The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Noah Juulsen

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s reported to be week-to-week with a lower body injury (rumoured to be his ankle). So, I suppose it’s possible he recovers early and is able to return to action sometime during the AHL playoffs. Or maybe he’s hurt but still able to skate non-contact or do some training/conditioning work, and would be better off remaining around teammates and coaches/trainers on active AHL team, rather than staying with Vancouver after they shutdown for the season?

As long as they get him as far away from our team doctors as possible.

Pearson's injury went from 4-6 weeks, to a couple more months, to out for year, to small chance he can't play again, to probably can't play again, to Canucks might get sued.<_<

Edited by Chickenspear

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Remember all the talk about him being a top 4 guy :ph34r: Love Jules, but I think he's a solid AHL guy that can play with the big boys when injuries pile up. Hopefully he and Abby can go on a nice playoff run here.

I think he'll be a regular in van next year and play the Luke schenn role 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

As long as they get him as far away from our team doctors as possible.

Pearson's injury went from 4-6 weeks, to a couple more months, to out for year, to small chance he can't play again, to probably can't play again, to Canucks might get sued.<_<

I read somewhere that he has had like 6-7 surgeries now for that injury. Oooof, not sure how you argue it not being negligent at that point. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I don't get this. No word on re-signing Burroughs, Juulsen on waivers? Myers should be gone next year which makes our D resemble the Smurfs? Why risk this?

Cause we have others like McWard and Johansson coming next year,need room for them.

51 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I read somewhere that he has had like 6-7 surgeries now for that injury. Oooof, not sure how you argue it not being negligent at that point. 

Hand injuries are brutal

Hard to say negligence

With hand injuries sometimes thats just how it goes - recovery is far less certain/predictable. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s reported to be week-to-week with a lower body injury (rumoured to be his ankle). So, I suppose it’s possible he recovers early and is able to return to action sometime during the AHL playoffs. Or maybe he’s hurt but still able to skate non-contact or do some training/conditioning work, and would be better off remaining around teammates and coaches/trainers on active AHL team, rather than staying with Vancouver after they shutdown for the season?

I am still puzzled by several things.

1. Several sources stay or imply that the waiver period ends one day after the regular season ends. Does this mean that any eligible player can be sent down to Abby without worrying about waivers after the season ends?

2. If so, why waive Juulsen now.

3. A team that acquires Juulsen could not play him in this year's playoff. They might still acquire him as an "asset" as he will be an RFA this summer.

4. The Canucks are not subject to the 23 man limit now, and they have enough cap room to bring up someone else for the final game if they want. So why waive Juulsen.

5. The current 50 contract limit is not binding and if the Canucks want his contract spot for next year all they have to do is not quality him.

6. I wonder if his agent asked for him to be put on waivers just in case someone else who thinks he is an NHL player and will pick him up. Maybe it something to do with the contract negotiations for Juulsen (which have apparently restarted.) Maybe the idea is that if he clears he will sign for what the Canucks are currently offering.

• Cheers 2

It would be unfortunate to now lose him for nothing, but I'm not concerned about him returning next year as Hughes' partner. He did better than expected, but its a small sample size and during his dozen (?) games, he didn't even get a point. Defensive minded or not, that's just not good enough unless he's an absolute monster in other areas. Which he isn't.

Furthermore, I believe the intent is to keep improving the D from where it is now. This probably includes trying to move Myers, and possibly bringing in a PROPER defenseman to pair with Hughes. And maybe we bring back Schenn on the cheap, or re-sign Bear. 

I could see something like:
Hughes Severson
OEL Hronek
Hirose Schenn/Bear
McWard/ Wolanin / Burroughs

I think that's a pretty darn good d-core... even if OEL isn't ideal in the 2nd pairing, perhaps he will have a resurgent season. Even this season, he was nearly a point every-other-game. No, that doesn't make up for his poor +/- and frankly terrible defensive play on most nights, but it still accounts for something.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

It would be unfortunate to now lose him for nothing, but I'm not concerned about him returning next year as Hughes' partner. He did better than expected, but its a small sample size and during his dozen (?) games, he didn't even get a point. Defensive minded or not, that's just not good enough unless he's an absolute monster in other areas. Which he isn't.

Furthermore, I believe the intent is to keep improving the D from where it is now. This probably includes trying to move Myers, and possibly bringing in a PROPER defenseman to pair with Hughes. And maybe we bring back Schenn on the cheap, or re-sign Bear. 

I could see something like:
Hughes Severson
OEL Hronek
Hirose Schenn/Bear
McWard/ Wolanin / Burroughs

I think that's a pretty darn good d-core... even if OEL isn't ideal in the 2nd pairing, perhaps he will have a resurgent season. Even this season, he was nearly a point every-other-game. No, that doesn't make up for his poor +/- and frankly terrible defensive play on most nights, but it still accounts for something.

I could see Vancouver try and sign UFA Graves 28--6'5 -225--LD --4.5 million X 4 yrs   --- Severson 29 -- 6'2  RD -- 5.5 million X 4 yrs

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's a good 6-8 option now but I wouldn't go that far with him just yet, I hope he can become that though. 

I've watched him all season, he's been rock solid.  I think he'll be in the lineup on a pretty regular basis.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

faber says that abby to get wolanin, brisebois and diguiseppe too. they all have to clear wavers. good luck.

This post was from Canucks Army about a month ago:

Canucks send Räty down to Abbotsford, recall Di Giuseppe, paper down Podkolzin, Wolanin, Juulsen

I don't think Brisebois or Di Guiseppe are eligible to play in Abby for the playoffs but could be wrong about that.

Edited by Kootenay Gold