The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] which winger(s) would you keep?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

[Poll] which winger(s) would you keep?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never been a fan of selling low.

It's possible that the Boeser we saw in his rookie season is the outlier and what we have now is exactly who BB is....but I think it's worth one more shot to see if he can rediscover that season 1 form....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Making no assumptions on potential trade returns, who do you want the Canucks to invest in for another season?

Unfortunately the potential trade returns are the only thing that matters to me at this point. They are all redundant to an extent so I just want to trade whoever gets the best return and not have to pay to move them.

If all returned the same I would keep Boeser as he has the highest ceiling and is clearly an incredible human being.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I've got a feeling that Beauvillier's cold streak to end the season is a sign of things to come. 9 points in 22 games from March onward is a bit concerning for me. While I'm not convinced Boeser will ever be the 40-goal guy I dreamed of, I still think he has potential to be a solid 2nd line winger who can score 55-65 points and maybe 30+ goals if he can get his touch back.

Garland is a hard one to read--when he's hot, he looks like a high-end 2nd liner capable of 65 points, but when he's cold, he looks like a nervous mouse, scurrying around without actually accomplishing anything.

I voted to keep Garland and Boeser, but honestly, I've made my peace with the idea of losing any or all of these guys.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Keep Boeser. His value is as low as it has ever been, but we have seen him play really well during different periods throughout his time here. Give him another go. 

Garland and/or Beau are the ones I'd move. Garland has upside, but man he can be frustrating at times to watch. Maybe just paired with the wrong players, but so hot or cold. 

Glad to see CDC aligns with me.

At the start of this season I wanted to trade Brock so badly. He was one of the worst defensive players in the league and we'd given him too many excuses. Then Rick comes in (hopefully to help Garland revamp his game) and go figure Boeser goes on a tear, 20 games at PPG pace, steals the 2nd line wing spot and honestly wins the "eye test" in my books - he was (for the first time in his career IMO) controlling the play and pushing the offence, not just being a drifter and scorer.

Beauvillier comes in and scores like crazy but is playing with Petey and Kuzmenko. Then he gets bumped around the lineup when we struggle and he completely disappears. Doesn't generate much by himself, he's still young of course but I don't think his ceiling is very high and he doesn't do much else. Honestly reminds me of a poor man's Boeser.

Then there's Garland who's a tough one to watch. Fan favourite, plays the right way, playoff-type guy, great forechecker which is what Rick wants, but man does he suck offensively, just so snake-bitten and he doesn't do much else, doesn't kill penalties particularly well (despite being out there), and his 5M cap hit hurts for a guy who should cost us 3M or so. That's not a massive difference, but it adds up when your team is built on guys playing 1-2M under their caps.

When we have Kuzmenko at 5.5M playing like a 6-7M guy, Mikheyev at a similar price playing like a 5-6M guy and PDG playing like a 2-3M guy, we have so many guys lifting their game, but also, far too many wingers. Our 3rd line shouldn't consist of Beauvillier (4M) - Dries (1M) - Garland (5M). 10M for a dreadful 3rd line is a joke. That's where we need to focus this off-season.

For me, at a bare minimum, one guy has to go. Either Beauvillier or Garland. Ideally, if I was GM I'd get rid of both of them. Attach picks to them, get a B or C grade prospect back, I don't care, we can do damage with that 9M in cap space. If we can somehow get a 3rd line center with one/both of them, lovely, but I doubt it. I'd like to think they have some minor positive value but if not, send away one of our many 3-4th round picks.

With that cap space we can acquire a proper 3C and for me I'd go hunting after one of the big defenceman UFAs. This team would be so much stronger if we had solid NHL top-4 defencemen and a bunch of younger, cheaper wingers, as opposed to expensive wingers and kids playing on our defence mixed in with old elephants. Look at Florida right now - that is how you build a team - defence out. Draft a star in Ekblad, surround him with a shutdown veteran like Gudas, acquire another puck mover in Montour and somehow get a steal puck mover in Forsling. Look at Carolina's defence - a top-4 not a single Canuck forward would be able to beat one-on-one. Look at Vegas' top-4 and how big and mean they all are. We need to improve our top-4. We've got Hughes and Hronek, that's 50% there. One more defenceman and we're almost there, and all it takes is shifting these useless wingers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I’ve said it before but my opinion hasn’t changed: you keep the ones hardest to move.  

They’re all good, young-ish players on fair contracts.  But if we need the space you trade the guy easiest / or brings back the best return.

For discussions sake I still think it’s Brock-Garland-Beau in terms of overall skill - but that’s also their cap hits. Brock is a good fit in the top 6, and might still have another level now as he works through his father’s passing.  Garland can drive a middle 6 line at even strength and his scrappiness is a plus.  Beauvillier looks like a nice complimentary piece in the top 9 and has the cheapest, shortest contract.  

If we had the room, I’d be happy to keep all 3.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d keep Boeser only because he really seemed to gel really well with Miller when RT came in as coach.

Then Canucks will have (hopefully) 2 scoring lines going.  EP+ Kuz and Miller + Boeser.

• Thanks 1

Option 4… they are all the same, meh.  It is like asking which mayonnaise sandwich on white bread do you want.

