The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think we are going into next season with zero changes to our D.  Expect 3-4 new Dmen in the lineup on opening night.  We will find a way to clear the cap space. All options are on the table.  

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

This is the type of defence that will allow us to play a more physical defensive game and allow our puck movers enough freedom to make plays.  It might be a pipe dream to get all 4 of Gavrikov, Mayfield, Soucy and Schenn, but I would expect us to get at least 2 of them. My bet is on Gavrikov and Schenn. 

It would be great to see OEL and Myers shifted...

Still not sure they'll get them moved, and fully expect 1 of the 2 to play next season as well.

But yes it would be great to get such a shake up on our D.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think we are going into next season with zero changes to our D.  Expect 3-4 new Dmen in the lineup on opening night.  We will find a way to clear the cap space. All options are on the table.  

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

This is the type of defence that will allow us to play a more physical defensive game and allow our puck movers enough freedom to make plays.  It might be a pipe dream to get all 4 of Gavrikov, Mayfield, Soucy and Schenn, but I would expect us to get at least 2 of them. My bet is on Gavrikov and Schenn. 

Hirose will play second pair with Hronek. Bear with Hughes.

Bottom pair will be Woo and Wooly

Huggy Bear

HH

Woo Woo

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

Problem is, if we're going for a 20 minute LD, one of Hirose or OEL misses out and I just can't see them moving OEL without a buyout or 1st round pick trade and either are horrible. Allvin could go all GM JB and trade our 2026 first rounder to move OEL in the gamble/hope that we don't suck by then. I wouldn't do it.

Maybe we keep Hirose around as our 7th defenceman, but so far he looks too good for that, let's see. Best case scenario is we trade Myers to free up cap and then sign one UFA. To be honest Mayfield fits better being a tough RD but I'd take Gavrikov or Graves for 5-6M in a heart beat. If we can flip Garland somehow too we go out and sign a 3C, but the defence should be priority here.

Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - ?

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Dare I ask the question...can Hirose play RD? Bear will probably have to do in the end...

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Problem is, if we're going for a 20 minute LD, one of Hirose or OEL misses out and I just can't see them moving OEL without a buyout or 1st round pick trade and either are horrible. Allvin could go all GM JB and trade our 2026 first rounder to move OEL in the gamble/hope that we don't suck by then. I wouldn't do it.

Maybe we keep Hirose around as our 7th defenceman, but so far he looks too good for that, let's see. Best case scenario is we trade Myers to free up cap and then sign one UFA. To be honest Mayfield fits better being a tough RD but I'd take Gavrikov or Graves for 5-6M in a heart beat. If we can flip Garland somehow too we go out and sign a 3C, but the defence should be priority here.

Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - ?

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Dare I ask the question...can Hirose play RD? Bear will probably have to do in the end...

OEL can take LE seat in the press box... The splinters in his butt may may help hemlock elsewhere... 

Unless he raises his game (which I think is possible), getting Hirose into the line up make so much more sense.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

OEL can take LE seat in the press box... The splinters in his butt may may help hemlock elsewhere... 

Unless he raises his game (which I think is possible), getting Hirose into the line up make so much more sense.

I agree, I think OEL will raise his game but not good enough for a solid 2nd pairing guy, so maybe OEL and Hirose will share minutes - Hirose more on the 2nd PP, OEL on the PK. Hughes will probably average 25 mins a night anyway, leaving 35 mins a night between the other two. On average, that's around 17-18 minutes for each of them. Obviously I'd rather Hughes down at 23 mins, OEL at 20 and Hirose at 17-18 but we'll see what happens.

That sort of makes a Gavrikov/Graves signing unlikely but sign Mayfield and he slots right in with Hughes for one great rounded D

Hughes - Mayfield

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Burroughs

Rathbone

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I agree, I think OEL will raise his game but not good enough for a solid 2nd pairing guy, so maybe OEL and Hirose will share minutes - Hirose more on the 2nd PP, OEL on the PK. Hughes will probably average 25 mins a night anyway, leaving 35 mins a night between the other two. On average, that's around 17-18 minutes for each of them. Obviously I'd rather Hughes down at 23 mins, OEL at 20 and Hirose at 17-18 but we'll see what happens.

That sort of makes a Gavrikov/Graves signing unlikely but sign Mayfield and he slots right in with Hughes for one great rounded D

Hughes - Mayfield

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Burroughs

Rathbone

Yeah a lot of moves will depend on who gets moved in the off season...

really hard to predict, but while the dream is OEL and Myers, I doubt more than 1 gets moved, if that... 

