The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Players Will Not Extend in Calgary, Expected to be Traded

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

Yes sign Ryan Graves 28--LD - 6'5 - 220lbs- PK - log 21--23 mins--gritty #3 guy makes Vancouver much better.

This type of D is what Canucks really need..

Might sign for between 4.2--4.5 AAV X 4 yrs.. 

i can get behind this

if assets are spent on a dman spend them on a guy who can play the role of Tanev for Hughes

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

In Canadian cities the hockey players are always recognized away from the rink. They are always on the job. Never a moment to relax, which is hard on the family guys. In the US they can collect their millions, live the great life of the elite rich, and no one knows who they are. They wander the streets as Walt by millionaires in total anonymity. They can go out with their wives and kids without ever worrying about some crazy fsn ruining their private time. This is why guys prefer the US markets. It’s not taxes or weather. It’s about anonymity and zero pressure. 

I was explaining this to my wife. The arena's are still full and loud when they need to be, that is about as far as a player needs the market to go. They want to feel the support while playing, but away from the rink the smaller the market the better in terms of being recognized. Vancouver is almost the opposite, the arena can be so quiet, yet most of the city will recognize the players at a restaurant, beach...etc.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Can't help but think folks might be a bit surprised by what Graves ends up getting 

Totally agreed.  Clearly if the Canucks could really use a defenceman like him, many other teams could also use him.  Therefore, bidding war.  Therefore, $5.5 to $6M man on a long term deal. 

People that think he'll be signed at $4M AAV are out to lunch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much. I keep reading about how he'd be a good fit and I'm just like, you know there are other teams out there looking for D right? Has nothing to do with me being a downer, it simply isn't a very impressive crop of UFA's, which means the higher end guys will be in demand and likely command more. Let's take a look at D who played 50+ games last season.

For LD you're looking at Jack Johnson (36), Brian Dumoulin (31), Marc Staal (36), Niki Mikkola (27), Ian Cole (34), Ryan Graves (28), Carson Soucy (28), Shayne Gostisbehere (30), Erik Gustafsson (31), Dmitry Kulikov (32), Dmitry Orlov (31), Nick Holden (36), Alex Edler (37), Matt Irwin (35), OEL (31), Calvin De Haan (32), Jordan Oesterle (31), Nathan Beaulieu (30), and Gavin Bayreuther (29). 

Some of these guys may not be back at all because of age, guys in this bracket include Jack Johnson, Marc Staal, Ian Cole, Nick Holden, Alex Edler, and Matt Irwin. 

Guys I've mentioned who I'd consider as being able to slot into one's top 4 are Ryan Graves, Brian Dumoulin, Shayne Gostisbehere, Dmitry Orlov, and maybe Carson Soucy and OEL. Six guys. Break it down further to the youngest of these six and you're looking at Soucy and Graves, both of whom are 28. Age matters because there's a better chance of getting longer term value from younger UFA's. 

If we look at RD UFA's who played 50 games or more the pickings are slimmer. Some of them are D who I've listed but who are listed as both LD and RD. 

They include Scott Mayfield (30), Troy Stecher (29), Justin Holl (29), Matt Dumba (28), Ian Cole (34), Connor Clifton (28), Carson Soucy (28), Shayne Gostisbehere (30), Kevin Shattenkirk (34), Travis Hamonic (32), Radko Gudas (33), Luke Schenn (33), John Klingberg (30), Dmitry Kulikov (32), Erik Johnson (35), Matt Irwin (35), Calvin De Haan (32), Jordan Oesterle (31), Nathan Beaulieu (30), and Gavin Bayreuther (29). Many of the same names.

As with the LD some of these guys may not be back at all. For RD I could see that being maybe Kevin Shattenkirk and Erik Johnson.

So for top 4 guys I'm looking at maybe Ryan Graves, Brian Dumoulin, Shayne Gostisbehere, Dmitry Orlov, Carson Soucy, OEL, Scott Mayfield, Matt Dumba, and John Klingberg. Mayfield, Soucy, and Graves are guys I keep seeing mentioned but if they make it to UFA they're likely going to be in demand. 

Also worth noting is that some players may not make it to UFA at all. Isles may retain Mayfield, Kraken may retain Soucy. 

Kinda feels like the Tyler Myers UFA year....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Can't help but think folks might be a bit surprised by what Graves ends up getting 

Yep, I can easily see a team offering him the Myers contract. Personally I wouldn't want to pay that much for him, and he might take a lesser deal to play for a contender, but I can definitely see someone offering it.

45 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Yep, I can easily see a team offering him the Myers contract. Personally I wouldn't want to pay that much for him, and he might take a lesser deal to play for a contender, but I can definitely see someone offering it.

Wouldn't surprise me. I could see a team like Ottawa having interest in Graves, particularly if they do end up shipping DeBrincat out and don't take a bunch of cap back. 

Could maybe see Buffalo having interest too, the only D with term they have right now is Samuelsson. Power and Dahlin will need to be re-upped soon, both will be RFA's after next season. I think they can both play both sides unless I'm mistaken. Jokiharju will be an RFA after next season and Lyubushkin will be a UFA. Bryson and Stillman will also be RFA's. If Buffalo wants to tweak their D they have the flex to do so, even with the Dahlin and Power extensions incoming. 

Neither team is on Jersey's level but Buffalo showed last season that they're probably not too far away from being a playoff team if they can get their goals against down. Ottawa has a lot of young talent too and recently bolstered their D with Chychrun. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Hanifin is the real deal, and I have a feeling more of the Flames players are going to jump ship before the new season. Hanifin and Hronek would be a legit top line pairing. Have Hughes and and an offseason signing as 1b and Quinn can soak up all the PP minutes. Our D would be completely rebuilt. I wonder if our 2023 1st, Connor Garland and Jack Rathbone would do it considering Calgary's position here.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Hanafin is ok, not a top D but good complimentary piece.  Canucks need to weaponize cap space created and gain assets to speed things up and not be so much in the now with their decisions.

Old arena/amenities, poor choice in coach (Sutter) and being capped out with an aging team.  Players see it, want out.

1 hour ago, Deets said:

Hanifin is the real deal, and I have a feeling more of the Flames players are going to jump ship before the new season. Hanifin and Hronek would be a legit top line pairing. Have Hughes and and an offseason signing as 1b and Quinn can soak up all the PP minutes. Our D would be completely rebuilt. I wonder if our 2023 1st, Connor Garland and Jack Rathbone would do it considering Calgary's position here.

I would do this deal, but Calgaruy would have to allow us to extend Hanifin, you cannot give away #11 for one year of any player

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Add Backlund to the list:  

Lol everyone’s jumping ship in cowtown, even their ahl coach is going to Washington.

the Lames can’t go on a full rebuild with their veteran lineup and 10.5m dollar hooberdough, so hopefully they go crazy on the free agency market.

:bigblush:

• There it is 1

There's definitely something going on in Calgary when none of the players want to stay even after dumping Sutter. Losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau and now Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund all apparently wanting out is a pretty major red flag.

• Cheers 1