The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blue Jackets to name Mike Babcock as head coach

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Good hire.  They need someone who is willing to hold Gaudreau and Laine accountable and bench them if they keep refusing to backcheck.

He's a bully and disgrace of a coach, total locker room cancer. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

League has already said Quenneville has not done enough to come back at least.

iirc Joel will have to have a chat with Bettman, prior to re-instatement.

However I'd say Gary let's him back in, if Joel asks.

They can't keep Quenville out too long, or it makes the rest of the 'punishment', to the team, look way too weak.-which it was.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's a bully and disgrace of a coach, total locker room cancer. 

He has had two former players hire him to coach after they retired.  There were no publicized issues until he tried to get Marner to stop floating and he cried about it instead of fixing what he needed to fix.

• Cheers 1

On 6/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, King Heffy said:

He has had two former players hire him to coach after they retired.  There were no publicized issues until he tried to get Marner to stop floating and he cried about it instead of fixing what he needed to fix.

He's a disgrace to the franchise, complete waste of oxygen. Franzen and Chelios both reported this total cancer before Marner issuse and Chelios roasted this thug criminal spittin chiclets

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

iirc Joel will have to have a chat with Bettman, prior to re-instatement.

However I'd say Gary let's him back in, if Joel asks.

They can't keep Quenville out too long, or it makes the rest of the 'punishment', to the team, look way too weak.-which it was.

When rumblings of him started the league squashed it with that statement. He's not coming back soon if at all.

Greg Wyshysnki: 

Quenneville has reportedly only done the off-ice work that the NHL has urged him to do, and "not enough" to be re-instated.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

The issue is, no matter what people feel about Babs, he is a world class coach and all statements point to him being a better overall coach and person as the bench boss of the Sask Huskies..

Only 2 seasons under .500, 1 stanley cup, 2 cup finals, a .608 coaching record in the regular season and . 549 in the playoffs

Every team he has taken over has essentially improved almost immediately.

He is walking in to a Jackets core of Laine, Sillinger, Johnson, Laine, Gaudreau, Foudy, Marchenko and Roslovic with a better seeming blue line than he's had since his last 3 years in Detroit with Werenski, Peeke, Boqvist and prospects in waiting such as Jiricek, McKown, Dumais, Cameron, Mateychuk and Cuelemans.  

This is without mentioning that the Jackets are about to draft one of Fantilli or Carlsson.

Babcock walking in to Columbus with THAT line up and THAT depth of youth and prospects is a man that can drive walking behind the cockpit of an F-1 racing machine and if he can tame it he is going to do amazing things with it.

Like him or hate him, I am now putting my money on the Jackets to have one of the best bounce back years in NHL history.  Easily a 25-30 point increase.

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

His a disgrace to the franchise, complete waste of oxygen. Franzen and Chelios both reported this total cancer before Marner issuse and Chelios roasted this thug criminal spittin chiclets

Apparently it's okay to bully and mistreat players if you don't like how they play.  No doubt he can get results but I dont like leaders who feel they have to humiliate and belittle people to get them going.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

When rumblings of him started the league squashed it with that statement. He's not coming back soon if at all.

Greg Wyshysnki: 

Quenneville has reportedly only done the off-ice work that the NHL has urged him to do, and "not enough" to be re-instated.

What does this mean?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Apparently it's okay to bully and mistreat players if you don't like how they play.  No doubt he can get results but I dont like leaders who feel they have to humiliate and belittle people to get them going.

What does this mean?

Meaning he’s only done the bare minimum. 

• elephant 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is, no matter what people feel about Babs, he is a world class coach and all statements point to him being a better overall coach and person as the bench boss of the Sask Huskies..

Only 2 seasons under .500, 1 stanley cup, 2 cup finals, a .608 coaching record in the regular season and . 549 in the playoffs

Every team he has taken over has essentially improved almost immediately.

He is walking in to a Jackets core of Laine, Sillinger, Johnson, Laine, Gaudreau, Foudy, Marchenko and Roslovic with a better seeming blue line than he's had since his last 3 years in Detroit with Werenski, Peeke, Boqvist and prospects in waiting such as Jiricek, McKown, Dumais, Cameron, Mateychuk and Cuelemans.  

This is without mentioning that the Jackets are about to draft one of Fantilli or Carlsson.

Babcock walking in to Columbus with THAT line up and THAT depth of youth and prospects is a man that can drive walking behind the cockpit of an F-1 racing machine and if he can tame it he is going to do amazing things with it.

Like him or hate him, I am now putting my money on the Jackets to have one of the best bounce back years in NHL history.  Easily a 25-30 point increase.

I agree with you, Babcock's style of coaching does produce immediate results, the issue is the impact on players long term. This isn't too different from hiring Tortorella, he too provided instant results for the Jackets but then they subsequently lost Bob, Panarin and Dubois in quick succession. I think he will get the young guys to buy-in but the interesting thing to see is whether he has learned anything from his exile and will choose a different route with some of the veterans on the team. If he doesn't and we hear some rumblings about player dissatisfaction then I wouldn't be surprised to see another significant exodus. Will be an interesting experiment to watch. 

• There it is 1

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Q and Bowman absolutely shouldn't work in the NHL again. I'm all for people getting second chances but some things don't deserve forgiveness and some things will lose you a second chance, covering up sexual assault is one of those things. 

I've read about some of what Babcock's done in the past, dude has been an absolute asshole and has seemingly abused players like Franzen in the past, but I'd still put that on a different level. Unfortunately Babcock likely isn't alone in that, he's just someone we know about because news and word have gotten out. I'd have been fine with Babcock never working in the NHL again too, I understand why folks would argue that, I'm not looking to minimize his past behaviour. But for me what Q and Bowman did was some next level shit. 

The fact the Hawks weren't punished properly is a travesty, they should have never had a 1st this year. 

Babcock is a psychopath so CBJ is in for a ride.

That kind of humans plan revenge etc and can wait ten years or more to get even.

They are a danger to have anywhere near an organisation.

If someone headhunting him they should replace that headhunter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Babcock is a psychopath so CBJ is in for a ride.

That kind of humans plan revenge etc and can wait ten years or more to get even.

They are a danger to have anywhere near an organisation.

If someone headhunting him they should replace that headhunter. 

Well, we'll see. There's no way Columbus doesn't know what they're getting into, he'll likely be observed pretty closely and they've likely spoken at length. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Well, we'll see. There's no way Columbus doesn't know what they're getting into, he'll likely be observed pretty closely and they've likely spoken at length. 

Yes, and I hope they know the difference between old school dumb nut or psychopath.

It’s very easy to fool NA hockey people with the right words resounding their own opinion about accountability etc..

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe he will go back to being like in his Spokane Chiefs days. The Columbus GM has only been GM for two years. But the team seems to be moving backwards. Not forwards.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, Gurn said:

If Babs is back, Quenville can't be far behind. :(

It can take decades for dinosaurs to die out.

Babcock should not be put in the same sentence as Quenneville. 

One was too harsh and mean to his players because he yelled at them, the other was complicit in a sexual exploitation coverup.