The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Players Will Not Extend in Calgary, Expected to be Traded

Kinda feeling like the western Canadian clubs are on the outside looking in for players lately with the Jets and Flames losing so many high profile players

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2665194

Add Calgary Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin to the growing list of players that could get dealt this summer.

All signs point to the blue-liner not wanting to sign an extension with the club, meaning a trade is likely, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Hanifin is in the final season of his contract with a $4.95-million cap hit and can become an unrestricted free agent in 2024.

The fifth overall pick in 2015, Hanifin is 6-3, skates well, and is only 26 years old, which could make him an appealing addition for several teams. He tallied 38 points this past season and a career-high 48 the campaign prior. His underlying numbers over the last three seasons have been stellar, buoyed by his excellent 2021-22 campaign.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

• Warhippy changed the title to [Report] Hanifin Will Not Extend in Calgary, Expected to be Traded
4 minutes ago, billabong said:

He’s American so he’ll probs request for a USA based team 

This is a trend im actually really happy with

considering how many good players are coming out of Vancouver

if this trend of players dictating the team continues

we're gonna have an avalanche of talent coming our way in 5+ years

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Hanafin was terrible away from Tanev. He’s a guy who can play top four minutes as long as he’s carried by a high end defensive minded D. Trouble with him is he’s not an offensive guy either. And he’s going to be a coming UFA in a year do some team will offer him an overpay. He’s a no for sure. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Yeah, it's interesting, made a thread about him the other day. But no, I don't think it's feasible as the cost to acquire him from a divisional rival in Calgary would be monstrous. He'll garner no shortage of interest, props on him for letting the Flames know well in advance so that they can get value for him. Last thing they need is another Gaudreau scenario where they lose a top player for nothing. 

I don't think I'd give up our 1st for Hanifin, we've made enough desperate moves and it'd really throw this team's prospect pool in the gutter if we end up trading away 3 high picks in one year, not to mention not having a 2nd next year too.

Calgary surely want some scoring help, their stars didn't produce and they need help up front in their top-6. 

As much as I love Boeser, I could really see him as a Flame in a swap with Hanifin. We'd probably have to add a depth defenceman to help their numbers, either Burroughs after re-signing (ouch) or Rathbone (again, I could see him having success as a Flame). It'd really hurt to have more ex-Canucks on that team but for once, we'd end up with the better player.

Hanifin would unlock this defence. He made one of the best shutdown pairings in the league with Tanev not long ago. He's still young, big and strong and a reliable two-way defenceman, not much offence but sound defensively which is what we need. He'd make the absolute perfect partner for Hronek - a very versatile pairing who could realistically play together for the next 5 years and really start to grow some chemistry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think I'd give up our 1st for Hanifin, we've made enough desperate moves and it'd really throw this team's prospect pool in the gutter if we end up trading away 3 high picks in one year, not to mention not having a 2nd next year too.

Calgary surely want some scoring help, their stars didn't produce and they need help up front in their top-6. 

As much as I love Boeser, I could really see him as a Flame in a swap with Hanifin. We'd probably have to add a depth defenceman to help their numbers, either Burroughs after re-signing (ouch) or Rathbone (again, I could see him having success as a Flame). It'd really hurt to have more ex-Canucks on that team but for once, we'd end up with the better player.

Hanifin would unlock this defence. He made one of the best shutdown pairings in the league with Tanev not long ago. He's still young, big and strong and a reliable two-way defenceman, not much offence but sound defensively which is what we need. He'd make the absolute perfect partner for Hronek - a very versatile pairing who could realistically play together for the next 5 years and really start to grow some chemistry.

If Calgary is willing to do a 1-1 swap with Boeser I'd be all over it, but I don't think Flames will do it unless we add picks or prospects. I would consider Rathbone cause I think we have other D's in our pool that might move ahead of him.

If the start is our first round pick Canucks should hang up the phone. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

It'll likely be a sign and trade with the single year left on his contract. He'll hold all the power on where he goes and as stated above it will likely be a US destination. No reason to even come up with proposals of him coming to Vancouver because it's never going to happen. 

• elephant 1

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm sure that Calgary wants a 2023 1st and a top prospect in return.  I don't think I would do that.  Rather just sign Graves for free as a UFA.  He fits what we need more which is a defensive Dman who can be our #1 Pk'er...

Is it worth approaching NJD for a sign and trade like the Severson deal?

With the Hronek, Provorov, and Ekholm trades , Calgary’s asking price is going to be at least a 1st round pick, a 2nd or equivalent, and a good young forward. Hanifin is also better than the names above so that also needs to be factored in.

None of which we can afford to pay.

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

33 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve said it in other threads, Hanifin would be great if he finds chemistry with Hronek.  

That’s a classy top pair in their prime/mid 20s we can grow with. 

The price might be too much, though.  Really think we need to use this 11OA to try and find Miller’s heir apparent at 2C.  Pretty unique opportunity to land that piece outside the top 10 this year.

This is a big part of why I'm so hellbent on our getting a center at 11, I've been quite vocal regarding my skepticism about how Miller will age.

Anyone we draft will be 18 and likely need at least a couple seasons of develop, it's unlikely we get an impact player off the hop, but even if it takes them 4-5 years that lines up with Miller's being 34-35. The only center prospect we have who maybe projects as top six is Raty, not good enough.

4-5 years also takes Pettersson to 29-30, we absolutely need to be thinking about who steps up behind him sooner than later, and about who takes over for Miller. If we want any semblance of a sustainable window we need to be bolstering our prospect pool at center sooner than later.

We aren't guaranteed success over the next 4-5 seasons and it'll fly by quicker than people think.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, billabong said:

He’s American so he’ll probs request for a USA based team 

Not necessarily.

JT is American and lots of folks here said no way he extends here. I was one of the few that said no he is staying.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Edited by grandmaster

Canucksdaily reporting a crazy, unbelievable offer for Hanifin. 
‘Garland (1M retained), Hoglander, 11th OA, 3rd and 2X4ths. 
Ridiculous crap that. 
(Also that we are in for sign and trade for Barbashev extended for 8)

I like that it sounds we are being aggressive don’t believe the first though. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Wat 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2