The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure. Salary cap talk is a huge thief of joy for sports fandom.  

I understand griping about Eriksson or OEL even if I get tired of it after awhile.  But the fact we’re wishing some decent players - in their primes - out of town is a shame.

My favourite is the do whatever it takes to dump them mind set. Funny part about that is those spaces will be filled regardless. Will that make the team better? Will we replace them with guys that we will be saying the same things about later down the road? 

It really is a shame because there becomes a general census of who these players are. They become labeled. It’s just really negative and creates a bad vibe. 

That said Myers needs to get outta town :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah. I’ve been hoping the Canucks would take an offseason to catch their breath since before the OEL trade. 

I hope they don’t force anything - but it’s difficult to really predict where they’re coming from.  What kind of futures are they willing to burn vs how confident are they in our depth pieces like Brisebois, Wolanin and Juulsen.  Or Dries and Raty for that matter at 3C. 

It’s obvious they want to compete next year.  However, they have been fairly patient in some deals and look rushed in others. Can’t see them standing pat - but will they go for the bargain bin or make a splash?  

I feel like a hype man for Canucks media here - but it’s super interesting if you don’t mind disappointment. ::D

I hope it's just bargains. 

I've questioned at times whether our management group is opportunistic or simply impatient. It's possible they're both. But the impatient but doesn't really help if it drives them into making shortsighted decisions, I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping we just tinker with depth, I'd be fine going into next season with largely the same group intact with no clear cut upgrades. But then again, I'm not a dreamer who thinks we'll be contenders next season. I reckon we'll be competitive but more in a vying for a wildcard spot or third divisional spot sort of way. Could very well end up in no man's land again. 

Turning over the roster was always going to take more than a single offseason, but given out cap constraints there's a strong chance it'll be more like three or four offseasons imo. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am happy with the Hronek trade.  I am getting a little tired of talking about the salary cap.  I know it plays a huge role.  But at the end of the day, I am a hockey fan and I want to watch the most talented players possible entertain me and, hopefully, win.  I think Hronek will be one of the best rhd we have had and I look forward to watching him.  

It is boring when any time someone talks about a player, all of these armchair gm's chime in with how he has "negative value" because of his contract.  I agree with some of it, but it still takes a lot of the fun out of hockey talk.  

People have said both Brock Boeser and Connor Garland have "negative value", and these are Canucks "fans" btw.

Both players got limited pp time this year and finished 19th and 28th in even strength points for RW in the nhl.  That's right, of the 32 top, aka "1st line", RW in the league, they were 2 of them on a bad team.  They are the 17th and 43rd highest paid RW in the nhl.  So this leaves them with "negative value?"  I am not a gm, but this math doesn't add up to me.  While they may be a bit overpaid by some metrics, it seems they are about right by Even Strength points.  

I am a Canucks fan and I am very excited about the team next year.  You can find negatives, but there are many things to be pumped about.

Go Canucks Go!

What! the media is saying they have negative value! How dare you do some research and step on that opinion. Too many poster here just repeat what the media states. Both players do not have negative value. For some reason people believe only one team is going to go after these players. There will be many teams asking about these two in trade, and some will try to out bid the other for their services. Yes the GM's know the Canucks are in cap trouble, but they are also competing against each other. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

If that’s the case then why do we cater towards Pettersson and Hughes’s needs wand wants rather than doing what’s best for this team? 

This team is nowhere near ready to compete yet management is trading 1st round picks for other teams expendables just so we can play an extra 3 weeks in April. Tell me, what bottom 10 team in recent memory you ever see become buyers at the TDL. No draft capital, no blue chip prospects, overpaid wingers, overpaid defenseman, underperforming core guys, no quality defenseman significant enough to be a contributing factor after Hughes, no cap space.

So we go and get Hronek who’s not a top pairing defenseman but was played like

one due to how incredibly shallow Detroit’s defense was. He’s not a two way defenseman, he had a defensive defenseman babysit him in Maata back in Detroit, and he has one of the worst GSVA’s for defenseman the last 3 years.

