The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is it exactly. Our owner has his direction set. Management has no choice (outside of being fired) of following that direction. Considering that’s management’s marching orders, getting ?Hronek (a 25 year old, high end, right shot 3 D) is a fantastic move. 

No. Having and understanding that the fanbase would never allow Hughes and Pettersson to walk after saying that they want no part of a rebuild. 

It is to retool or trade Hughes and Pettersson.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

No. Having and understanding that the fanbase would never allow Hughes and Pettersson to walk after saying that they want no part of a rebuild. 

It is to retool or trade Hughes and Pettersson.

Or possibly have them walk for nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree with the timing. Much like when we got Miller. Good trade for value, but the time for the current state of the club was off. But our owner wants to build right now for next season. Patiently rebuilding through the draft doesn’t seem to be an option with him. 

On that, we can agree. Although I wish that wasn’t the case. We keep doing the same retool thing year after year and expecting different results. No wonder people are frustrated. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 3

Very up and down trade deadline, liked majority of the moves. Hronek move left a bad taste in my mouth though. Was fine moving the NYI first for a right D but the high 2nd as well stung. The move for a top 4 RD was necessary though, our top 2 RD going into next year was Bear and Burroughs (with Myers likely gone). I think we will be OK for Cap next year if we can move Myers and Boeser + probably buy out Pearson in the offseason. There is no way to get a young established top 4 RD without a significant payment. Hronek was 11th in points and 25th in TOI out of all RD's in the league, he is more offensive minded though so we will have to see how he is defensively which is our biggest need.     

Grade C+

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, chon derry said:

To Add to that the 1 rd pick they gave up for hronek was at 18 oa. And they weren’t sold on the players available in that range otherwise they would have kept the pick. Further pitts 1st rd pick at this moment sits further back at 19 oa. And the second 1st rd pick in next years puts it even further down the development path. Btw there’s only 1 dman avail in the middle of the 1 st rd. And the Russian kid ( gulyeyev) 

The islanders sit at the 16th OA pick right now.  As for defensemen in the first round?  What?  

There's 4-5 that are being discussed to be taken by pick 16.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

I'm convinced this is all coming from ownership and them wanting to accommodate our current good players and or get playoff revenue at all costs. Different management team and same shit every time

Look in the mirror. What are your expectations and are they realistic?

55 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

If that’s true, then he’s been following the wrong fit in Hronek for over a year, which is concerning in itself. We need a strong defensive defenseman on the right side to pair with Hughes. An undersized offensive defenseman in Hronek was not the hole we needed filled right now, and certainly not at that price. 

I was a bit doubtful about this trade to start with. 

First off trading for an injured player.

Second giving up 2 picks that will be in the first 40 picks in this year's draft. 

Third respect for Stevie Y's GM skills, why would he give up on Filip.

And fourth to a lesser extent I was doubtful he was what we truly needed, a top line shutdown D to play with Quinn.

After doing some research it seems Filip can play D as well.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/move-over-rod-langway-canes-jaccob-slavin-is-nhls-no-1-shutdown-defenseman

I know this is data and 

he gets an honourable mention outside of the top 20 players however combine that with his puck moving skills and shot. 

IMO he is a solid second pairing RHD, those are still hard to acquire. 

As for his size he is slightly bigger than Makar.

What does worry me is how much his next contract will be. 

I know he is an RFA so we will have some control. 

He is one of the pieces we need. 

The other 2 vital pieces are a true top pairing shutdown D to partner Quinn, and and second pairing LHD to partner Filip, he should be easier to acquire. 

@Elias Pettersson stated in another thread that if we found the right partner for Hughes he could win a Norris Trophy.

That illustrates that hockey is a team sport and it is about finding the right pieces and putting them together.

It also illustrates that these supposedly individual awards are rarely won by the individual himself, rather a team effort.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I despise Drance and am still underwhelmed with the job management has done so far. Nice try generalizing everyone that doesn’t agree with you though. 

Actually I can see both sides about what management is doing, especially over Miller, so it's not that.  All I'm commenting on here is how many people say they despise Drance while saying the same things he does.  It's not my problem to resolve, though. 

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The islanders sit at the 16th OA pick right now.  As for defensemen in the first round?  What?  

There’s actually 6 available in the first round. 32oa. 29, 28, 26, 15, 11.  As of last nite the isles pick sat at 17oa.  So the moot point or question would be hypothetical. Why would they draft any thing at 26, 28, 29 , or 32 ?  And they wouldn’t have been able to capture the 11 th. So that would of only have left the 15th for them. But once again it’s moot because the pick is Detroit’s now. Edit. Rankings do change. And available dman could drop but typically most teams are left to picking BPA. Which wouldn’t have addressed positional needs. And might be part of the reasoning for the trade? 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

On that, we can agree. Although I wish that wasn’t the case. We keep doing the same retool thing year after year and expecting different results. No wonder people are frustrated. 

Some really old dead guy said that.  

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And when they inevitably fall into protected pick status, then what? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Some really old dead guy said that.  

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Good lord I hate that quote.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Perhaps the people that disagree with the team direction do so without differentiating what part of the direction comes from ownership and what comes from management.

We’ve been retooling for a decade. I used to be on board, and even defended that position in the past, however it hasn’t yielded results. If the plan isn’t working, then it’s time to change the plan. 

Nah.....it has to work eventually...maybe the 37th retool when FA's kid is trying to win it all for HIS dad....

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1