The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, TripleSedins said:

Slick and Savy GM work by Detroit you cannot argue they didn't get the most for the player. I think it's a hockey trade given the current market.

A few points to consider:
1.Not pulling the trigger on Hronek likely means losing that player to another team 

2. Not many RHD available in the first two rounds 

3. We have other players to move for picks 

4. Canucks fans don't like trades where there isn't a clear cut winner. Two savy GM's went head to head and Detroit timed it perfectly..

This is another consideration. 

We're calling this a deep draft, but is it deep for RHDs? All I see in the first round so far are Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka (who's under 6 feet) and Dragicevic. Even if we assume all three are blue chip prospects, how long are they going to take to develop into legit NHL defenders? 

3 minutes ago, combover said:

E9E0107A-00B3-4D0E-80D2-8CB7774FBE37.jpeg.45f7e460d0b39ad2aa48451ca6ab0726.jpeg

at least this franchise is still good for a laugh. 
But experts  on here still know more. 

We already got our 1st LHD.

The stupid ones here are those in media comparing a LD with and RD.

It’s so strange that I have to wonder if it’s true what so e say, that media like to mock the Canucks.

What do you call people that agree with stupid journalists? 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Is there a metric that shows Chychrun as more effective than Hronek?  I kind of laugh at fancy stats as the be all - end all but Hronek puts up good numbers in big minutes.  

I saw someone mocking him as “he’s sure right handed” but what’s Chychrun? “He’s sure 6’2?”

I think there are Character issues with Chychrun but i'm only speculating... I am curious how much higher the asking price for him would have been (probable a top 6 NHL player (Boeser) along with the 1st and 2nd? .... and no 4th coming back for sure...

Edited by TripleSedins
  • Cheers 1

Just now, TripleSedins said:

Stay at home right D... Myers?? I know he's not the best we already moved on Tanev so not sure what management expects from Myers other than his contract is large :) 

Myers has to go and he will be gone this summer. Need some shutdown, stay at home types. 

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Ive been to the future ,2033. Bo comes back after  losing for 10 years on the island. Petey and boeser keep in contact and wait for bo to get his first cup and their fifth.  :towel:untitled.png.b68d4cd73645201e052f6e7add52dcca.png

F*ck, am I really gonna look like that in 10 years?   :o

I'm depressed now...   :sadno:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Wonder of with the Hronek addition, they look into moving Bear this deadline. 

I don’t they will get much besides a late pick, but if they don’t plan on re-signing him they should do it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I guess I agree but I think even this is overly ambitious. Bear is, at least, a serviceable nhl defender at a position that’s hard to fill.  OEL needs a guy who can move and regarding him:

I also don’t want to buy out OEL until he’s the last thing between us and being a contender just to minimize dead cap years.  

But yeah, ultimate wish list it’s:

Hughes-stay at home RHd 

stay at home lhd - Hronek

Maybe Rathbone?-Livingstone 

I keep forgetting about Poolman. Where does he fit into all of this?

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've been good on the small moves, you can see purpose there.  It's the major moves where they seem to be clueless

And this is when Rutherford realized his mistakes and had to backtrack by saying Canucks need "major surgery" instead at that press conference. 

15 minutes ago, sassbs said:

The more this trade is marinating in my mind the more it angers me.   No doubt he’s a great defencemen but his contract ends this year and will be a RFA.   He’ll ask for 8.   The only reason yzerman traded him to begin with 

why do we trade away our picks.   Ontop of that this guy is injured!!!!!

Also Yzerman made his decision, they could still make the playoffs but if they don't they have a boatload of picks for this draft.  Wings are already deeper and better than the Canucks and its not even funny.

Should have just picked up a meddling UFA RH defenseman in the offseason, keep the Islanders pick and develop someone for crying out loud!

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

They didn't draft fox, they traded for him.  All their young players are support players, at best.  The core they win with are older, veteran players that they traded for or signed.

Panarin,Trouba and Fox, the players they traded for made it clear that the Rangers were the team they wanted to be traded to. 

I wish that happened with us.

6 minutes ago, TripleSedins said:

Slick and Savy GM work by Detroit you cannot argue they didn't get the most for the player. I think it's a hockey trade given the current market.

