The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks poking on Pesce

There is certainly a road to see our D finish its improvement. As of tomorrow (?), Myers' bonus will be paid and he should be entirely movable - maybe even for a small asset. Then move one of our extra top/middle 6 wingers or package them with Myers so that one way or another, we get our 1b to compliment Hughes. (Whether that be Pesce or someone similar who maybe isn't seemingly on a decline already)

If Allvin manages to make this happen before opening night, my confidence for success this season would jump from "guardedly moderate" to "high".

Just now, kloubek said:

There is certainly a road to see our D finish its improvement. As of tomorrow (?), Myers' bonus will be paid and he should be entirely movable - maybe even for a small asset. Then move one of our extra top/middle 6 wingers or package them with Myers so that one way or another, we get our 1b to compliment Hughes. (Whether that be Pesce or someone similar who maybe isn't seemingly on a decline already)

If Allvin manages to make this happen before opening night, my confidence for success this season would jump from "guardedly moderate" to "high".

Agreed but not many teams can fit the Myers cap hit of 6mill. That’s the biggest hurdle imho…what the cost is to shed that

Just now, RWJC said:

Agreed but not many teams can fit the Myers cap hit of 6mill. That’s the biggest hurdle imho…what the cost is to shed that

Yeah, the actual teams that will be interested in absorbing that are few. But at least it's good value for the team that would acquire him, so although I understand other GMs wanting to weaponize their cap space, I still think it's a smart move for a rebuilding team to take on a vet like Myers who should be stable enough on a crappy team for 1M. I think there is enough value there that the Canucks wouldn't need to add. I hate seeing the team send out assets PLUS sweeteners. That's why when people were/are taking about giving away picks to take Garland, etc, I'm like... heck no. He DOES have worth - even it it may not be equally proportionate to salary.

If Myers has no takers without hurting our futures, I say we play the season with him. He MAY still have a bounceback season, and may hold value at the TDL. Although I know everyone involved wants this to be the turn-around year for the team (and it still can be), it's unlikely all the new and old players will gel immediately and that we rise to the top of the league this season anyway.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Forsling is also due a hefty raise. It'll be interesting to see what Florida does.

It's not ideal but they could buy out or pay to dump Bob, it'd give them two years of 6.6M of dead cap followed by two years of 1.6M

But that could be a tough argument of he can play anywhere near the level he did during last season's playoffs during the season 

Also depends on how things go with Knight

Not sure what they could give up given how they've been trading picks but it makes more sense to try and move him, he has to submit a 16 team NTC for July 1st, 2024, that doesn't make it easy though either 

Might have to be a buyout 

The other wildcard is pending UFA Reinhart, he should at least get his current 6.5M somewhere after what's been back to back 30 goal seasons going into this one 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If you get Pesce in return it makes a tonne of sense. 

We need centres as much as we need defence.

Pesce could turn into a Myers 2.0 as well.

I'm not saying depending on the trade it could work. But I'd want someone younger and on the rise.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If you get Pesce in return it makes a tonne of sense. 

We need RD more than we need C's imo. The important part is being set with options in the top 6 with Pettersson and Miller able to take on those roles. 3C is where we have a need and those are attainable. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We need RD more than we need C's imo. The important part is being set with options in the top 6 with Pettersson and Miller able to take on those roles. 3C is where we have a need and those are attainable. 

But weakening one area, to shore up another still doesn't work.

Trading a winger (prospect) to go after a developing defenceman who's about to break out , might be better bet. But a bigger gamble.

Since we're already deep on wing.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Problem being, there's also a solid chance Miller starts age related regression in the next few years and may need to move to wing, or 3C. We'll need someone capable of playing mid 6 C. 

I'd move basically any prospect at this point other than Willander, Raty or Silovs.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

But weakening one area, to shore up another still doesn't work.

Trading a winger (prospect) to go after a developing defenceman who's about to break out , might be better bet. But a bigger gamble.

Since we're already deep on wing.

not many teams trade this calibre dman for a winger would be easier to trade Beauvillier for a young C 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Problem being, there's also a solid chance Miller starts age related regression in the next few years and may need to move to wing, or 3C. We'll need someone capable of playing mid 6 C. 

I'd move basically any prospect at this point other than Willander, Raty or Silovs.

That can be sorted 3-4 years from now and is not happening anytime too soon.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Carolina really liked Hoglander....would they be willing to take a package of Hoglander and Myers for Pesce?

Very unlikely, but would like to see the team use that leverage to get a dman that can be a difference maker for us.

Yeah I love hogz but it costs something to get something. 

That sounds like a win win to me. 

I see Hogz putting up better numbers than Garland  quite quickly. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That can be sorted 3-4 years from now and is not happening anytime too soon.

No, it really can't. You need that player developing and getting reps further down the lineup over the next couple years. Waiting until it becomes a problem means plugging holes via expensive UFAs or expensive trades.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Name me 2 other top 4 RD that are available, I'll wait. 

That are also the PERFECT complement in play style to Hughes. 

Just now, aGENT said:

No, it really can't. You need that player developing and getting reps further down the lineup over the next couple years. Waiting until it becomes a problem means plugging holes via expensive UFAs or expensive trades.

That are also the PERFECT complement in play style to Hughes. 

I don't mean adress it 3-4 years from now, I mean move a Winger (Beauvillier) or Myers for a developing C and proceed from there, we also have 3+ more drafts to address this.