The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] which winger(s) would you keep?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

[Poll] which winger(s) would you keep?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Ted Lasso changed the title to [Poll] which winger(s) would you keep?

This is the year Boeser shows what he is really made of. Can he get back to more of his scoring prowess? No more excuses, he needs to show what he's got. With his improved defensive ability though, I think he is still a decent top six forward, just maybe not at his current salary rate.

If Boeser bombs, and Beau asks for a respectable, fair contract, he will be the guy we keep.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Would like to see what Boeser and Garland can do this year, with a full training camp under the new coaching staff.

Not interested in selling low on either of them, with the chance to see them take a step somewhere else. They’re both on reasonable contracts for a top 6 /scoring role, and in their earlier prime years.

• Cheers 3

Not particularly attached to any of them and would move all three for the right price or to dump cap if the right deal came along. 

If I had to pick one I'd say Boeser because his term is shorter, I'm not keen on keen on extending Beau as I think he should be utilized to move cap out. Garland is a useful player but has more term, I'd prefer the potential cap flex. We wait and see how Boeser performs next season and then potentially flip him at the deadline or next offseason if we want to change things up, he'd be a low commitment piece on an expiring contract.

• Upvote 1

Boeser scored at a .74 ppg pace last year.    He's a .78 ppg career RW which is generously stated a top winger in the league no matter how people want to play it.  The canucks were 12th in league scoring on the backs of career years from Hughes, Petey and Horvat.  31 of our 270 goals for came from horvat meaning that without his production we realistically scored more middle of the road.  Taking away Boesers 18 goals as well drops us down to about a 20th place team for scoring in the league.  Horvat is gone fine; unsustainable numbers and all.  Boeser being gone further erodes our scoring ability.  Replacing that level of production will not be easy.

A more versatile and useful all around RW might be more beneficial in keeping possession numbers up and improving our defensive game as well.  Ab may have another gear and be a 60+ point winger without issue playing in Boesers seat or FT with petey but I haven't seen it.

Garland, I love him.  If he was even Beauvillier's size he'd be a top 6 winger on any team in the league but people want to harp on his size and suggest that somehow he is not worth his contract, when his 5v5 production is still some of the best in the league.  he is uber versatile and he has the type of engine that just doesn't quit.  You can not replace that level of work ethic or drive.

There's no easy answer to this.  For pure value right now, Boeser and Garland are the best to keep. 

Boeser may finally be injury free with something to prove.  .74 ppg last season will be vital in helping this team maintain its trajectory.  

Garland you know what you have with him and now Tocchet gets hm for a full year

Beauvillier has the easier contract to move and as such is the odd man out.

BUT!!!

For all the harping people do.  

Boeser would be the smartest to move out because he would generate the best return.  Stop making insane threads about how nobody will touch him without a 1st, or a 2nd attached.  FAR worse contracts with FAR worse production have been moved for actual value.

Same goes with Garland, his contract is not that bad at all.  

There's no easy answer to this.  For myself, I risk it and keep garland and Beauvillier and wish Boeser the best.  but I see no harm nor foul in releasing any of them, with AB being the most obvious trade target based on his age and cap hit

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Beau 

But i kinda think we are gonna keep Brock. I think him and Petey are close and I could see him having a rebound year. 

Yeah, their friendship weighs into it a bit for me as well.

• Cheers 2

Boeser is a slow footed defensively lazy goal scorer who doesn’t score goals anymore but has turned into solid playmaker and board player though is fast or physical enough to be effective forechecker.  He can be a decent player in a sheltered role but not worth his contract. 
Beau is a small speedy 18-20 goal scorer who provides some forecheck pressure is not consistently on special teams, is not trusted defensively by his coach and has not progressed over his career. He is what he is, not great, not terrible.  A player that also plays in a somewhat sheltered role and makes a little more than should.  Shouldn’t judge him solely on the brief hot-streak he had when he came over and they pumped his tires by putting him with Pettey, look at him as the sheltered third line payer he was at end of year. 

Garland is tiny, not very fast, suspect defensively but draws penalties, scores very well 5v5.  Also plays limited special teams but doesn’t require the sheltered roles of the other two. Contract is fair value to slightly over. 
Hoglander is coming. 
If we have a spot for Hoglander I would like to see all 3 go but I guess in that group, Garland seems the most useful and may be hardest to trade given length of contract, so if had to keep one that is him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Interesting results

Boes' big cap hit has gotta go. maybe give him until the TDL to perform up to it, if not take what we can get without retaining.

Beau is like our new Pearson... can slot in anywhere and be OK. Only 1 year left on his term though so unless any decent offers come gotta keep him.

Garland is a good small player. If we get an offer for him I could see him shipped out, especially since he has a chunk of term left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a perfect world, we move all 3, without giving up assets.

For me, I keep Boeser. I don't have a lot of hope for him personally, but I think there's a good chance on getting some decent assets for him next year when his contract is expiring.

Garland I don't want to see be mediocre for another 3 years, so he's the guy i'd move first if I'm able.

Beau is another guy who's easily replaceable, being on an expiring deal should help make him more of an attractive player than Garland.

• Thanks 1

Brock: He has been through a lot, and obviously hasn't built his career as he had hoped. The key to his play will be determined largely by how well he manages to move on and leave the negative past behind him. If he is successful, I do believe he is capable of being a real impact player again. As it stands, he really didn't have as bad of a season as many are saying... although he clearly needs to shore up his defensive game.

Garland: I just don't get why fans and media alike insist he needs to be moved. He's a bit inconsistent, sure. He's also small. But he plays with energy and passion, is more skilled than some give him credit for, and isn't really THAT expensive. His lack of size is typically mitigated when he sidesteps or spins off checks, so while still not ideal, I don't view him being smaller as a significant detriment. I'd like to keep him if we could, and absolutely so if it means we would have otherwise required to give up a sweetener to move him.

Beauvillier: Happy with what we saw. But that is a small sample size with no guarantee he will improve further. To me, he makes the most sense to move because both his production and stock are likely higher now than it probably will ever be, and he almost makes as much as Garland does, He may also hold the highest trade value of the 3. Not necessarily because he's the best of the 3, but his contract is the most palatable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Making no assumptions on potential trade returns, who do you want the Canucks to invest in for another season?

With so many wingers 1. Kuzmenko 5.5 million , Boeser 6.6 , Mikheyev 4.7,  Beauvillier 4.1, Garland 4.9, Podkolzin RFA

Joshua 825 hope they resign 1.8 X 3 yrs,  Di Giuseppe 775 X 2 yrs,  Hoglander RFA

I would try and trade Boeser even retain 1.1 million.. He is worth 5.2-- 5.5  million..I would rather retain some salary  then buyout  contract then it goes against cap for years..Last season GP74 G 18-- 55 PTS

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1