A few points to consider:
1.Not pulling the trigger on Hronek likely means losing that player to another team 

2. Not many RHD available in the first two rounds 

3. We have other players to move for picks 

4. Canucks fans don't like trades where there isn't a clear cut winner. Two savy GM's went head to head and Detroit timed it perfectly..

And Hronek has been a 0,5 ppg player since he started play in NHL. That is really good for a D.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've never been a Chycrun fan, one of the most over rated players in the league, imo.

I’m with you on the reasons why I don’t like the Hronek deal (trade deadline timing - not having the cap space cleared)

But, yeah, the Chychrun trade isn’t a reason for me to dislike it.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Myers has to go and he will be gone this summer. Need some shutdown, stay at home types. 

Hard to say now, but they're far better off waiting until the tdl next season. 

They've painted themselves into a corner, now their either have to deal Miller or they bleed draft picks and prospects to move out other less desirable pieces 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I don’t think it’s directionless at all. I think it’s calculated but uneasy for fans because they just don’t trust ANYONE to run this team effectively. I think most ppl bitch about this roster while totally taking for granted what we have as a core now, how f**king fortunate we are to have the two guys we have lead in their positions at such a young age.

You have no choice but to build on that. 
Every GM and their dog would love to have our core as their base canvas. PAJR have the experience with Crosby and Malkin and Letang to realize the importance of insulating your stars and getting from and giving them support to excel. It will happen here too.

the problem I have is the PTSD that some folks can’t seem to shake off, to a point where they can’t even process what process is being blatantly f**king spoon fed to them and then act as though it’s a criminal act to follow through on directive.

These f**king guys know how to run a club, more so than anybody we’ve had in the last few iterations. Pedigree exemplifies that. 

so, rather than continuing to be a laughing stock fanbase that thinks they know more than the people who achieved the ultimate success multiple times in this sport, I would hope that some ppl realize that there is a method to it, especially when it’s made f**king clear in every interview, and that it takes time and willing partners and patience and circumstantial opportunity to improve a club that was left in dire straits (save for our youth core) by previous regimes. 

doni like this move for Hronek? Yeah, I have to, because I don’t think he’d be available to us for this price or less any other time. I think we just jumped on a very good opportunity/asset, one that we’ve been waiting on for f**king seasons now to acquire. Some Fans need a reminder rad to how hard that has been to come by for us, and maybe be a little bit appreciative that this mgmt team is giving it a real shot at rebuilding while keeping the superstars happy and potentially this team in a medium term competitive window. That the best you can ask for as a fan, yet sooooo many ppl take it for granted. It’s f**king annoying.

No this just the same mantra Benning supporters had over the last decade.

"He won a cup, you haven't"

"He's a great scout"

"He's a real GM, you're not"

Unfortunately for this narrative, the writing is on the wall and has been for a while. Team needs to rebuild properly.

Moving Bo was supposed to signal this.

Hronek and Hughes won't be a pair that starts in the Dzone together, if at all, so any talk of this being for Hughes doesn't really add up.

So you can keep your corner with those who like this deal because at face value the trade isnt bad. I'll stay in my corner with those who think the timing is stupid, it's a pointless move, we're overcapped next year but not really better, and our draft picks will be lower. The long game on this trade leads exactly where Benning lead the club over the last decade.

And I'm not going to talk to you about it any longer. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, TripleSedins said:

I think there are Character issues with Chychrun but i'm only speculating... I am curious how much higher the asking price for him would have been (probable a top 6 NHL player (Boeser) along with the 1st and 2nd? .... and no 4th coming back for sure...

We weren’t interested in him…

Just now, Ilunga said:

Panarin,Trouba and Fox, the players they traded for made it clear that the Rangers were the team they wanted to be traded to. 

I wish that happened with us.

Apples to oranges. Can't compare what the Canucks and Rangers are capable of in terms of attracting players. 

UFAs and college free agents are lined up outside the Ranger's front office every year. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

F*ck, am I really gonna look like that in 10 years?   :o

I'm depressed now...   :sadno:

Don’t worry, that dramatic aging is from alllll the playoff rounds played and cups won. Well worth it! 

• Huggy Bear 1