playoffs.

- Vancouver wanted to retool so Beauvillier serves a role -- he was included to make the cap work out but if it was a mere cap dump, I'm sure NYI could have dumped someone else. Canucks wanted a young roster player for the retool.

Meier

- RFA with 10 million dollar qualifying offer.

- San Jose didn't need to trade him because he was an RFA.

- San Jose wanted to infuse their prospect pool with quantity. 

- There was a bidding war between Carolina, Vegas, and Devils.

Jeannot

- Nashville had absolutely no reason to trade him.

- Tampa targetted him.

- Result is that Tampa had to massively overpay.

Jeannot case is not the norm. It's the exception.

Bo got the very standard return for a pending UFA. 3 pieces: roster player, prospect, and 1st.

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think they aren’t worried too much about Sunday Drafting,.    I think this might be their last 2 seasons to bring it home again,. 
When ever they decide to pull the plug and rebuild ,   They have talent that will rapidly move for 1st round picks on future TDLines.

I don’t think they gave much up for Jeannot ,

who really still has to prove himself too.

Their isn’t much quality in the quantity of those unforeseen picks going to Nashville.. even the 1st round of 2025 is sure to be late.

At some point though the quantity is insane. Add a decent prospect, I just don't get it.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Quite the gap in value.

Tampa had to remove a player from their roster to make the cap work and not lose a contract spot re the 50 contract limit. Still not sure if he was a targeted return vs a cap casualty as the most expendable player on their roster.   Only 25 games played this season while Perbix called up from Syracuse and still waiver free has played 48.

Feels more like a throw in (Nashville was initially asking for 2x 1st per Seravalli) and maybe Nashville does see him as Fabbro's replacement in that D6/D7 role with his QO only at 850K vs having to go out and find a league minimum vet.  He was clearly not anywhere close from a 1-for-1. 

Curious to see what kind of team Trotz wants to build and their direction now that Poile is retiring  - he's coming in when Nashville is caught in no man's land.

Lol we will see what happens moving forward with Foote.

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Surprise, of the price as well and Brisebois has sold off most of their picks in the foreseeable future.  It is obvious, they are still going all in, with the current core.  

When they have Vasi in the crease, they are dangerous. Could very well make another run to the SC. Amazing core, strong supporting cast. Their D just seems underwhelming this year. (weakest 3rd pair in the past 5 seasons)

Wow even Jeannot gets this kind of haul? Just makes you jealous and think why it is not us. 

Looks like Tampa wants to remake that killer 3rd line. Now with Colton Paul Jeannot. 

AGAIN.. why is it not us... damnit. This is basically a year's worth of draft picks + Cal Foote... wtf is this.. 

Edited by Drakrami

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Wow even Jeannot gets this kind of haul? Just makes you jealous and think why it is not us. 

Looks like Tampa wants to remake that killer 3rd line. Now with Colton Paul Jeannot. 

AGAIN.. why is it not us... damnit. This is basically a year's worth of draft picks + Cal Foote... wtf is this.. 

Why is it not us?

We didn’t have Jeannot to trade…?

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why is it not us?

We didn’t have Jeannot to trade…?

No crap , captain obvious. 

But it's never us that makes a smart trade like these that fills our cupboards. Even though, we have been bottom dwellers for how many years now? Like almost 10 years...? 

The best trades we made were trading Burrows and Hansen for Dahlen and Goldobin? Or Bieska for a 2nd? 

The why not us implies this. 

Thank you though, captain obvious!

• Upvote 1