Two better defensive D's would make it a lot easier to slowly get Hirose progressing under slightly protected minutes. If OEL could raise his game, then maybe 1 extra would be enough, but.....

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hirose will play second pair with Hronek. Bear with Hughes.

Bottom pair will be Woo and Wooly

Huggy Bear

HH

Woo Woo

If Bear is playing top 4 next year it will be a management fail. I question whether he is even a 3rd pairing on a contending team. Hoping that the improved depth pushes him down or out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

I agree, I've always thought schenn was coming back, and lately dhaliwal has been very accurate with his insider info so I could see Gavrikov coming here 

Hughes Schenn

Gavrikov Hronek

Ekman-Larsson Hirose

Rathbone Wolanin

I don't think Bear gets re signed if we sign Gavrikov, and I think a Tyler Myers buyout is part of this major surgery.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, coryberg said:

A tyler myers buyout saves us $333,333 in total cap space. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/tyler-myers

Not an option.

Saves a roster spot though. Wether by  trade or buyout I think Myers will be moved 

And it saves us 5 million in 24/25. Very doable. I see a lot of OEL buyout proposals that would ruin our future 

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs

22 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Saves a roster spot though. Wether by  trade or buyout I think Myers will be moved 

And it saves us 5 million in 24/25. Very doable. I see a lot of OEL buyout proposals that would ruin our future 

It costs us more money than his $6m hit to buyout  Myers and replace him with a league minimum guy, than to just pay Myers. 

The only way we're getting off Myers, is to trade him. Maybe with retention and/or cap coming back. A buyout simply isn't a feasible option.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

They can just send Myers to Abby. That would save $1,150,000 in cap space. Much more than buying him out. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

If Bear is playing top 4 next year it will be a management fail. I question whether he is even a 3rd pairing on a contending team. Hoping that the improved depth pushes him down or out. 

I agree. I don’t think Bear gets signed unless Myers is off the books. He’s not going to be on the top pairing with Hughes and we can sign Schenn to play on the 3rd pairing. Or Juulsen for under $1 million. 

• Upvote 2

I think a potential landing spot for Myers this offseason (after his 5 million bonus is paid out by the canucks) could be the Chicago Blackhawks.

Chicago Blackhawks projected cap space for 2023-2024 season is $45,453.211.

Toews and Kane will be off their books...they have a ton of cap room to sign players and need to get to the cap floor.

They could essentially trade for him (and his $6 million cap hit) and only have to pay him $1 million in actual salary. 

To top it off, the Hawks could unload him at next years trade deadline and probably get a decent draft pick for him...he would have less than 400K on the rest of his deal.

Seems like a some shrewd book keeping.

JMO 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If Bear is playing top 4 next year it will be a management fail.

Pretty much.

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I question whether he is even a 3rd pairing on a contending team

He is most certainly a 3rd pairing dman on almost every team in the league... but only top 4 on a handful. I'd like him at 3rd pair money (less than 2.5) if not he can move on. I want a top 4 that is in the top half of the league. Not bottom.

Edited by coryberg

On 4/7/2023 at 10:02 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Unpopular opinion but an OEL buyout is very expensive, and we are much better off having him play at least as well as he did last season. Digging into the analytics the best D pairs this year were Hughs-Bear, Hughes-Myers, OEL-Bear

The worst if I remember correctly was OEL-Schenn, with OEL-Myers also being very bad.

One hypothesis is there is a significant importance in speed and puck-moving ability above all else.

I believe that OEL-Hronek will have a revitalization next season.

That leaves Myers. Hirose fits the same bill, could he also be effective with Myers? 

Wolanin and Juulsen have proven to be solid depth pieces plus Johansson, McWard, Brisebois, Rathbone are other guys who can step in.

Now if we can move Myers we should do it but not worth giving up additional value to do so. I’d run with Hughes-Bear, OEL-Hronek, Hirose-Myers and we will be shocked with how much better our D looks bringing in Hronek and Hirose 

if it's possible. move Myers, and then sign Gavrikov. Our defense is stronger with Gavrikov in it. 

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They can just send Myers to Abby. That would save $1,150,000 in cap space. Much more than buying him out. 

I'm ok with that.Or summer bonus then retain half and trade him.  

Then trade Brock with Rathbone as sweetener for a 3C. 

We have cap room.

Maybe sign one only player to help.

Next summer buyout OEL and Person and Poolman gone we got cap room.