The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Luke Schenn to Maple Leafs for 2023 3rd-round pick

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't want to see Bear on the ice for 20+ mins a night.

I'm hoping Johansson can get into that #2rhd spot and play with OEL, then Myers at 3rhd.  I don't really care if they bring Bear back or not

I agree. No Bear.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't want to see Bear on the ice for 20+ mins a night.

I'm hoping Johansson can get into that #2rhd spot and play with OEL, then Myers at 3rhd.  I don't really care if they bring Bear back or not

Don’t think Bear would be on the ice for 20+ minutes though

Hughes and Bear would get 16-17 5v5 minutes, then Hughes gets 5-6 mins powerplay time 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's fine as a bottom pairing guy, but yeah, I don't want Bear in our top four 

Yeah this is why I can’t fathom paying him more than 1-1.5 other guys getting a similar job done at league minimum like burroughs hirose schenn 

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Yeah this is why I can’t fathom paying him more than 1-1.5 other guys getting a similar job done at league minimum like burroughs hirose schenn 

For Bear it's still about what he could become to a degree.   Schenn also got a pretty hefty payday at that age.   Very hefty really.     Only knock I have on Bear is he's yet another undersized D.   We already have two in our top four.    We certainly don't need another one.    Would much rather bring back Schenn.   He's for sure earned a raise.    Given him Bears current money, and try and trade Bears rights.    Bears a RHD...let's be honest, if he was a LHD what sort of market would there be for him?   

We need to beef up our team.   And still need to make changes to our D.    For sure we need mobility as part of the equation, but there has to be a balance.   We need guys who can clear the net and make forwards pay hard for entering our zone, and along the boards.    Myers has that at times.   Schenn has that in spades.    And it's not something he's going to lose until he's retired.  

There was some dialogue that QHs was carrying Schenn to a degree.   That's completely false ... TO thought they were getting a veteran leader who would add snarl and hit guys.    Instead Schenn played like a top two or three for them.   Became one of their storylines, especially in the first round.    Keefe said Schenn was the reason why the team didn't feel like they were going to lose the series, as compared to all their previous attempts, Schenns influence removed the cliques, and stuck to team dinners.   That's a powerful influence, especially on a young team like ours (5th youngest in the league now).    

Would love to sign Schenn.  2.25-2.5 x 3.   That would give the team some breathing room to find another top four RHD.   To me he's like Willie Mitchell was for LA.   And can tell you this right now, IF Gillis re-signed Mitchell, instead of doing the Ballard trade, we'd of had extra cap space.    And not ended up being Bostons b!tch for half a series.  Would have had a different result.   Same age too.  

If Bear was 6'3 225lbs, i'd say sign him now!   But he's not.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

For Bear it's still about what he could become to a degree.   Schenn also got a pretty hefty payday at that age.   Very hefty really.     Only knock I have on Bear is he's yet another undersized D.   We already have two in our top four.    We certainly don't need another one.    Would much rather bring back Schenn.   He's for sure earned a raise.    Given him Bears current money, and try and trade Bears rights.    Bears a RHD...let's be honest, if he was a LHD what sort of market would there be for him?   

We need to beef up our team.   And still need to make changes to our D.    For sure we need mobility as part of the equation, but there has to be a balance.   We need guys who can clear the net and make forwards pay hard for entering our zone, and along the boards.    Myers has that at times.   Schenn has that in spades.    And it's not something he's going to lose until he's retired.  

There was some dialogue that QHs was carrying Schenn to a degree.   That's completely false ... TO thought they were getting a veteran leader who would add snarl and hit guys.    Instead Schenn played like a top two or three for them.   Became one of their storylines, especially in the first round.    Keefe said Schenn was the reason why the team didn't feel like they were going to lose the series, as compared to all their previous attempts, Schenns influence removed the cliques, and stuck to team dinners.   That's a powerful influence, especially on a young team like ours (5th youngest in the league now).    

Would love to sign Schenn.  2.25-2.5 x 3.   That would give the team some breathing room to find another top four RHD.   To me he's like Willie Mitchell was for LA.   And can tell you this right now, IF Gillis re-signed Mitchell, instead of doing the Ballard trade, we'd of had extra cap space.    And not ended up being Bostons b!tch for half a series.  Would have had a different result.   Same age too.  

Bottom pairing D are also the easiest to swap out whether that be via UFA, trade, or promoting prospects 

Could be an area cap could be saved 

I think Bear is serviceable but moreso as a bottom pairing guy, he wasn't bad or anything I was just kinda meh about him, I'd rather have something more along the lines of what you described to balance the D a bit more

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Kind of agree... Bear feels like our backup plan in case we can't sign/trade for a better Hughes partner. I also really don't think we should be paying him more than $1.5-$2m personally. Rather see that money going to the top 4.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Kind of agree... Bear feels like our backup plan in case we can't sign/trade for a better Hughes partner. I also really don't think we should be paying him more than $1.5-$2m personally. Rather see that money going to the top 4.

Agreed. I like Bear, but really, Burroughs brings more of what we need as a depth righty. Also agree, at this point Bear is a bottom pairing Dman untill he proved otherwise and 1.5 per is tops in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, rekker said:

Agreed. I like Bear, but really, Burroughs brings more of what we need as a depth righty. Also agree, at this point Bear is a bottom pairing Dman untill he proved otherwise and 1.5 per is tops in my opinion. 

I mean it's "nice" that he can play with, even elevate, either OEL or Hughes....but it would be preferable to keep that 3rd pair guy between $1-1.5m (or less) and spend what little cash we have on finding someone better, more full time, for Hughes.

Different story if we can manage to move Myers...then sure spend $1.5-$2'ish on Bear as solid depth that can play up. 

Feel largely the same about bringing back Schenn for that matter. At his previous contract or even up to $1.5'ish, I'd LOVE to have him back. He can 3RD or play with Hughes if we can't get a legit top 4 guy to play there. But if he's looking for $2m+....:unsure:

Mayfield and Gudas are probably our best bets as UFA's. Maybe Soucy (who's a lefty but can play R).  For cheaper 3RD guys that will likely sign closer to $1m...I hope we're looking at Pysyk. After that, we should be trying to trade for guys like Savard, Peeke etc.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Feel largely the same about bringing back Schenn for that matter. At his previous contract or even up to $1.5'ish, I'd LOVE to have him back

This. We agree on Bear, and he doesn't bring the physicality we need at the bottom pairing. Burroughs does, but would way, way more want to see Schenn back. Really hoping for Schenn. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

This. We agree on Bear, and he doesn't bring the physicality we need at the bottom pairing. Burroughs does, but would way, way more want to see Schenn back. Really hoping for Schenn. 

the second they dealt him, he wasn't coming back.  That's why I wanted to keep him pst the tdl

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Makes sense, from what I've read he really enjoyed his second stint in Toronto

Wouldn't be surprised if they gave him trade protection of some sort, he's bounced around a lot the last few years 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Man you really turn against guys when they are traded away. 

He's soft on Toronto, if anything you think he'd be rooting for Schenn 

Dude was a good soldier while here during both stints, no hard feelings, most guys move on at some point