We are retooling rather than doing what’s right and beneficial for the team because we’re letting two star players dictate decisions. No team has retooled and gotten as far as competing for the cup. It’s not worked before, it’s not going to work again. All it does is puts us in perpetual mediocrity. We just went 8 years of retooling with Benning and now we’re doing the same thing. Horvat = Trading Kesler. Hronek = Acquiring Gudbranson and trading McCann and picks.

How are we catering to those two? We have a Core(1C,1D,1G) and are in the midst of building a supporting cast for said Core. The clock is already ticking on building around these guys. The only reason for a rebuild is if you do not believe these guys can do the job. 

I think in the past, this is the part of the rebuild we have failed in the past. Did we build an adequate supporting cast for Nazzy and Bert? or The Sedins? 

We are actually in the midst of a transition from JB to JR's idea of a winning team. WE ARE IN TRANSITION! Meaning there is no finished product and plenty of work to do. I am just glad that they are seeking out similar aged players to surround this group so that they can keep most of them together longer. 

Not sure why you can't see that this team is being constructed different then the past. I think if you were a little more patient, you will see what this new regime is trying to accomplish.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I just don't think this is the offseason to try and force things to plug holes when we can address areas next offseason as cap comes off organically. Which isn't to say management shouldn't be looking to explore options, but yeah. 

The Canucks likely to be most impacted by father time sooner than later are Miller and OEL but it's not worth rushing things to accommodate their age trajectory if being patient is the smarter play. 

I mean, guys like Graves and Mayfield could be interesting but they're also very much going to be in demand I'd reckon. I think the Kings find a way to keep Gavrikov considering what they spent on him. They don't strike me as a team looking to rent just yet. 

I think the smartest thing to do is take advantage of an opportunity when it arises. Why wait? Management isn't going to foolishly over pay and so far they have proven that. I think you are thinking "in a perfect world" scenario which is a bit unrealistic.

3 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

Getting a top elite RHD the teams biggest weakness that absolutely killed the team for years especially because Myers played all his minutes and something extremely rare and in very high demand across the league was a great deal for the organization!

It's not like they gave up a top 5 or 10 pick either and there's a good chance whoever they took would take many years when nows the time with.this core and who knows if that 1st rd pick even becomes a decent player at some point.

Here you got a proven RHD with big upside already there's no waiting and hoping that in the crapshoot draft here he's the real deal.

Also what kind of foolish mindset thinking we don't want more elite star players vecause they're too expensive!? Lol that argument is absolutely ridiculous and foolishness at the highest level.

The way I see it, it's only the annoying haters and constant complainers who are just dying to whine and complain and feel sorry for themselves that are bashing this trade.

This team is far better than their record was last season and Hronek will not only make them much stronger but will also be replacing the teams biggest detriment Myers so it's double good and will also help the disastrous penalty kill which will also make a big difference for them.

Now a 3rd line centre and a healthy Mikheyev and a couple other good tweaks and young players getting better with great coaching and time this team will only be going up for years to come and will be much better than all the Negative Nancy's love to claim.

image.gif.2b074b4b0a7a7f21b9d9f0a5070aed18.gif

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

Getting a top elite RHD the teams biggest weakness that absolutely killed the team for years especially because Myers played all his minutes and something extremely rare and in very high demand across the league was a great deal for the organization!

It's not like they gave up a top 5 or 10 pick either and there's a good chance whoever they took would take many years when nows the time with.this core and who knows if that 1st rd pick even becomes a decent player at some point.

Here you got a proven RHD with big upside already there's no waiting and hoping that in the crapshoot draft here he's the real deal.

Also what kind of foolish mindset thinking we don't want more elite star players vecause they're too expensive!? Lol that argument is absolutely ridiculous and foolishness at the highest level.

The way I see it, it's only the annoying haters and constant complainers who are just dying to whine and complain and feel sorry for themselves that are bashing this trade.

This team is far better than their record was last season and Hronek will not only make them much stronger but will also be replacing the teams biggest detriment Myers so it's double good and will also help the disastrous penalty kill which will also make a big difference for them.

Now a 3rd line centre and a healthy Mikheyev and a couple other good tweaks and young players getting better with great coaching and time this team will only be going up for years to come and will be much better than all the Negative Nancy's love to claim.

That’s the problem though. Hronek is not an elite top defenseman. That’s my whole problem with this trade.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes he is. That’s why this trade is a steal. Hronek is elite . 

