The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Just now, stawns said:

no they don't........they have cap space because of ltir, that's not cap space......that's temporary relief.  They're, what, $6m over?

I get that, but right now, they have nearly $4M in usable cap space.  So what's the issue?

1 minute ago, AngryElf said:

You can re-sign guys a year in advance. I expect Allvin/Rutherford won't want this guy to improve his stock with a career year at 26 without a contract in place. 

Especially if he gets to play with Hughes. 

1 minute ago, jyu said:

It’s urgent until he is gone. Before we could just let his contract run out if that was the only reasonable  option. 

I'd call it urgent if today was August 1st, 2023.  We have 1/2 a year to unload a contract lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AngryElf said:

You can re-sign guys a year in advance. I expect Allvin/Rutherford won't want this guy to improve his stock with a career year at 26 without a contract in place. 

Sure, absolutely.  They will do that with Petey too.  But the $4 million is what is on the books for next year.  In 2024 they will have alot more cap space.  Beau will probably be gone, Myers, Pearson, Boeser, maybe Garland, plus the cap is going up by $4 million...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You probably couldn't trade Horvat for Hronek straight up if it was just a one for one deal.  Some people don't seem to understand that.  They think a scoring centre who is average defensively is worth more than a 50+ point top 4 RHD who is 25 and can run a power play.  Sometimes I wonder how some people actually follow hockey...

This is true but I was of the opinion that we actually got NYI to overpay for Bo lol. 

Maybe I overvalued their 1st, but I assumed it would be a 2024 lottery pick which to me is insanely valuable.

My reservations about this trade come from seeing Detroit fans complain about Hronek's turnovers and defensive game, but fancy stats say he turned a corner last year.

I guess we'll just have to see!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, but that's not a cap dump situation. Rumors we wanted to move Horvat all year too. We didn't give up picks and prospects to do it.

We didn’t want to move horvat all year long. We did because we couldn’t re-sign him. Allvin said he decided to move bo when the last contract offer got crickets from them. 

We wanted to move Boeser all year long. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

His point totals lol.

Sub 40 points equals big pay day? Lol. Okay bud. This is by far his best season on a per game basis. He is a 40 point guy that has dabbled in injuries. He would be smart to take the first long term deal that comes his way. Which will be around 5mil per.

Tough trade to assess. At least with any hope of being accurate.

Feels like this will come down to which team had the better scouting/player assessment.

If Detroit sold high on a player who’s having what proves to be a career outlier season, then they’ve fleeced the Canucks here.

But if Hronek is only just entering his prime, and his results this season are going to be repeated, and perhaps even improved upon, over the next several years, then Vancouver just pulled off an absolute steal of a trade.

Time will tell.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So the full deal is:

Bo Horvat

2023 2nd round pick

for

Filip Hronek

Anthony Beauvillier

Aatu Raty

2023 4th round pick

If we were trading BO and our 2nd and we got that return back in one trade, would that not be a good trade?  I think it would be a home run.  Need to look at the bigger picture here...

Definitely not a slam dunk, but all things considered, pretty solid. 

The undersized cap dump is out pointing Bo. We've got a potentially solid puck moving RHD. 

A top prospect and a pick. Again, could be much worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, absolutely.  They will do that with Petey too.  But the $4 million is what is on the books for next year.  In 2024 they will have alot more cap space.  Beau will probably be gone, Myers, Pearson, Boeser, maybe Garland, plus the cap is going up by $4 million...

I just mean that next year, we're over the cap even though we need to re-sign guys. It's supposed to be relatively flat for next season, and we're at 83.2.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek needs to be a #3D. If he's better that's a homerun, if he's worse its not great.

Yup. He needs to carry our second pairing. Can he carry OEL as well as Hughes carried Schenn?