The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Cole McWard

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Management group did well last season getting Bains, Johansson and Aman.  Getting Tolopilo, Hirose, Sasson and McWard this season is solid piece of work.

Restocking the system even if these aren't high end pieces, but helps raise the bottom end of the development group.

Lots of puck movers on D we’ve picked up. 

Should try to find more defensive/energy  types both at FWD and D. 

Need more help keeping the puck out. Don’t want to overwork Demko. 

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lots of puck movers on D we’ve picked up. 

Should try to find more defensive/energy  types both at FWD and D. 

Need more help keeping the puck out. Don’t want to overwork Demko. 

We did get Bloom and Sasson I think falls into that. But ya they really are adding lots of pieces though 

Overall I really like a lot of things they have done

• Upvote 1

Just now, R3aL said:

We did get Bloom and Sasson I think falls into that. But ya they really are adding lots of pieces though 

Overall I really like a lot of things they have done

I am reserving judgement till the off-season and how they handle that. 

I think the roster as is will still run into consistency issues due to team composition. 

Would like to see a more defensively minded bottom 6 to match our offensively talented top 6. 

Also some more defensively minded D to match our puck movers. 

Tall impossible task to do it all in one off-season but I want to see how much they accomplish if any. The cap will make it hard so it will get interesting to see how they address. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Great signing, he's only 21 but hopefully he'll develop nicely in the AHL for a year. I'm always skeptical about these college kids but this guy is 2-3 years younger than the rest so could keep sky rocketing upwards.

Get him in Vancouver and get him playing with Hughes for the rest of the season, let's give the kid a fun shot and see what we've got.

39 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Great signing, he's only 21 but hopefully he'll develop nicely in the AHL for a year. I'm always skeptical about these college kids but this guy is 2-3 years younger than the rest so could keep sky rocketing upwards.

Get him in Vancouver and get him playing with Hughes for the rest of the season, let's give the kid a fun shot and see what we've got.

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for NCAA college free agents. I mean if Livingstone is projected to be a third pairing, maybe, second pairing dman in the league, then I'm not too hopeful that this kid is going to top that. But who knows right? It's why these kids play the games, there are untangibles often with certain players that will drive them further than players with an entire toolbox...cough cough, Virtanen, cough cough...

It would be interesting to see how many undrafted NCAA free agents are now currently playing in the NHL.

I suspect it is not that many and most of the college guys who make it were relatively high draft picks. 

I think most of the undrafted guys wind up in the AHL and Europe.

But it is good PR for the team when they sign someone.

Having said that I wish McWard all the best and hope he beats the odds to become a top 4 NHL Dman for us.

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

From what I've read about Cole, is that he was a late bloomer and was overlooked due to his 5'10" and 160lbs.

He was described as having a similar style to Quinn Hughes, but nowhere near the skills.  Now that he is

6'1" and 192lbs, I would think his game has changed and he could probably withstand the NHL defensive

game.  Love the timeframe he has for development.

I like this signing adding size Cole McWard -21 - 6'1 - 195lbs RD yes-- --We have so many D men between 5'10 - --6'0

Need to Add a guy like Graves 27 - 6'5 -225 -- very tough stay at home D man...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, SO glad we have Foote and Gonchar. Both allow us to take a big leap forward with our D development. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s 21. That’s 3 years younger in development. Of course he’s a project. But he’s going to be better than Livingston and the other 24/25 year old college UFAs in a couple years.we win! 

Jumping on the bandwagon here.  Love this signing. Last year PA did a great job on getting European free agents to improve the prospect pipeline and this year he has done a great job with the college UFAs.

The key here is age and development.  This year, every D in Abby made a lot of progress (Wolanin, Juulsen, Woo, Brisebois). At age 21 McWard has a lot of runway and probably one of the selling points is the development team the Canucks have put together.

Late bloomer who grew late -- perfect -- Tanev 2.0.

I was hoping for Livingstone but, on reflection, I am happier with this signing. Livingstone might be able to play on a third pairing or as 7th man right away, but there is a good chance that is his ceiling. McWard has more upside even if he is a couple of years away.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1