I do hope you’re right. If Hronek does become an elite defenseman for us I will gladly eat shit. I’m not going to hope he fails just so I can be like “I told you so”.

Nothing will convince me this was the right trade to make right now, but we’ll see how it looks a year or So. I do hope to again come back to this thread and just laugh at myself

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

On 5/16/2023 at 5:11 PM, Baggins said:

I prefer to improve by any and all means rather simply sitting back and crossing my fingers hoping on magic beans.

Backing yourself in a corner and giving away your assets to try to remain just above terrible is a poor plan though.

18 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is a good contract. It's as simple as that. He's a great goaltender who, if given a better defensive structure in front of him and a couple of upgrades in the defense corps, should be vying for the Vezina annually. Demko came in 7th in Vezina voting in 2020-2021. 

Gibson has never won the Vezina, neither have Markstrom, Grubauer or Ullmark. None of them have won a Cup either. 

Frankly, out of the 15 that feature above Demko, the majority have the benefit of a far superior defense than anything the Canucks have iced in a decade. 

In Demko's best year he was 7th in voting... got it. "If" he plays better he "should" be vying for the Vezina... yet he hasn't. I'm not saying that he isn't a good goaltender, because he is, but this is a good example of over inflating his worth. Is he better than Markstrom? No. Com' on. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

That’s the problem though. Hronek is not an elite top defenseman. That’s my whole problem with this trade.

What would a 17th overall pick get us? My guess is not a top talent and more likely a secondary type player in the likes of Myers, Garland, Boeser, Beauvillier, that wouldnt be ready for a few years. So why not get that player now? 

I havent seen Hronek play much at all but what I did notice was that he knew what he was going to do with the puck once it was on his stick and this was very calming for the play.

He has poise

I get the whole stock the prospects but the team has a good core with only 1 troublesome contract in OEL. And even then he hasnt played for the canucks when they had a good defensive system. next year will be interesting to see how he performs. 

If the canucks arent rebuilding they need to nake these kinds of trades

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wanless said:

What would a 17th overall pick get us? My guess is not a top talent and more likely a secondary type player in the likes of Myers, Garland, Boeser, Beauvillier, that wouldnt be ready for a few years. So why not get that player now? 

I havent seen Hronek play much at all but what I did notice was that he knew what he was going to do with the puck once it was on his stick and this was very calming for the play.

He has poise

I get the whole stock the prospects but the team has a good core with only 1 troublesome contract in OEL. And even then he hasnt played for the canucks when they had a good defensive system. next year will be interesting to see how he performs. 

OEL, Myer, Boeser, Beau and Garland are all problematic contracts that are significantly over-valued.  Miller''s is likely to become quite problematic in 3-4 years.  This isn't a one piece problem it is an upside down salary structure, overspending on non elite wingers and objectively bad Defenceman that still lacks size, speed and skill at those positions.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Wanless said:

He has poise

They could develop depth. A 17th overall is not nothing.

21 hours ago, Odd. said:

If that’s the case then why do we cater towards Pettersson and Hughes’s needs wand wants rather than doing what’s best for this team? 

This team is nowhere near ready to compete yet management is trading 1st round picks for other teams expendables just so we can play an extra 3 weeks in April. Tell me, what bottom 10 team in recent memory you ever see become buyers at the TDL. No draft capital, no blue chip prospects, overpaid wingers, overpaid defenseman, underperforming core guys, no quality defenseman significant enough to be a contributing factor after Hughes, no cap space.

So we go and get Hronek who’s not a top pairing defenseman but was played like

one due to how incredibly shallow Detroit’s defense was. He’s not a two way defenseman, he had a defensive defenseman babysit him in Maata back in Detroit, and he has one of the worst GSVA’s for defenseman the last 3 years.

We are retooling rather than doing what’s right and beneficial for the team because we’re letting two star players dictate decisions. No team has retooled and gotten as far as competing for the cup. It’s not worked before, it’s not going to work again. All it does is puts us in perpetual mediocrity. We just went 8 years of retooling with Benning and now we’re doing the same thing. Horvat = Trading Kesler. Hronek = Acquiring Gudbranson and trading McCann and picks.

AMEN - Brother !

(P.S.: Short term Think = Short term Results!)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1