The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

Slightly disappointed with the return but when its only a pick coming back you know they took the best draft pick compensation available so I am happy that is the route we went down. Considering we got a 3rd for Hamonic I thought we would at least get a 2nd.  Glad they got it done in any event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

So we have added:

Beauvillier

Signed Kuzmenko

Raty

Kravtsov

Bloom

NYI 1st

Tor 3rd

Given up

Horvat

Lockwood

Stillman

Schenn

7th

Only Horvat matters at all and we didn't want him at 8.5 x 7.

I hated how Rutherford and Allvin handled Boudreau and Horvat, but this is some pretty tidy business.

And this team isn't noticeably worse without Horvat thus far. I loved Bo, but not much has changed without him. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Stillman and Schenn are gone, just like that. And the D was bad with them. What the heck is the plan for the D? Do the Canucks have another big trade to bring one back? I really don't want to see Boeser for Dumba. No thank you. That would be a dumba move. 

The more they can shed, the better this team will be set up for the draft, and the future. Hoping that there's a major trade happening which will open up cap space, roster spots, and returns picks. Agreed on Dumba. 

Wow.. third round only? I’d rather kept him as our leader.. someone to look up to. Not worth it. They just wants to make trade to pretend they’re doing something but they’re not improving! We need defence but let’s get random forwards and trade away our best defensive defenseman! Now he’s going to hurt us next week.. every year we give up players who plays with heart. Who plays the right way. 

Just now, N7Nucks said:

No, cause the better they do the worse that 3rd rounder becomes. It's already a glorified 4th rounder. Besides, Schenner already has a cup. He is just doing his civil service and spending a few months in Toronto til we bring him back.

Mid third rounder after the inevitable first round exit.  Still a very poor return from a team desperate for defencemen who can actually play defence.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Totally.  For what Schenn brought to this roster including leadership and the fact he stood up for the younger guys, a 3rd round pick is pretty pitiful as a return.

Why? He was waiver fodder not long ago. Why keep him until the end of the season when we can get a 3rd round pick by trading him and then re-sign him in the summer? What's not to like about that.....it's either get a 3rd round pick or don't....why would you not? 3rd rounder is exactly what his value was. We were never getting more. 

His value hasn't been this high in YEARS, take advantage of it.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Stillman and Schenn are gone, just like that. And the D was bad with them. What the heck is the plan for the D? Do the Canucks have another big trade to bring one back? I really don't want to see Boeser for Dumba. No thank you. That would be a dumba move. 

Patience. It will grow again. 

• There it is 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol all that for a 3rd. :picard:

Embarrassing to put a player through that for a messily third.

Especially with his wife due to give birth any day now and can’t travel. For a character guy like Schenn I wouldn’t put his family through that for a 3rd round pick. Even more so if your hope is to re-sign him in the offseason.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Mid third rounder after the inevitable first round exit.  Still a very poor return from a team desperate for defencemen who can actually play defence.

Only the 1st round draft position adjusts from the playoff outcome, the remaining rounds are all decided on by the Regular Season standings. So right now, this pick would be the 28th pick in the 3rd round, the 92nd in the draft.