The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ugh.  That's really off board.   Way off board in some cases.   They should trade down if that's their target.   Do like his size.    But why is he the 19th on European NHL central scouting ranking?    That doesn't include the North Americans.   Elite prospects does have him at ten.   Button didn't have him in the first round.    At least it's not Pellika from Sweden ... we don't need another shrimp. 

The Russian factor is much bigger this year.  Very few scouts have seen the Russians live over the last year.

His rankings are all over the place as reflects this year of the draft with a lot of good players through the first round and the lack of scouts familiarity with him.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that’s the plan? Shimashev has the highest ceiling of any D in the draft. We could get him in the late teens and collect more picks too. 

Just means we won't see him for a couple years which is likely at that range anyways.   I like his size, could be our Cernak? 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The Russian factor is much bigger this year.  Very few scouts have seen the Russians live over the last year.

His rankings are all over the place as reflects this year of the draft with a lot of good players through the first round and the lack of scouts familiarity with him.

Makes sense.   Not sure what sort of inside scoop we have on him.   Elite prospects is the only one I could find with him at the range we are picking.   Maybe he's our next EP, if that's the case we better stop talking about it, in case other teams start noticing too lol.    He makes me very nervous.   Given we have some known commodities right around where we are picking. 

Edited by IBatch

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

honestly i don't care who they draft.. i expect based on the last 15 years of drafting we'll likely get a bust so i dont have high hopes and if it works out i'll be a bonus. lets just assume podz doesn't turn into a significant player we are batting .400 drafting in top 10  and prolly sub .100 anything outside of top 10 in terms of regulars that developed and played for the canucks and not other organization and even if we include the rare few we prolly still close to .100.. i mean the canucks have the fewest man game played and points from their draft picks in the last 15 years and it's not even close.. excluding seattle and vegas.. so they might as well ask maggie the monkey to draft coz she seemed to have higher success rate than our scouts

Our "top ten" highest pick has been a #5. And I'd say Petey's turning out just fine. Hughes too.

Can I see your sources/some stats or graphs to compare please/thanks? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Our "top ten" highest pick has been a #5. And I'd say Petey's turning out just fine. Hughes too.

15 years will include all six of MG drafts. 

Maybe Nonis last one too.   I loved the MG era, was a great time to be a fan.    Really we should only be looking at the Corey Schnieder trade onward.     Bet if we did, we'd look pretty decent for sure.     Can't expect a multiple presidents trophy and perrenial division winner to be drafting a lot of players.   More than he managed probably, but  Horvat was a big win, and Co-Ho wasn't too bad either.   So when he got the chance's he made the best of his higher picks.  

EP and QHs are skating their way into the HHOF right now.   And if we are being perfectly fair,  Forsling,  Hutton, McAan and others are still in the league, and the trade trees means we got a bunch of games from Pearson and Guddy correct?   Bear also far outperformed the average second rounder in "games played" and Vey was right around average too.   Not agreeing that was smart.   But it is what it is.   

Games played are just a quick glance look too.   Of course games played by EP or QHs,  are way more important, then ones played by Hutton, JV, Gaudette etc. 

And finally, know that Vegas is a special case.   They had exactly one drafted player on their Stanley Cup roster.   Right now our team needs to make smart trades to push us over the top, like Quin did.   Hopefully Hronek is one of those. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow someone's grumpy today.    Podz is actually pretty close to the par line already for a tenth overall.     People do need to temper their expectations a little, that I will agree with.   And if you include any of the MG years you're not going to get what you want.      

Wish we had the OTT scouts working for us for sure.   Or Tampa's. 

meh not grumpy just the past 15 years of drafting have taught me not to have any hopes and expectation. 

I dunno if podz is on par.. I mean if u group up all the 10th overall in the last 10-13 years and average them out the high ends and the bust then ya he’s prolly in the middle.

like I dunno how the scouts in Vancouver had a job for that long and no one ever tried to rectify the problem.. picking blindfolded prolly will have better success.. it’s prolly also partially the ahl development issue. We have no good position player outside the goalie came thru the ahl and have success. So maybe it’s not the picks we should just send the players to Europe to develop. 

38 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-ranking-decade-draft-results/

that's not the one i read from before that listed how many games played total from our draft picks and how many points total they produced since 2010 but iirc we are only ahead of the calgary flames

we have 2 players.. 3 if u include demko we have the 6th worse win/lost records in the last 10 years.. pretty embarassing ya? the 5 teams that we were barely better than.. the only team that still suck is arizona.. buffalo and ottawa is on the cupse of playoff and are loaded in prospects and potential elite players. new jersey is already one of the best team in the league. detroit maybe in the same boat as vancouver but at least their direction is clear.. tank and stock up. Vancouver is at the point where some of their core players demko/miller only have couple of elite prime years left.. their window to compete is almost closed before it even opens.

I was open to trade down to draft simashev but as it stands now he might not even be there at 11. Then again if him, reinbacher and ASP all go in the top 10 we would have some amazing options at 11.

Could contain: Person, Text, Page, Face, Head

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Wow someone's grumpy today.    Podz is actually pretty close to the par line already for a tenth overall.     People do need to temper their expectations a little, that I will agree with.   And if you include any of the MG years you're not going to get what you want.      

Wish we had the OTT scouts working for us for sure.   Or Tampa's. 

If you read his other posts, they are almost always negative even if the team does something right.  Kind of makes me wonder if he is a closet leafs fan.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

In the last 15 years we also drafted in the 1st round Bo, McCann, Bourdon, Hodgson, Podkolzin, Boeser, none of which are busts.

33 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

If you read his other posts, they are almost always negative even if the team does something right.  Kind of makes me wonder if he is a closet leafs fan.

If he's a Canuck fan he deserves a break too.    We've all been there at times (negative).   Hard not to.   Just hope for his and all our sakes, we have a terrific draft.   And our patience is rewarded with Allvin.   It's not like JB left the team with nothing.  

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

I was open to trade down to draft simashev but as it stands now he might not even be there at 11. Then again if him, reinbacher and ASP all go in the top 10 we would have some amazing options at 11.

Could contain: Person, Text, Page, Face, Head

This is a major perk of the 11OA - pretty much guarantees a guy we’d love to have. 

Drop down just a few spots and there’s some nice wingers but you start losing some of the upside / key position. 

I know scouting reports are usually glowing but the top of this draft all seem to be fairly wart-free beyond, “ Russian” and “might not be a 1st liner / top pairing player.”  Just clean, solid prospects. 

Edited by ilduce39

nucks are for sure considering dropping down 

at 15 one of the players linked to them will be available - Simashev, Wood, Danielson, Wallander, Barlow, (Benson less likely available)

they can trade with NSH

To VAN

Sissons 

15 OA

PIT 2023 2nd

To NSH

11 OA

Granlund

Rathbone

this solves many problems

1. Get 3C

2. Clear cap