The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Players Will Not Extend in Calgary, Expected to be Traded

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He can want out all he wants. He’s a 50-60 point soft, selfish, toxic in the room winger who is paid 10.5 x 8 and he plays like the old man he is. He’s not going anywhere. Worst contract in the league by a lot. 

Now that OEL is gone, I agree.

Crazy part is that the contract hasn’t even kicked in yet.

Sounds like he WANTS to test free agency.

So in a year it's unlikely he'll resign here if we trade for him. He's definitely a flight risk or a very very expensive one year rental.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

26 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Adding a bunch of players to the market where teams are already desperate might actually help us out considering the OEL buyout.  There will be bargains

That said, we’re likely still trying to sell a winger so this might hurt us there unless Calgary is interested.

Could be a few one for one disgruntled player for disgruntled player deals too. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He can want out all he wants. He’s a 50-60 point soft, selfish, toxic in the room winger who is paid 10.5 x 8 and he plays like the old man he is. He’s not going anywhere. Worst contract in the league by a lot. 

Treeliving left a parting gift for Calgary. Much like Bennings parting gift to us.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Now that OEL is gone, I agree.

Crazy part is that the contract hasn’t even kicked in yet.

But is OEL’s contract really gone?
It’s been redefined, but it’s not actually “gone”. And not “gone” for eight years.

The Huberdeau thing though, man oh man that’s bad.

4 minutes ago, zimmy said:

But is OEL’s contract really gone?
It’s been redefined, but it’s not actually “gone”. And not “gone” for eight years.

The Huberdeau thing though, man oh man that’s bad.

You know what I meant.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Brock BOeser said:

Treeliving left a parting gift for Calgary. Much like Bennings parting gift to us.

Yup. Benning was our worst GM ever. And it’s hard to believe Treedying got another GM job after that Huberdough fiasco. He’s going to “Benning” the Leafs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Benning was our worst GM ever. And it’s hard to believe Treedying got another GM job after that Huberdough fiasco. He’s going to “Benning” the Leafs. 

I was definitely on the “Benning has to go” train, but even at the time I didn’t realize his moves had screwed us so badly we’d still be paying for them 8 years down the line.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I was definitely on the “Benning has to go” train, but even at the time I didn’t realize his moves had screwed us so badly we’d still be paying for them 8 years down the line.

Thank god we have smart gming agsin. Allvin knew he had to cut out the Benning rot. One big chuck of rot gone and two more to go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank god we have smart gming agsin. Allvin knew he had to cut out the Benning rot. One big chuck of rot gone and two more to go. 

I’m still ambivalent about current management. I wasn’t crazy keen on the hires going in and they haven’t done much to assuage me. I’m waiting for a bigger volume of work before I make a judgement.

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Calgary will have a lot of tough moves to make. They are essentially over the cap by just running it back.  

With so many key players wanting to jump ship would think they'll go the rebuild route.  

Winnipeg is delusional if they think they can remain competitive after moving Scheifele, PLD and Hellebuyck.  Calgary might just realise that they are better off to rebuild.  

It's moving cap without taking any back that's hard.  Here Calgary has some good assets to trade and they can take cap back to facilitate the trade.  

Winnipeg wants players - it's harder to get full value because they are removing good players from the roster of the acquiring team.  The improvement is more marginal for the team trading with Winnipeg because they are going to create a hole elsewhere in their lineup as Winnipeg wants to continue to compete.

If Calgary changes direction and accepts taking a step back they could do rather well.  Instead of moving the good players the acquiring team can keep the better players and dump a lesser player to make the cap work.  That has a different price tag.  

There's a lack of Ds on the market and Calgary has them - Zadorov, Hanifin, possibly Weegar, Tanev.  

Edited by mll

Wasn't all that many decades back, when it was hard to get any star to come to Vancouver.

It sucked, playing in a league that they really couldn't compete with.

Not a good sign for hockey.

Some markets are smaller, some in places that are not as "nice' as others, different tax structures.

All factors that will mess with the competitive balance of the league.

owners need to figure it out, before they go back to, haves, and have nots.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Does he make sense there tho?

Not yet. but their current 3rd pairing LD is either Brad Hunt or Kurtis MacDermid. 

Landeskog LTIR saves them 7 mill.

Maybe they won't spend as much on a player like OEL, but he could provide good insurance for a 2nd pairing if/when Byram goes down at any point.

20 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Not yet. but their current 3rd pairing LD is either Brad Hunt or Kurtis MacDermid. 

Landeskog LTIR saves them 7 mill.

Maybe they won't spend as much on a player like OEL, but he could provide good insurance for a 2nd pairing if/when Byram goes down at any point.

Avs didn't win a cup by making stupid moves.  That's a Benning type of move.