The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks poking on Pesce

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah, he'll probably play out this season and walk.  This is Carolina's year to win it all and everyone knows it.  Unless they're in trouble at the deadline, it's not like they can acquire a better RHD by trading him away.

Pesce will be on the move - in July.

That's the ideal outcome for us. Hope it happens and we can snag him in free agency.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That's the ideal outcome for us. Hope it happens and we can snag him in free agency.

Assuming he keeps up the level of play he did this past year, he is likely going to command upwards of $7.5 million per year, especially if the cap does go up.  We need to pay Hronek and Pettersson.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

6.5x6 deal and we play him with Captain Quinn.  How can he refuse?

He can refuse by accepting more money somewhere else.  I really don't think 6.5M is gonna cut it.  And I say this as someone who's hesitant about Pesce, as you already know.

On second thought, I feel like Pesce could get moved, given the insane logjam on that blueline.  They have like 10 defencemen who are NHL-level skaters.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He can refuse by accepting more money somewhere else.  I really don't think 6.5M is gonna cut it.  And I say this as someone who's hesitant about Pesce, as you already know.

On second thought, I feel like Pesce could get moved, given the insane logjam on that blueline.  They have like 10 defencemen who are NHL-level skaters.

He's already been given permission to talk extension with other teams.  Wouldn't that be a sign that they are willing to trade him?  They brought in Deangelo.  They are stacked on the left side, Orlov can probably play on the right side.  I'm not sure Carolina is an organization that would be willing to lose Pesce for nothing.  We will see...

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Assuming he keeps up the level of play he did this past year, he is likely going to command upwards of $7.5 million per year, especially if the cap does go up.  We need to pay Hronek and Pettersson.

Legitimate chance Pettersson pulls a Tkachuk if this team isn’t good next year, so that might not be a problem. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agreed, our time to try and peak is next season.  

So happy that our management displayed restraint for once over a summer. 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed, our time to try and peak is next season.  

So happy that our management displayed restraint for once over a summer. 

Benning :picard: is gone. It’s been two summers now of smart (similar to Gillis the Great) Management. 

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't think he gets a $7.5m deal personally, but we shall see. With Pesce, our once abysmal D suddenly looks like one of the best in the league. I'd happily plug kids and league min guys in the rest of the roster to make that happen.

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think he gets a $7.5m deal personally, but we shall see. With Pesce, our once abysmal D suddenly looks like one of the best in the league. I'd happily plug kids and league min guys in the rest of the roster to make that happen.

Here’s a current list of potentially UFA Dmen at the end of this upcoming season. Could illustrate who becomes available to sign and/or becomes competition in making both roster and cap space for a Pesce signing:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2024/defenseman/ufa/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Here’s a current list of potentially UFA Dmen at the end of this upcoming season. Could illustrate who becomes available to sign and/or becomes competition in making both roster and cap space for a Pesce signing:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2024/defenseman/ufa/

Wonder how much Montour is about to get next season..... 9+?

• Cheers 2

Without Pesce (or a similar top 4 defenceman) we've really just got Hughes (a top 5 guy IMO), Hronek (a solid 20+ minute top 4 all around guy), Cole (a bit older but a fringe top-4 guy), Soucy (Seattle's 3rd pairing guy last year), Myers (arguably bottom pairing on any team, no better) and then a spot for Hirose, Irwin, Wolanin or Rathbone (none of them crack a playoff team defence).

We're so close to a decent defence, acquiring someone like Pesce or Hanifin would take us over the top. Without someone like that, we're alright but a real wild card spot calibre defence.

I wouldn't wait until the offseason, we could crash by then and it matters a lot to what we do with Petey and Hronek's deals. I'd go all in now if we can. Flip that first and a roster player, that should do the job for potentially a rental/someone who won't resign in their current team anyway. 1st + Beauvillier/Garland and throw a defensive prospect if they want for either of Pesce or Hanifin. I'd honestly even bite if they wanted Boeser.

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Wonder how much Montour is about to get next season..... 9+?

The teams that appear to be able to fit a Pesce signing, both in terms of rostering and cap turnover, at quick glance are: FLA, NJD, TOR, VAN, VGK.

We clear 9mill if we don’t bring back Myers (6) and Cole (3)

Edited by RWJC

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Without Pesce (or a similar top 4 defenceman) we've really just got Hughes (a top 5 guy IMO), Hronek (a solid 20+ minute top 4 all around guy), Cole (a bit older but a fringe top-4 guy), Soucy (Seattle's 3rd pairing guy last year), Myers (arguably bottom pairing on any team, no better) and then a spot for Hirose, Irwin, Wolanin or Rathbone (none of them crack a playoff team defence).

We're so close to a decent defence, acquiring someone like Pesce or Hanifin would take us over the top. Without someone like that, we're alright but a real wild card spot calibre defence.

I wouldn't wait until the offseason, we could crash by then and it matters a lot to what we do with Petey and Hronek's deals. I'd go all in now if we can. Flip that first and a roster player, that should do the job for potentially a rental/someone who won't resign in their current team anyway. 1st + Beauvillier/Garland and throw a defensive prospect if they want for either of Pesce or Hanifin. I'd honestly even bite if they wanted Boeser.

Agree 

also what if hronek is not fully healed or has a down year 

then our D might look similar to last year 

one injury to Hughes, hronek, Cole and we look awful again…

we need a pesce or a Morissey 

and trading hogs+ 1st+ a cap balancer like beauvellier (ica but preferably trade garland to free up cap next year) should do it 

yes we then have re sign Pesce to big money but we have so much wasted cap in wingers