Trade value and cap hits are always part of the equation.  The only time that ceases to be an evident truth is when you become GM of the Vancouver Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

at least mikheyev's speed can make up for boeser's lack of it. could be the perfect wingers for miller.

an abrasive winger for petey and kuz line should work wonders.

can't see any combinations that works good for a 3rd line. if pods makes 3rd line what linemates would work best with him?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

at least mikheyev's speed can make up for boeser's lack of it. could be the perfect wingers for miller.

an abrasive winger for petey and kuz line should work wonders.

can't see any combinations that works good for a 3rd line. if pods makes 3rd line what linemates would work best with him?

getting 10 mil in cap space is the only way to ensure that the right pieces can be signed here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Unfortunately the potential trade returns are the only thing that matters to me at this point. They are all redundant to an extent so I just want to trade whoever gets the best return and not have to pay to move them.

If all returned the same I would keep Boeser as he has the highest ceiling and is clearly an incredible human being.

Totally agree, whichever one doesn't require a sweetener and yields the best return.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Beau might be the easiest to gain a pick at the draft given his good numbers after the trade 1year left no ?

Boeser is still trading him on a sell low state.. best if he has a good year and flip for a pick if we're not in the playoffs.. fingers crossed of course he plays better..

Garland definitely is on the sell low stage as of last year, if we could get a C or D prospect mid grade take that and run (clear cap gain a prospect) or add a B grade like Bones for a legit player maybe 3C/pK guy sub 3m some term 

If I was a betting man.. Beau gets best value (right now) if you can only pick one. Hope the other two play better and flip during the season..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Glad to see CDC aligns with me.

At the start of this season I wanted to trade Brock so badly. He was one of the worst defensive players in the league and we'd given him too many excuses. Then Rick comes in (hopefully to help Garland revamp his game) and go figure Boeser goes on a tear, 20 games at PPG pace, steals the 2nd line wing spot and honestly wins the "eye test" in my books - he was (for the first time in his career IMO) controlling the play and pushing the offence, not just being a drifter and scorer.

Beauvillier comes in and scores like crazy but is playing with Petey and Kuzmenko. Then he gets bumped around the lineup when we struggle and he completely disappears. Doesn't generate much by himself, he's still young of course but I don't think his ceiling is very high and he doesn't do much else. Honestly reminds me of a poor man's Boeser.

Then there's Garland who's a tough one to watch. Fan favourite, plays the right way, playoff-type guy, great forechecker which is what Rick wants, but man does he suck offensively, just so snake-bitten and he doesn't do much else, doesn't kill penalties particularly well (despite being out there), and his 5M cap hit hurts for a guy who should cost us 3M or so. That's not a massive difference, but it adds up when your team is built on guys playing 1-2M under their caps.

When we have Kuzmenko at 5.5M playing like a 6-7M guy, Mikheyev at a similar price playing like a 5-6M guy and PDG playing like a 2-3M guy, we have so many guys lifting their game, but also, far too many wingers. Our 3rd line shouldn't consist of Beauvillier (4M) - Dries (1M) - Garland (5M). 10M for a dreadful 3rd line is a joke. That's where we need to focus this off-season.

For me, at a bare minimum, one guy has to go. Either Beauvillier or Garland. Ideally, if I was GM I'd get rid of both of them. Attach picks to them, get a B or C grade prospect back, I don't care, we can do damage with that 9M in cap space. If we can somehow get a 3rd line center with one/both of them, lovely, but I doubt it. I'd like to think they have some minor positive value but if not, send away one of our many 3-4th round picks.

With that cap space we can acquire a proper 3C and for me I'd go hunting after one of the big defenceman UFAs. This team would be so much stronger if we had solid NHL top-4 defencemen and a bunch of younger, cheaper wingers, as opposed to expensive wingers and kids playing on our defence mixed in with old elephants. Look at Florida right now - that is how you build a team - defence out. Draft a star in Ekblad, surround him with a shutdown veteran like Gudas, acquire another puck mover in Montour and somehow get a steal puck mover in Forsling. Look at Carolina's defence - a top-4 not a single Canuck forward would be able to beat one-on-one. Look at Vegas' top-4 and how big and mean they all are. We need to improve our top-4. We've got Hughes and Hronek, that's 50% there. One more defenceman and we're almost there, and all it takes is shifting these useless wingers.

We've been missing those sub 3m guys for our third line for years. Hopefully Podz and Hogz come in and they can find a -3m $ center for them have some money for another D (defensive) even if we have to keep Myers for his last year move out that 9m with Garland and Beau would be those two guys there. Way more balanced next year.. even spread out the cheaper guys how ever it works

Podz Petey Kuzmenko 

Hogz Miller Boeser

Mcdon xxx Aman/Joshua 

Pdg xxx Joshua/Aman

Fix the D 

Hughes Hornek 

OEL Myers...

Breeze?  xxx

• Cheers 1

Just chipping in...

Looks like all corners have been covered. 

In a ideal world they would have to make plans for how they want to line up next season. 

Beau was a good supplimentary piece for Petey and Kuz, while he was on their line, while adding good forchecking. Dare I add, he could perhaps be to Petey and Kuz, what Burrows was to the Sedins (maybe not quite, but..)

Brocks contract probably make a trade slightly harder or a return lesser. He has improved his overall play and the big question is if he can stay healthy. 

And that brings is to Garland. 
He seems to by default ending up on the 3rd line, and his Caphit is too much for 3rd line duties.
He also has the longest contract, so with a longer term view, it would probably be adviceable to let Garland go first, followed by a tosh of the coin between Beau and Brock. 

If they haven't pencilled Beau in with Kuz and Petey, he could/should be first out (or between him and Garland) as he slumped, after being taken off the top line. 

Guess its contract length v production outsidr the top line...