The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks poking on Pesce

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard pass.  Pesce is turning 30 this year and is already showing signs of regressing.  Also, we don't have the cap space to sign another Dman to a $6 million+ long term contract.  We need that money for Hronek next year.  Plus, we already drafted the future partner for Hughes.  

I prefer we go after a short-term target to play with Hughes until Willander is ready.  I'd be fine with Luke Schenn for 2 years.  With Hronek in the lineup, he could also play minutes with Hughes, so Schenn doesn't have to play 20 minutes a night with us.

yea, pesce here makes little sense.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard pass.  Pesce is turning 30 this year and is already showing signs of regressing.  Also, we don't have the cap space to sign another Dman to a $6 million+ long term contract.  We need that money for Hronek next year.  Plus, we already drafted the future partner for Hughes.  

I prefer we go after a short-term target to play with Hughes until Willander is ready.  I'd be fine with Luke Schenn for 2 years.  With Hronek in the lineup, he could also play minutes with Hughes, so Schenn doesn't have to play 20 minutes a night with us.

He turns 29 in November. Not old. Canucks need more physicality on the back end. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, with drafting Willander, sign Schenn for 2 years and Graves for 4/5 years would be ideal. Following defense wouldn’t be all that bad for 23/24:

Hughes-Schenn

Graves-Hronek

Hiriose/Bris/Burroughs/etc-Myers

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Is Pesce really the best target to pair with Quinn long term?

He's like a bigger, more physical Tanev, with a bit more offense. Other than having some miles on him he's pretty bang on IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

I seen a mock trade on Facebook last week and it was Pesce for Hoglander Boeser and a pick and so many people are clueless and have no idea what this team needs lol.

Brett Pesce would be a dream come true for this d core. It would be funny if this came true. Or is Pagnotta surfing social media and making up rumors.

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well, Chris Higgins did, though they were a contender then.

Not saying no New Yorker will ever sign with us.

But context is key.  Higgins was a middle six two way guy and was traded to us at the trade deadline iirc.  And like you said we were contenders.

Pesce is one year away from UFA and most likely sign 7/8 year deal that will be the last of his career.  He will be sought after in a grim defenseman market.

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Not really sure what we could offer tbh. 

1st is automatic.

Likely could use a cheaper scoring winger so beauviller would be in the deal.

Maybe beauviller + raty + 2024 1st

But we would have to be sure that we were contending. 

Sweet, giving up futures to keep fighting for just below the middle.  It's worked for the last 12 years why not try it again ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1