The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we win Bedard what’s your next move?

Simply put we win Bedard. 

How do you shift the team’s direction? Do you shift the team’s direction? What moves to you try to make? Do you make any moves?  

What I would do would be to replicate what we’ve already done with the Horvat trade but with a Miller trade. Also use the return to clear cap(which will probably prove costly). Another Hronek type but maybe a Crouse as we clear cap? Use the free’d up cap to add multiple pieces, especially at D. Could also re-sign Beauv as well. Mainly to build a long-term contender that can compete now and moving forward centring around Bedard. All within the realm of a retool. 

But enough of my ideas. What are yours? What would you do if we won Bedard? Share, discuss. 

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How do you shift the team’s direction? Do you shift the team’s direction? What moves to you try to make? Do you make any moves?  

What I would do would be to replicate what we’ve already done with the Horvat trade but with a Miller trade. Also use the return to clear cap(which will probably prove costly). Another Hronek type but maybe a Crouse as we clear cap? Use the free’d up cap to add multiple pieces, especially at D. Could also re-sign Beauv as well. Mainly to build a long-term contender that can compete now and moving forward centring around Bedard. All within the realm of a retool. 

But enough of my ideas. What are yours? What would you do if we won Bedard? Share, discuss. 

Put Miller on Bedards wing. People are gonna try to take shots at lil conor, he needs a wingman with a blend of high end skill and a bad temper. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I think we just sit tight and probably see if Bedard can work as a 2C replacement for Horvat. Simply throwing him into our roster would do wonders.

That said, he adds to what is already a strength of ours--offense, so maybe look to make more Hronek-like moves, moving out a forward for defensemen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we win the NHL Draft Lottery, my next move is to run to Costco and clean them out of Toilet Paper.

If we win the lottery, you know that another meteor like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, is NOT far behind!

earth meteor GIF

Good point, i might have to go pre-emptively buy all the toilet paper before draft day just in case

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we win the NHL Draft Lottery, my next move is to run to Costco and clean them out of Toilet Paper.

If we win the lottery, you know that another meteor like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, is NOT far behind!

earth meteor GIF

That's my prediction if the Canucks ever win the cup. Right before the first person gets to lift the cup, they announce the area has to be evacuated due to a meteor 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think we just sit tight and probably see if Bedard can work as a 2C replacement for Horvat. Simply throwing him into our roster would do wonders.

That said, he adds to what is already a strength of ours--offense, so maybe look to make more Hronek-like moves, moving out a forward for defensemen.

That’s kind of my idea. That’s why I look at Miller, and what the Horvat trade brought us, and think perhaps we can do something similar there which IMO would help us round out the roster in the short and long-term like the Horvat trade has. The return might even help us clear more cap out which could help us add as well. 

I think though, with Bedard, there’s a bunch of solid routes we could go. This is just one of them I prefer. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

OP, great topic! I'd say not too much changes other than what AJ suggests here. Continue moving out inefficient / ill-fitting cap and reallocate money to defensive defensemen. Maybe Bedard's presence makes it extra logical to move both Garland and Boeser. 

If anything, it probably makes management more aggressive in clearing cap sooner than later. Does it suddenly make an OEL + future 1st cap dump make sense so we maximize Bedard's ELC time? Not that I'm advocating for that; just speculating how Allvin would respond.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

we wont, since we keep winning ../shrug

Wouldn't move Miller as there are questions about Bedard as a C, don't think he will be one right away.

Don't think I'd do much different either way, we to focus on improving the team in any way we can that will be sustainable for 5+ years. So it shouldn't force short sighted moves but it would be a huge boost obviously. 

• Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably wake up.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

If we're being serious though I'm with you on the Miller bit. This team's strength would likely continue to be it's offense even without Miller, moreso if Hronek can give Hughes some back up offensively from the back end. 

Circle back round to Pittsburgh and trade him for futures, rumour has it we wanted a young center in return for Miller, Bedard is one. Go into next season with something along the lines of the following. 

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier 

Mikheyev - Bedard - Boeser 

Either use said futures and shop for upgrades at D via UFA with some of the cap space moving Millers frees up or flip them to another team to either move OEL or bring in back up for Hughes, OEL, and Hronek. 

Work to find ourselves a solid two-way 3C. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1