The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Not Panic -- Cap Situation is NOT that Dire

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman and Pearson are gone. 100% on LTI 

Please cite your source for them being ruled out for next season.

Pearson's most recent public statement about playing next year...
"There’s timelines in my mind that I would like to hit, and hopefully we do," Pearson said. "It would make everything way better. It’s still such a slow process that I don’t have a specific time or date."
"I'm still going to approach this summer like I'm a hockey player" 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

New coach, new systems.

Add:  Ilya Mikheyev (top 6 forward)

Add:  Filip Hronek (top 4 defenceman)

Add:  Demko playing like a #1 goalie and not one that was putting up a .875 save %

The team will definitely be better than they were this past year.  How much better?  Who knows.

What I do know is the last time management was impatient and desperately looking to dump cap when we didn't NEED to, we ended up acquiring a defenceman that many consider a serious anchor on the blueline that is still locked in for 4 more years at $7M+ AAV.

A full season with Hronek will be great.. Hronek solid #2 D man plays PK - PP and can log 25 mins with solid 200 foot game with great skating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Please cite your source for them being ruled out for next season.

Pearson's most recent public statement about playing next year...
"There’s timelines in my mind that I would like to hit, and hopefully we do," Pearson said. "It would make everything way better. It’s still such a slow process that I don’t have a specific time or date."
"I'm still going to approach this summer like I'm a hockey player" 

Guys have to say they’re trying to come back. They want to get paid. They’re both done. LTI for sure. Zero chance either of them plays. 

4 hours ago, MattWN. said:

PDG in the top 6 too 

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Just brutal lol. I can ice a cap compliant team too with my buddies from high school. Hmmm, I wonder if "The pimple", is still around. Man that kid was good. He'd look awesome on Petey's wing, and he'd probably sign for cheap. :lol:

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OP is making this thread as a response to what the conversation has been about for the last two months.  

The more casual fans as well as a lot of our media, are under the impression that we are forced to make a move to simply come in under the cap.  

OP is not saying that we shouldn't try and move some salary, but rather that we are not standing with a gun pointed at our head like the media has made it sound.  

So this whole idea that 31 other teams are holding hands and looking at Allvin and demanding draft picks to take good players from us is ludicrous. 

Awesome post!

The 31 other teams be like ... ;)

CalmThickCob-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Dries was the top centre in Abbotsford when the Canucks ran into injury trouble last year so up he came.  It was a smart move by Allvin given the circumstances but in no way should he be considered a permanent solution.  He was signed to lead the baby Canucks until bona fide prospects are ready to take the lead.

He should be starting in Abbotsford in October

It was another Megna situation.  He's fine in the AHL but he's completely useless at the NHL level and really isn't an acceptable solution even as an injury replacement.

• There it is 1

8 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Some people argue that the Canucks should hang onto Myers and flip him at the TDL.   What is your take on that?

It could increase his value - especially if he somehow manages a resurgent season. But I believe if this team continues paying his 6m cap that it handcuffs management's ability to allocate where needed to start the season - like the 3c and a proper RD for Hughes. 

Yes, a top 6 winger could be moved, but I feel these same wingers at least contribute positively to the team, and that forward scoring depth was one of few positives last season. Selling high on Beauvillier seems the logical choice there, if we mist.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OP is making this thread as a response to what the conversation has been about for the last two months.  

The more casual fans as well as a lot of our media, are under the impression that we are forced to make a move to simply come in under the cap.  

OP is not saying that we shouldn't try and move some salary, but rather that we are not standing with a gun pointed at our head like the media has made it sound.  

So this whole idea that 31 other teams are holding hands and looking at Allvin and demanding draft picks to take good players from us is ludicrous. 

Thank you.  I think a lot of people are missing the point from my post.  Glad some of you get it.  

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think there may be a chance at surgery especially if the cap does go up another 3M. If it doesn’t the cap situation is tight enough that it makes it hard to make deals of significance. 
As said above having just enough cap to field the team we have is not great. Even with Hronek and a decent Demko we are in the mix for a WC, not a sure thing by any means and not built to go anywhere when there. 

1.5M to 2M instead of just 1M per Friedman - he asked if 3M was possible and was told no.  The escrow balance is nearly paid off so it wouldn't require to adjust the players' escrow.  He says teams were told the cap in a year would be around 87-88M - ie an increase of 4.5M to 5.5M from this year's 82.5M cap.  

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

It could increase his value - especially if he somehow manages a resurgent season. But I believe if this team continues paying his 6m cap that it handcuffs management's ability to allocate where needed to start the season - like the 3c and a proper RD for Hughes. 

Ive just never been a fan of shaking up the roster at the TDL especially if theyre winning.  historically, it seems like the conservative management types have a hard time doing that as well.

imo if you can, move your pending free agents sooner rather than later even though cap wise its much easier to do at the TDL. 

So for me, Myers and Beauvillier should be on the move, preferably before x mas roster freeze

8 hours ago, mll said:

1.5M to 2M instead of just 1M per Friedman - he asked if 3M was possible and was told no.  The escrow balance is nearly paid off so it wouldn't require to adjust the players' escrow.  He says teams were told the cap in a year would be around 87-88M - ie an increase of 4.5M to 5.5M from this year's 82.5M cap.  

There were some negotiations around it going on over the last weeks numbers between 1-4 M have been thrown around.  There were some concessions being negotiated over, I forget the details. 
‘Point is if the cap gives us some breathing room it makes making deals easier.  I doubt 1.5M is enough room to make much difference but 2-3 probably would. 

‘For instance the Boesser for RyJo proposal in another thread. If we had to eat an extra 1.3M cap but can move money off the wing into centre ice and add size at a more important position it is worth it but not possible if cap only goes up 1M. 

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This team is one of the maxed-capped teams in the league, and using LTIR to boot. 

mcfly GIF

Absolutely.   We are currently the tightest cap position in the league but we also have most spots filled. Some teams are tighter when you consider how much they need to sign. That being said, we are not in a good position, that is clear. 
The way we seem to work is short term solutions that give us long term inflexibility and hopefully we avoid more of those sorts of moves this off-season but when the goal is a mad dash to get close to a WC then short term thinking will continue to predominate. 
I think people underestimate the disadvantage the constant LTIR puts us at deadline and for making moves in season. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It was another Megna situation.  He's fine in the AHL but he's completely useless at the NHL level and really isn't an acceptable solution even as an injury replacement.

You don't watch hockey do you? The coaching staff must be completely useless too then, right? He was playing third line minutes, and played second unit power play time in games I watched.

10 hours ago, mll said:

Poolman was back skating towards the end of the season per Lalji.  He could be on/off LTIR all season.  

Poolman and Pearson will be on LTI from day one of the season. The players have to make effort to try and get well enough to play for insurance reasons. 

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yup. Dries, PDG, Juulsson, and other AHL level players were on the big club last season. And even with these AHL players, once we got a healthy Demko back and proper coaching, our core is so elite they carried the AHL guys. Our core was able to make AHL players look like NHL players while winning games. Just shows how great our core truly is. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1