The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Mar. 19, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Tbh we were good down the stretch last year. Bruce had the forwards loosening up after Green was suffocating them. Shaw was put into position to actually run the blueline and, coupled with Demko's strong play, that made the difference. 

We lost Shaw in the offseason and really didn't have proper goaltending until just recently. We didn't improve the blueline at all, and Bruce's loose coaching style, which was so effective at the end of last season, became more of a hindrance with the loss of Demko and Shaw running the blueline. 

The idea that this is "just like last year" indicates lazy, one dimensional thinking. 

But the one thing that you are missing from last year is that every time the media and fans said MUST WIN GAME the Canucks fell apart. Now with Bo gone and JT as coach, they are playing differently. The tension seems to have left the room and they seem to be having fun. They also seem to be playing for the logo on the front rather than the name. 

13 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

That's not true. They have not had a winning record over the last 20 games of any season in the last 10 years. Last year they had a good 12-game stretch, the year before that they had a terrible record to end the year. There is no pattern at all of them winning "meaningless" games at the end of the season and that not carrying over in to next year.

I get the frustration though. 50 years is a long time to go without a championship, and it does feel like the team gives us false hope too often. But this run of better play right now could very well be sustainable, and there's not much evidence that it won't be. The team has looked good, and I choose to be optimistic.

Well we just have to see how they play next year. We all know by now that what's accomplished for the rest of this year means very little for next year. As players usually say we have to forget about what happened last year good or bad. It's a new year. These slow starts just can't happen anymore. 

• Cheers 1

Stating that we also played well at the second half of last season and it did not carry over to this season, so we should not be overly optimistic about the current run is just stating reality. 

Many factors could or could not be true about last season so I am not going to comment. But for this season, I have never seen an easier schedule than this. After TDL we are playing either Anaheim, or Nashville, or Arizona, or San Jose. 

Western Conference is so weak this year it is laughable. They further sold along their core pieces to Eastern teams making them even weaker after TDL. 

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think you are dead wrong. I think most fans love it when the Canucks win. Winning is the whole point, don't you think?

I think some of us can remember all the losses when points still mattered, and see the pattern of same thing year after year, and realize to be a team that can win more than meaningless games the best thing to do is lose now. 
Some of us think a meaningless win against a bottom feeder team is a sign that we are once again one player away just like last season and the season before…

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well we just have to see how they play next year. We all know by now that what's accomplished for the rest of this year means very little for next year. As players usually say we have to forget about what happened last year good or bad. It's a new year. These slow starts just can't happen anymore. 

Remember all the good start with the Sedins long in the tooth?   Then Edler and or Tanev went down, and any playoff hopes went with it.    That was more of a pattern than winning a bunch the last third of the season.   One thing that did happen, was instead of losing 3 or four games right at the end, we lost a spot by winning a game or two more then the teams around us.   Maybe that's what you're remembering.   In the end, the lotto rules boned us anyways.  And it's doubtful it would mean much as far as whom we picked.    Nobody wanted OJ at six either.    Or EP at six.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I think some of us can remember all the losses when points still mattered, and see the pattern of same thing year after year, and realize to be a team that can win more than meaningless games the best thing to do is lose now. 
Some of us think a meaningless win against a bottom feeder team is a sign that we are once again one player away just like last season and the season before…

We aren’t “only one player away” from competing for the cup. But we do have the hardest players to get here in place. We have the core, and as a group that core is of a very good age to win now and for several years to come. 
What we need are better supporting players. And management is bringing in those guys. Some work out, and some don’t. But we are close. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Yeah make it to post season and all our guys are all gased out. Next thing we lose in 4 games. Demko reinjures his lower body. Boeser has another hissy fit.  Petey changes his stick flex. Kuz eating apples instead of bananas.  10 game losing streak at the beginning of the season because the nhl gave us the toughest schedule. Back to square one fires the coach goes on a winning streak at end of season because we are playing easy teams,  recycle foe another 60 years! 

Wow!

11 hours ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Its ok. Just quit being a canucks fan. This team deserves to never win a cup or a nhl draft lottery. They deserve to either 1) miss the playoffs by 1 point  or 2) Get knocked out in 4 games in the first round every year. Just pick another team to cheer for. I've given up. 

sorry, but you're wrong ... this TEAM deserves everything... it's the OWNER that doesn't deserve ANYTHING

• There it is 2

We will get Bedard, eventually, in free agency.  In the mean time, I'm excited to see what this core can do.  If we make another couple of good trades and sign another good free agent D out of college, the supporting pieces could be right there.  If we keep getting better, we'll be in a position to win.  If being bad was the key to winning, we'd long since have become a dynasty. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, KFan said:

I'm not sure Petey is ready. I'd prefer they go even a full next season before they choose. If they absolutely had to choose a captain right now, it should be JT, and I think Petey would agree with that. Fortunately they don't have to. They have 3 strong leaders wearing the A.

I have a strong feeling that, baring a surprise trade and the draft, JT will be the next captain. That frees Petey up to just do what he does best, dominate. Plus, when was the last time a non-north american captain won the cup? I don't know, I'm just asking. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We aren’t “only one player away” from competing for the cup. But we do have the hardest players to get here in place. We have the core, and as a group that core is of a very good age to win now and for several years to come. 
What we need are better supporting players. And management is bringing in those guys. Some work out, and some don’t. But we are close. 

Thin down the middle, very thin on D especially the right side. Adding Hronek helps but hasn’t fixed any of the issue just helped a little with one. 
The system has one good prospect at centre that looks a couple years away and has some long shots on D, really only one B level prospect on right D. 
We have done a nice job adding from Europe and college and hopefully will continue to do so as we trade away high pics during a retool.  If you really wanted to support the core that is here though you would stop trading away high pics so that you have cost controlled guys that can roll in as others price themselves out instead of guys that will need big contracts one or two years after you acquire them and are already cash strapped because of past patterns of always spending to the cap and trading away high pics and always trying to shortcut the process.